Your Duty As A Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Shugo, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Shugo

Shugo New Member

Remeber you never fight to amuse,but instead to defend.What I'm wondering is how many peolple have felt a tremendous pressure ut upon themselves when put up against a threat.Im young and still go to scholl,I run into problems with other students daily.Even tho I know I could prove to them Im capable of defeating them easily I retain from any actions.I feel guilty or some times like I could have made my self more popular by beating that person.But I cant change the past and keep on going.I always reapeat this in my head:I only fight to protect the weak and unjustified.I only fight to defend the ones I love.I only fight when there is no escape,I will only fight because I'am a warrior of justice and peace.'I wish to speak to other martial artist who have faced this situation,and what helped you guys/girls get over it easily? :confused:

2. mixmastersenior

mixmastersenior Valued Member

Shugo,
    As you get older, you will start to realize the opinions of others about you is not nearly as important as it seems now. It is understandable to feel the need to prove yourself to others. The greatest realization you can have is finally realizing that your self image cannot be based upon the opinions of others. Self confidence is knowing what is right and always doing it, and not caring whether or not others think you are cool. You know your abilities, the urge to show off is a need for the approval of others. A common malady among young people. If you can overcome this need and rise above the petty insecurities of peer pressure, you will have attained a level of self discipline and self confidence worthy of a Master. this is one of the secrets that will make you a leader among men. This is not an easy accomplishment. The need for acceptance and approval is very strong. Your core values must be stronger. always feed the right psyche with your actions.

3. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Well, that was quite the bundle of cliché's now wasn't it. Shugo, I don't mean to offend or to rip on TKD, but I don't really like the whole mindset you're carrying around. TKD is more of a sporting martial art, it isn't a system which is very practical in a street fight... my cousin is a black belt in TKD and before I even began training in Muay Thai I would still always beat him easily in NHB sparring matches. Walking around with the belief in your head that you could easily beat the crap out of anybody around you is a dangerous notion to carry, especially if it isn't justified. It really sounds like you're itching for a justifiable opportunity to try and show off in a fight. What holds me back from fights... common sense, and being easy going. Nice, affable people don't get into many fights.

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Wow Thaiboxer, thats a good way to start your visit here, blasting TKD. Oh well, I'll leave the rebuttal to someone else.

The way you defeat others is just to ignore them. Walk away. You'll end up the winner.

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Let's not turn this into an art "X" is bad. There are poor TKD school and there are great TKD schools just like any other art.

At the same time, there is an important point raised by Thaibxr's post. Don't necessarily assume anything. You shouldn't give your opponent an advantage by thinking that they are better than you. But at the same time, don't ever assume that you can take anyone out.

And mixmastersenior had a great point (though one that most of us only truely learn in retrospect): that other's opinions of you don't matter all that much.

Shugo (welcome to MAP btw and thanks for sharing), it sounds like you have the right idea. You should only fight if there is no other way of handling the situation. And we've had a lot of discussions in the forum by people in similiar situations. Dealing with Bullies and Jerks, especially when you know martial arts is really tough.

- Matt

6. nForce

nForce Banned Banned

my duty as a 'martial artist' is the same as the next guy who isnt one

theres a whole lot of emphasis put on 'being a martial artist', 'i am a martial artist, it is now my duty to protect the innocent!', this is real life mate not some comic book

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

You have no 'duty' as a martial artist to do anything, except that which you want. However, you may feel that as a human being you may have a duty to defend or protect those that are incapable of defending themselves. That's cool. But being a martial artist has nothing to do with it. Just because we study the MA's doesn't mean all of a sudden there is a big flash of lightning and a voice says "You must now protect the weak and innocent for you have the power and sacred duty... blah blah blah yada yada". If you did not have those feelings before, you ain;t gonna have them now. Some folks train to fight, some for health, some for fun and some for their own personal reasons.

Kwaj said best. Walk away. You can't lose if you do.

8. SCP_Kensei

SCP_Kensei www.taintedlover.com

Exactly, the only duty you have is your suty as a human being.

Being a martial artist doesnt make you special, it doesnt make you hard, or give you unique abilities. All it makes you is fit and it teaches you one method of fighting.

The only difference between you and they guy next to you on the bus is that you spend a couple of hours a week in a gym wearing glorified pyjamas and swinging your limbs around. And maybe you sopend a few hours at home doing that too.

I'm the same, I study Muay thai, Kali and (until recently) Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. It doesnt make me some stick wielding Thai Boxer Nija super hero, it makes me a guy who likes getting into a sweat, losing weight and learning new ways to break bones (usually mine).

I used to feel like you (from watching too many Bruce Lee movies and reading too much Steven Hayes) but I got overit when I realised these feeling of responsibility and power weren't to do with me being a martial artist; but me being a man.

Part of being a man, any man (or woman) is the need for self confidence, and the approval of one's peers. Quite often to a young man that means laying the smack down on some poor chump who isnt as fit or as fast as you due to lack of traing but who thought you would be an easy target, god knows I did it when I got some decent training behind me.

Pretty soon you'll look back on this mperiod and smile, you'll smile because you didnt try and "prove" yourself, because the first time you see a "martial artist" get ripped to pieces outside a bar by some drunkold man who learned to fight the hard way you'll be thankfull you dint try to show everyone your "|337 N1nja skillzorz" and end up in hospital.

9. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

I'm not blasting on TKD, I'm saying that it's mainly a sporting art, especially north america... which is true. Because you take TKD doesn't mean you're going to be able to beat the living daylights out of somebody, because I take Muay Thai doesn't mean I'm going to be able to beat the living daylights out of somebody... the fact of the matter is that most street fights end up on the ground, and walking around with the notion that his TKD training means he can swiftly dispose of anybody he wants to, coupled with his seemingly present desire to show off in a fight is a bad mix when reality comes into the picture.

10. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

haha, yep

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing. It sounds like some comic superhero's soliloquy.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2005
  11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

As humorous as it sounds - those aren't a bad set of things to have floating through you head. You could have a whole lot worse ideas in there.

There is nothing wrong with the occasional scrap. It doesn't really matter what it's for... highschool is a good time to go through a lot of the punch up stuff.

Why?

Because generally speaking - it doesn't become a huge legal hassle at that point. Scrapping when your out of highschool can have massive legal consequences.

A punch up every now and then is part of growing up. It's practically a compulsory subject. Better to deal with the problems of parents and of principals than to have to deal with lawyers and the legal system. :D

Most highschool punch ups end up with a black eye or busted lip. No big deal to be honest. Being in highschool your young enough to soak up that kind of thing without too much thought... as you get older... injuries take longer to heal and don't look so good at the office. lol.

Quit kidding yourself. This is martial artist fantasy number 1. lol.

I am not saying run right out and get in a fight... but if you end up in a situation where someone tells you to put up or shut up... put up and put them down. Simple as that. Until you do that - all your training remains untested. So you're walking around with the big 'if' on your shoulder.

If I had dollar for every kid in highschool that practiced TKD or whatever MA and then got the beat down by a kid that was simply more aggressive or first to 'get off' then I'd be rich. Don't be one of those kids.

You don't need to run around being the white knight for universal justice and peace. Highschool is a great time to have a punch up. :D

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'd say that your attitude is already quite mature - you think (rightly or wrongly) that you could beat these people but you are already holding yourself back and exercising self-restraint.

Regarding popularity: there are all sorts of people in the world, if you go hacking into people you'll make yourself popular with some types. If you hold back when picked on you'll make yourself popular with others. I guess t depends on what kind of friends you want, if you follow my meaning . . .

Hope the above makes sense. Two of my colleagues have just turned my office into a bleedin' disco! I don't think I'll be getting much work done today. :(

13. Shugo

Shugo New Member

I can understand where the most of you think there is no 'duty' as a martial artist but infact there is one.One that has been in the hearts of all those who have stepped into a dojo,dojang,ect.The duty of completeing a goal.My instructer had a talk with me today on the one thing that keeps him going,the fact that he never gave up.Being a martial artist helps calm the mind,body,and spirit.I also understand how others can feel Im just some young kid with his head in the clouds but the truth is I know this is reality,I could die any second and nothing could help me.The only thing that makes me diffrent from a man who doesnt train in the arts or any sport is a passion to push my self,this strenght also would be matched by any athelte.I do as I'am taught,Instead Of Following a path I make my own and leave a trail for others.This is my duty as a martial artist.Good day-Shugo

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The only duty we have is to our selves. If we weren't paying the instructor we might have a duty to him for giving us his knowledge. But other than that, nada. We owe no one anything...

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Shugo,

You're right. You do have a duty to yourself. And that includes keeping yourself safe. What some of us were reacting to was that it seemed like you were suggesting that you were responsible for keeping the peace or to interceed in every conflict. And that often doesn't jive with the need to keep youself safe.

Thanks for contributing and keep on posting! It sounds like you have an excellent instructor.

- Matt

16. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Can you supply the evidence for this? Out of the fights I've seen, only around 10% of the time both go to groud.

17. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Huh? Man, nobody has a duty to keep at it... I do it because I love it, if you don't enjoy it, then you're wasting your time. For me, I wouldn't say martial arts have calmed my mind body or spirit at all. I spent a lot of my day violently beating on a punching bag, pretending it's an opponent. Though I'm not training with violent audacity, I wouldn't exactly call that calm now. I probably wouldn't have gotten into some of the fights I have either, had I not trained in Muay Thai. I never go looking for fights, but in all honesty I've become quicker to get involved when one comes to me. I'm a little confused by your last sentence there too...

Seems a little Ironic... I do as I'm taught -- Instead of following a path? How exactly are you not following any path yet leaving a trail for others while practicing?

I'm probably being a little blunt to you here, and don't hate me for it, but it just sounds like your perception of reality is leaning a little towards fantasy.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  18. Abumi

Abumi New Member

I've been in your shoes before young Shugo,it seems that you might have an ego problem,but your still young,its gonig to happen.I'm just gload to see you standing up for what you beleive.Im glad that the next generation of martial artist are so head strong.Unlike the past most of my students gave up easily.I enjoy reading the post by young martial artist.It proves that history still lives in the modern world.You are correct,everyone has a duty,you cant say what the duty is,cause everyone has one of there own.With no duty there is no sanity,duty,chi,chakra,etc.its as if everyone has a diffrent name for it but its all the same.Thats my young friend,is what keeps things going,will power.I hope you find what your looking for Shugo,you may seem alittle childish but I understand exactly how you feel.Same for the rest of you here,help others by pointing out their problems.Im glad to have chat with you all.Amita-Buhdda :D

Oh,and another thing about duties,unless your a Ninja or Samurai then you wont know your duties so sudden, :D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  19. CraigLeeJKD

CraigLeeJKD formerly 'into_the_abyss'

Well I think as far as "duty" goes it is an individual thing...but my duty to myself is to be the best that I can, as a person. If I see someone in trouble and think I can help them I'm damn well going to, and it has nothing to do with duty, I would do it because I wanted to and because it feels right to me.
    Shugo, as mentioned you do have a mature attitude and I respect you for that. So many people, teenagers and adults alike, think that because they know martial arts they can use it to intimidate people and gain status. It's a damn shame but there's not much that can be done about that.
    At the end of the day just learn to listen to yourself and trust your instincts.

20. Trinity

Trinity New Member

Mate to walk away from confrontations with confidence is a good thing alot of guys your age and some guys older think they have to prove themselves its a sign of lack of confidence and lake of skill. Good to see a young fella with his mind and spirit right.