your BJJ gripes

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Southpaw535, Sep 30, 2008.

1. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I made someone tap by just using side control yesterday, because my side control is mad pimp.

Also nailed an awesome side control choke on a load of people. And I brought the pain to a new guy who was big and strong by knee riding him, cause I felt like being a jerk.

This thread seems to pop up when I have good sessions!

2. shaolin fighter

shaolin fighter Banned Banned

I see that your 15 yrs. old.......You will change your mind when you get older. Working out with women is fun and motivating. Who wouldn't want to be in the guard of a woman (assuming she is good looking). I know plenty of women that can hold there own against a man and some that can even beat a man using BJJ. My first BJJ class I was paired up with a female and she was really good.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

dont get me wrong i enjoy training with them as its different to training with the guys. not least because of the few we have two are blue belts so they outrank just about everyone. i dunno maybe im just over cautious about offending people eh?

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If the women are blue belts you are not going to offend them by training with them. However, you might offend them by refusing to train with them.

The time to be a little careful when training with a woman is if she is a noobie and not sure of herself and what to do. If she's been training a while there should be no problem. The ones that get easily offended don't stay training for very long.

5. Southpaw535

i never refuse to train with them. its not a case of i wont train with women its just a thought at the back of my mind.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Who wouldn't want to be in the guard of a woman (assuming she is good looking).

Nice one. Women love it when men say that. They never tire of it and it is always funny.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Women are people too, people are great to train with. If your worrying about doing something inappropriate, then dont do anything inapproriate on purpose, anything else will just be an accident, its quite easy to tell the difference.

8. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

proper technique is never inappropriate, and nothing inappropriate is ever proper technique. focus on training, and you'll have no worries.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

Funnily enough, that's also the time to be careful when training with a man.

10. Southpaw535

true. i remember when i was partnered with a new bloke and we were doing a guard escape where part of it was to grab the gi near the groin. He looked really uncomfortable. although granted he was like double my age.

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Oh, I agree totally! I was training with a noobie male the other day who looked incredibly uncomfortable for most of the session!

12. homer_simps1

homer_simps1 King Procrastinator

So true. I'm THAT guy and just realized why I wasn't getting any better. I was relying on my strength and no technique and injuring myself in the process.

13. Toki_Nakayama

Toki_Nakayama Valued Member

mine is that Kyra Gracie is taken.

oh and that some of the stubborn top brass in the Army refuse to place more emphasis on incorporating more bjj into combatives and soldiers practicing it more often instead of as my dad

says "sissified pt for whimps"

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

wait so you think there should be more emphasis on BJJ in military combatives? Just out of curiosity..

1) are you a solider?

2) what is your rationale for pushing for more BJJ in military combatives?

Surely BJJ isn't going to be the main focus ever for military combatives. There are a myriad of reasons why. Not the least of which is going to be retaining your weapon... pretty hard to do if you're rolling around looking for the armbar. lol!

15. Toki_Nakayama

1) yeah

2) the basic bjj techniques covered in level 1 combatives is outdated moving onto level 2 and 3 is fine, but alot of units dont really get that opportunity due to crappy ways of running the programs

or old school top leaders stuck in thier ways and want to do PT instead of more hand-to-hand. so some people get stuck doing level over an over again. BJJ in combatives isnt just about the sport aspect of BJJ

its proven itself consistently in combat deployments when a soldier does end up in an hand-to-hand situation or close quarters as well as dealing with enemy prisoners of war/ detainees.

the sand box enemy mostly focus on offensive fighting for hand-to-hand. bjj/ combatives nullifies that.

16. righty

righty Valued Member

How are the basic BJJ movies 'outdated'?

Any examples?

17. Toki_Nakayama

1 technique from level 1 for example is the "gracie gift pass" its fairly effective, great for bigger and stronger dudes but it still puts one

in a position susceptible to a counter, and average dude can expend some energy trying to go through with the gift pass and the time they take

struggling to do it is the time it takes for a competent wrestler/ grappler to lock them up with a triangle choke or other technique. you get to learn

those in level 2. but its mostly the high-speed units having this access and that stiffles the program all across the board.

there are occassional instances where Instructors from the BJJ community or the Gracies themselves lend a technical assisting hand to our units in the middle east or with the program in general an the program can get caught up with up to date techniques that refine the combatives system.

its this stiffling of the program to where not everyone is getting this training......it reminds me of how those who are with low-density units

sometimes end up with hand-me-down weapons and equipment

18. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

My gripe would be I'm fairly strong and pretty flexible, and as such have a different range of motion than my instructor and the folks I take class with
    It's good, I can slip out of moves fairly easily, the problem I run into is I end up not using the stuff I've learned as it's easier for me to slip out, than use it.
    When I'm actively grappling, I forget what I'm trying to do.

19. Torre

Torre Valued Member

Mine is that the nearest BJJ place is about 200 km-s away :(

20. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

mine is my hip throw. this technique has plagued me throughout my kung-fu, MMA, and bjj career. i just cant seem to ever pull it off correctly. i just never seem get the guy directly on my hips, so as a result i gotta put alot of spin into it. which still doesnt neccesarly work... ugh!:bang: