You Cant Beat Me Up, I'm A Martial Artist

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by brahman, Dec 23, 2005.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

If a girlfriend is purposely putting you in a postion where you have to "defend her honour" on a regular basis, and she's regularly telling the big dude she's just ****ed off her bf "has a blackbet", she needs her ass kicked to the curb because she is more trouble than she's worth.

And if your uni club feels it's necessary to broadcast what badasses you think you are because you have black belts, you deserve to get your collective asses kicked.

2. daedalus01

daedalus01 New Member

haha seriously it was a light hearted post, n we dont do it in bars or anything, only to our friends or friends of friends etc

plus i think ppl knowing u do MA is a gd thing, cause it forces u to keep in shape because it wld b extra shameful to lose a fight

3. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The words you have mispelled are "and, people, you, would & be" do I get a prize. Also I is usually capitalised unless you are a submissive posting on a BDSM forum.

I think it would be even more shameful to get in a fight because I did not have the brains to stop hanging about with loudmouths.

4. Nick K

Nick K Sometimes a Valued Member

Warning!!!!

Moose level humour.

PS You made me spill coffee on my keyboard

5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

How do you know that!? :D

This thread is weird, unless your into the highschool who's harder thing...

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Dude, while your advice is rock solid, and I love the critique of the spellling, I think between this post and the post you made on the MA Hunks thread, you've just outed yourself...

7. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have been out for over a year, my dojo mates have seen the marks and I have done photoshoots in a mainstream national magazine. Did you not feel better once you were out?

8. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

yeah, I can understand that one. Of course, I didn't expect too many other people here to pick up on the BDSM references :eek:

EDIT: You've changed your profile recently? PM me if you want, I don't recall seeing half of that in your profile the last time I checked!

9. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

I know a martial art Master who was beaten by a 'construction worker'. the best rule is still to try to avoid trouble.

It seems that your girlfriend is eager to have some trouble for you....lol. good luck!

10. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent New Member

Lol

Anyone who will back down just because you study a form of martial art is probably not someone you'd have to worry about anyways!

Bruce Lee only studied a formal martial art system for just 4 years. I'd be more scared of fighting Bruce than Fred Villari. Miyamoto Musashi never studied a martial art and had no teacher, yet he is the undisputed greatest military combatant/warrior/fighter of all time.

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

There's a thread in the Book forum on Musashi bios. If you read those books you'll find biographers saying that he had teachers. Oh, and, I'm pretty sure "undisputed" would be disputed.

12. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Oh boy :rolleyes:

13. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Wha... huh? No teachers? That's flat out wrong. He did state that he wrote the Book of Five Rings without relying on previous writing instruction and that when he understood the way he was able to undertake many tasks without the need for instruction. But Musashi was brought up within a samurai culture in which he recieved a LOT of instruction.

Carefully read you history before making such claims.

- Matt

14. brahman

brahman Banned Banned

i talked to my girl, she said she would stop. SO STOP TALKING SH@#$ about her. :woo:

15. nightcrawlerEX

nightcrawlerEX Valued Member

Its all about practical application, if you have no experience on the street you wont react quick enough. The problem is most MA's spar with rules. Like in TKD we spar with no leg kicks, no head punches, light contact. Is ANYONE going to follow the rulz on da street?

16. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Then don't post stuff like this:

Ever hear the phrase "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"? Well, it's the same principle on MAP. If you don't tell us, we won't comment. You tell us, we comment. So if you don't want us talking about your chick's 'tude, keep it in Vegas!

17. MataPula

MataPula Valued Member

By the little experience that I have, all MA's should really spar with Rules. This rules should, however, be considerate of the possibility and probability of the things which could happen outside of the dojo.

I was fortunate enough to train with some FMA Masters whose program gives high emphasis on how to react to various situation, thus making it your second nature to prepare you for the world outside of the gym.

18. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent New Member

For all intents and purposes, no teacher.

Shinmen Munisai remarried and moved far away from Musashi when the boy was quite young. Instruction occurred on infrequent and short visits. Furthermore, his relationship with his father was a tenuous one at best. In fact, the two split on extremely bad terms and Shinmen Munisai died before any reconcilliation could occur.

Thus, I will admit that what I stated was not 100% according to Hoyle and all, but this amount of instruction is not comparable when viewed in relation to the level of skill he attained. In fact, the elements in that ratio would be orders of magnitude different. He showed sufficient natural talent and skill at the age of thirteen to defeat an adult, accomplished samurai.

In an ecclectic style, prescient of JKD, Musashi analyzed styles in a scientific and detatched fashion. I do not consider this type of analytical observation to be a teacher/student relationship in the traditional sense of the terms. Often, Musashi would defeat the master of a school/temple/etc. and then remain to study the martial art in depth. He is a student, yet he defeated the master of that style?

What is a teacher? The definition here is critical. If you mean it as in everyday speech, then as mentioned above, I considered the contributions to Musashi's Way of strategy to be insignificant. No one's driving vision piloted Musashi. As one of his calligraphy scrolls reads: "I work for myself./I trust in myself." If you mean a teacher in a more general sense, then, semantically, the word ceases to define anyone in Musashi's life. All falls to statistical insignificance.

19. Tsumetai

Tsumetai Banned Banned

Generally, no one seems to take martial arts training into account when picking a fight. They do however try to contest your ability, usually to an unpleasant end.

Everyone seems to judges by musculature, height, and other obvious physical characteristics.

People back off after I show them I'm not joking though. For example, if a guy were to try to slap me (yes, slap... guys have tried before... kind of a taunt I guess), I'd probably put them in a very unpleasant lock... or something that can be cranked. ^.^ That's what I usually do... after that they don't wanna test me anymore. ^.^

20. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

errmm... what about the relationship that Musashi had with his father and his uncle... both of whom taught him an amount of martial arts?!

BTW the type style you use makes your post quite hard to read.