You think De la Hoya should fight Mayweather?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Pitfighter, May 10, 2006.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Just as title implies.

2. grasshoper

grasshoper Valued Member

De La Hoya does not need the money, and at his age he doesn't want too many more meaningless fights. So if he is going to carry on, then he will only want to fight the best out there. He's had a lot of big fights in his career, suggesting he never dodged anyone. So if he feels he can beat Mayweather, then why not?

3. Developing

Developing Valued Member

I agree with that, De La Hoya has fought many big name fighters and as you pointed out him being in the twilight of his career and not being in financial difficulties he is free to pick and choose what fights he will come out for. I think personally though that if Oscar were to fight Floyd than he would loose. I think Floyd just has too much going on for De La Hoya to handle. Floyd Mayweather can fight effectively in so many different ways that it will be difficult in my opinion for De La Hoya to get off. It would be interesting to see their style match up though, being that Floyd Mayweather's father who has trained Floyd is currently De La Hoya's trainer. However I think he's indicated he will not participate should this fight ever occur. But to answer your question I think De La Hoya should not fight Mayweather and retire now. That Mayorga win was such an impressive way to go out. Why mess that up?

4. Brother

Brother New Member

If it will make a good fight, then sure.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I am big De La Hoya fan - I know first hand the areas where he was raised in So. Cal. and he's been one of the hardest pound for pound boxers ever.

But I don't think he'd fair too well against Mayweather. Mayweather is not joke and has it goin' on. De La Hoya would be in for a rough ride. It'd be nice if he retires gracefully and doesn't end up dragging it out way past any common sense.

Don't get me wrong I'd watch it... but I think Mayweather would put the hurt on De La Hoya - but it's been a while I'll have to check the stats.

According to what I've read just after he beat Mayorga he said he wants Mayweather to be his last fight. I gotta say there is a world of difference between Mayorga and Mayweather.

6. BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981 In the House of Draven

I say its up to him..not us....he is the fighter. Do I think he should retire...yes

On that note some boxing news...Floyd Patterson Died either yesterday or today. R.I.P Floyd

7. grasshoper

grasshoper Valued Member

De La Hoya is a proud fighter and I think he wants to fight the best, just to see where he stands.

Some might call it a macho attitude, but it's fighters like him that make boxing still worth watching. He's more interested in fighting the best rather than padding his record and picking up the paycheck.

8. KO_Artist

KO_Artist New Member

De La Hoya is one man i respect and admire so much as a person competitor boxer/martial artist i do agree with you guys that Mayweather would put the hurt on him cuz i was disappointed in my Boy Zab Judah cuz Zab is the mutha ****in truth but he fought outside his element and got beat severly

9. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Gotta say that I would love to see the fight. De la Hoya is a good boxer but in my opinion Mayweather is better. I think he should fight'm cuz it'd be such a cool fight and I haven't seen very many lately in boxing.