Your favorite weapon!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Sonshu, Oct 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Would be the katana for me.
    Yeah, very cliche, but I've been learning to use one since I was a wee child...literaly.
    It's the one I'd take into a fight more than anything else.

2. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Slap Gloves, i havent read the entire thread so i dont know if they are mentioned but they are heavy gloves with metal bars(Smaller ones) thru the fingers and knuckles, and some tend to have claws or Talons at the figer tips and along the fingers themelves. Would prove handy towards my Close style of MA...

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

you could always go for the other option....

Inject your gloves with mercury.

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

yeah mercury is heavy stuff and it would form fit to your hand in the glove, never mind that its a rather insidious etal will seep through the glowe given teh chance.
    And I always thought that sap gloves used lead powered or pellets for teh weight.

5. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

As were the medieval daggers that most greatswordwielders train against. (Meaning that the surprise-factor of beeing able to block and close is lost, as a proper greatswordwielder will have had hours of sparring vs. sai'ish weapons)
    As were the medieval daggers that most greatswordwielders train against.
    NO, you seem to underestimate the fact that any proper longswordwielder will dedicate much attention and training on sai'ish weapons, and will know perfectly well the sai's capabilities and limitations. I've been sparring for 4 years with both daggers and longswords (+grappeling), and if both parties are of equal skill, it's only the weapons advantages and disadvantages that matters, and there, the long/greatsword comes out on top, and the reasons why, I described above.

-and a greatsword cannot be wielded together with a duo/trio of daggers :rolleyes:
    -and again, you seem to forget that if we let the greatswordwielder be as competent as your sai wielder for a change, and don't get hoocked up on what hollywood teach us about an averidge greatswordwielders capabilities, you'll realize that speed gets you nowhere, as the one with the longest weapon have the shortest way to go and is equally fast as you. The fact that you don't believe/don't comprehend my previous post's argument; conserning the greatsword wielded in "half-sword"; prooves to me that it indeed is YOU that stand for the underestimating here :p

Well, you must be very good, then, congratulations :rolleyes:

This sort of "I'm very good"-arguments are sort of ...not apealing to me. How can I know that what you say is true?

I've been sparring vs. daggerwielders a lot but I usually beat the crap out of them (-now what does that tell you? Either I lie, or I excaggerate, or I only sparr with crap daggerwielders, or I'm very good, that makes 25% reason for believing me).

Allso remember that most longswordwielders don't want to go to the electrical chair, just to proove their worth.... If a longswordwielder really wanted to kill you, he'd be capable of delivering blows that are quite hard, so hard, that in medieval manuals most daggerblocks against longswordattacks are shown and recomended with both hands on the dagger, one hand on the grip and one hand on the tip of the blade.... (And this is not be bragging, it's taken directly from authentic daggermanuals from around year 1410 - 1550 ad.) This is the problem with the great/long-swords (or in fact all the swords you brag about beein capable of winning over with your sai); they have to be controlled, or they kill you, and that makes them go a bit slower than they would, and that again makes it easier for you to take them out, as a little sai is easy to controll, and you thus can go at faster speeds that your swordwielding opponents.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  6. Esgrimador

Esgrimador New Member

LOL...

I can only surmise that the other fellows you bouted against had no friggin' idea what they were doing.

7. gpinkert

gpinkert Valued Member

I've only been studying it recently but the jian sword(tai chi sword) I find to be extremely effective. Although it requires a lot more footwork and the use of the weapon is a bit different then the katana which is what I've been studying. But it's a lot of fun, good amount of range, excellent speed.

8. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

What's the size, weight, shape, balance? Do you have pics? Do you use it in combination with dagger/shield/wresteling, or is it "pure" sparring-techniques you learn?

9. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

I dont Jian are taught with the use of a defensive secondary weapon, ie sheilds or daggers.Its a one handed sword and thats it. And usually not a very long one at that. That reminds though. On a naother forum this guy who studies fiore says it bears a striking simlarity to a form of tai chi. Think of a jain as a side sword or arming sword.

10. dadder12

dadder12 New Member

i would say two knives, strapped to my palms, so i could throw or push at the same time as stabby stabby :D
    i would also be able to hold a staff at the same time.

11. bum-eyes

bum-eyes Sorry about your dog.

Okay, I probably wouldn't have the strength to handle one of those(hell, I have trouble controlling an average-size katana). TBH I'd prefer a taiaha.

12. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Favorite weapon-the sais !

My absolute favorite weapons are sais. Having watched black belts do a bo and a sai kata in our dojo I've got to say there are the most amazing weapons to use if you know how to use them. Throwing and stabbing weapons as well as that you can use the handle to knock someone out as well.....

Concerning effectiveness....I haven't been MA's for long enough but judging by the MA's movies I've watched I would say the bo staff.

Christian

13. Peng Mao Rong

Peng Mao Rong New Member

14. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Nunchuku because it's so fluid in it's movements and very quick.However it takes a lot of practice to be able to control the nunchuku very effectively.

15. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Rope dart.. modified to be longer (15' long) with a dart on each end.. one for striking up close with my free hand and the other on the end to throw it out, entangle, strangle, slice, dice, and even liquify... :)

16. KSprenk

KSprenk be

Bo, i have trained the most with it so I am probably best with it, either that or a bokken.

17. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

liquify? how would that work? besides it takes the fun out of hearing your weapon scrap against your opponents skin :D

18. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

1) Buntot pagi: The tail of a stingray or mantaray (or similar sea-animal). In the Philippines, one method of preparing one as a defensive weapon of sorts is to let it dry in the sun, but by putting sections of bamboo within the tail first while it's still flexible. Once it dries, you have a weapon better than a whip. It's used to fend off attack dogs, etc. It's extremely painful & it also inflicts some kinds of nasty skin infections or diseases;

2) A simple stainless-steel fork: Bringing a spoon, knife and fork to work in your lunch bag or briefcase can later be of use to you. It's not an illegal or restricted weapon. It's an everyday utensil used for eating. There wouldn't be suspicion as to why you'd be carrying with you. The tines of the fork can cause just the right amount of damage in the hands of a FMA practitioner or anyone else for that matter.

19. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Well if you were ninja you should've gotten the exploding dart memo...

Did you not get the memo?!

20. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

A couple of sticks or stick and knife... :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.