Your Conditioning?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by XXXTigerXXX13, Mar 6, 2006.

1. XXXTigerXXX13

XXXTigerXXX13 New Member

Hey guys. I was just wondering what all things you did for conditioning. I condition about 4 times a week, and my workout consists of these:
    Assorted Stretches (about 5-6 minutes worth)
    40 Push-ups
    80 Sit-Ups
    Heavy Bag (about 15-20 minutes)
    Shadow Box (about 15 minutes)
    Jump Rope (5-6 minutes)
    Jog (about 1 mile)
    Stretch to cool down.

I was wondering what else would be good to add, and I'd like to see what all you guys do.

Thanks.

2. Storms of War

Storms of War Valued Member

I don't do Western boxing, but I Thai box. Here's my routine if you're interested-

For class which is 3 times per week, we do 200 crunches, between 30 and 75 push ups depending on how we're doing them, between 25 and 50 leg lefts, additional abdominal work which varies from class to class.

We stretch, then warm up with a system that my sifu designed. After that it's a half hour of pad work. I usually stay for two classes.

My conditioning that I do after class which is what I think you're more concerned with (correct me if I'm wrong) is as follows-

I hit the bag for between 5 and 6 hours total per week (a half hour before class, in between classes and after class three times a week, in addition to what I do on my bag at home). I try to shadow box as often as I can, but sometimes I'm too lazy. I wear 1lb weighted gloves while I shadow box.

I do push ups on my knuckles and I'm working on doing push ups on my finger tips. Finger tip push ups are very hard. At least for me as my hands are relatively small and my fingers don't have much girth.

I stretch for a long time. I usually go for an hour a day at least. I stretch during the day, if I have time at work and then for a long time at night. Sometimes more than an hour a day.

I don't run or jog since I don't have a treadmill and the weather has been horrible lately, not to mention I don't want to go running when it's 25 degrees ourside. New York is horrible in the winter. I don't jump rope either, but I really should. I have the rope. I just need the energy to jump it.

3. XXXTigerXXX13

XXXTigerXXX13 New Member

Excellent. I was wondering if I should do weights. I really don't know, because there is no gyms for boxing around here.

4. nonsense

nonsense Valued Member

that looks good Tiger,
    only 1 advice, I think the way your exercise is set as for longer, aerobic-type. Which is of course excellent itself.
    My advice is that sometimes use a different set of excercises, so that it focus more on explosive, short,anerobic-type

And weightlifting is a great way to get in better shape. Most weight training exercises are anerobic-type

5. XXXTigerXXX13

XXXTigerXXX13 New Member

What are some other exercises i could do then?
    Its a dumb question, but i'm kind of cut-off from a boxing community.

For speed, I jump rope, line jump, and shadow box with 5 lb weights.

I'm not big on the weights though. I never cared much for them. What would be good weight exercices to build power for punches and other stuff that benefits a boxer?

6. nonsense

nonsense Valued Member

About weightlifting, most MAists want to use weights as a means to use strength, but yet coordinations of important groups of muscles. What it means is using many important parts nicely 2gether.
    Certain excercises that fit with the description are:
    Bench press
    Deadlifts
    Squats

For punching stronger, faster, I think that standing curling (single or double arm are both good), certain exercises that I don't know the name of, but try things that will increase your forearms, biceps, triceps strengths, cordinations.
    Also do not neglect abs workout.. :)
    --------
    Here's just my opinion, I m not sure if it's your interest. I usually spar with my friends under light-MMA rules, so it's my interest to maintain strength in all parts of my body. I know that you wanna be a boxer. I personally never go 2 boxing classes, so I dont know if boxers in general want to maintain all-body strength

sorry, I dont know what you mean by that

7. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

www.rossboxing.com All the conditioning drills you need. I recommend getting Infinite Intensity if you want to buy a top notch conditioning book.

Burpees are my fave way of conditioing. Do 100 as quick as you can. Do Tabata inteval training etc.

Stop punching with weights unless you like the possiblity of damaging yourself.

8. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

now the lighter evenings are upon us and i can run later and for longer, i am putting together a routine for conditioning.

i run round my local park (alot of football pitches & half a mile round i'd say)

at each quarter stage incorporate sprints from a goalpost to another,
    20 squat thrusts in each goal mouth (barring there being people playing!)

i already do weight training at home with some free weights

9. B.Graham

B.Graham New Member

Although throughout the week I have my own workout--(weightlifting and cardio) Mr. Smothers has his own workout for the class. We do 2 minutes or jumproping, 30 seconds of sit-ups, 30 seconds of push-ups, 30 seconds or reverse crunches, 30 seconds of V-ups, 2 more minutes of jumproping, and reapet everything over again except with wide stance plyo-pushups (claps). And the workout is continuous, there is no rest period.

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hmmmm

Jumproping 100
    Jumping jacks 100
    pushups 50
    crunches 100

Kinda depends on my mood for the day, weightlifting, running, swimming....

11. ryanTKD

ryanTKD New Member

5-6 minutes stretching?

I would suggest a severe increase in the time spent stretching.

12. Song1

Song1 New Member

This is all useful information. I don't have much to add, but i am learning alot. Keep the posts comming :D

13. 187

187 New Member

I was thinking the same thing. Never underestimate your stretch time or you're opening yourself up to some hurt.

Especially for your heavy bag work. Make sure you are putting some serious attention towards your shoulders and back.

ME - Stretch at least 20 mins before and after any workout

14. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Yes, please listen to the guys about the stretching I've had many injuries that could have been avoided if I had not been so tight.

As for the topic explosiveness that was mentioned in a few earlier posts I would suggest doing power clings and snatches. We peformed these excersizes when I ran track, they are excellent for developing explosive power when coming off the block for a race or jumping event. This same explosive power is obviously beneficial to boxing just for a different body movement. Bicep curls are cool but for me personally I prefer good old fashioned pull-ups. Try doing a combined set of bench press/or a set of pushups followed immediately with a set of pull ups. After developing some proficiency try to increase the number of these combined or "supersets," with a brief rest period in between each one. And this brings you to another form of conditioning, supersetting. Backrows/dips, leg press (quadricep concentration)/leg curl (hamstring concentration), bench press/chin up. Basically selecting two excersizes that work different muscle groups and doing sets of each excersize with one following the other. This will do wonders for your overall conditioning.

And NK was right I've been to rossboxing and the dude is awesome.

15. Aussie Bob

Aussie Bob Valued Member

One of the sites someone mentioned here had a good one, which I've been working on.

100 jump ropes
    10 burpees
    10 push-ups
    10 squats

consecutively and X 10.

I've been doing it evey second day and timing myself. Made me realise how "out of nick" I actually am :cry:

16. XXXTigerXXX13

XXXTigerXXX13 New Member

Thats some good info. I havn't been able to really train at all this past week, I've been out with the flu.

Can you describe the V-ups?

When I said that I was cut off from the boxing community, I mean there are few boxers around here, and not a single gym with boxing gear within 30 miles.

Thanks again.

17. basf12

basf12 Valued Member

stretching and jog for warming up
    interval running
    4 x 100m run
    6 x 200m run
    2 x 400m run
    pylometrics both legs jump
    10 rounds x 2 mins - 30s rest
    100 push up
    300 sit up