Yaw-Yan clips... opinions please

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by slipthejab, Jan 5, 2006.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

burungkol,
    What is the material on the outside of that bag made from? The reason I ask is that is always amazes me that in the PI they use natural fibers for many things even today. I remember in Samar some of my relatives weaving the nipa for hut walls and what not. And there are many of the baskets that are also out of a myriad of natural fibers. A silly question... but did someone come in and weave that bag on the spot?

I can fully understand about kicking in succession.. it's the one drill that I still struggle through... on a recent trip to Thailand I saw 11 year olds nailing a heavy bag loud enough to make my ears ring.. 15-20 time in succession at full power. Talk about feeling weak and useless. :D

2. wanlu99

wanlu99 Yaw-Yan and MuayThai Fan

When I use to Train fulltime in Yaw-Yan...elbow strikes were not part of a regular Yaw-Yan training...yes they teach you the strikes but not much on applications...it was mainly because elbow strikes as well as knee strikes were not allowed in most of the kickboxing competitions in the Philippines if not all. One has to take a special class we call Yaw-Yan Combat held once a week only to learn the applications of the elbows and knees.

As MuayTHai is getting quite popular in the Philippines, elbow and knee strikes are now allowed in some competitions like the ESC and the Mano Mano. I have to say that MuayThai has the best training as far as the use of elbows and knees are concerned. MuayThai has great training in grappling too which basically sets up a knee strike and more.

One has to train in both Yaw-Yan and MuayThai to see the difference and the advantages of both styles...but if you have to put a gun on my head and ask me which style is better...Id say shoot me cos I like it both.

But if one will shoot me,Id do my Magician move and catch the bullet with my mouth :)

As for the streetfighting aspect of Yaw-Yan...many Martial Arts gyms and peers can attest that Yaw-Yan is very effective in an acual fight...Yaw-Yans have been tested countless times at the QC Circle...the streets of the University Belt...and specially in the Recto area.

I was in a brawl during a meeting of Martial Arts Masters in Golden Plate Restaurant in Quiapo when all hell broke lose against sidewalk vendors...A WHOLE LOT OF SIDEWALK VENDORS...I thought Id never get out of there alive :)

Im more into MuayThai rt now than Yaw-Yan because I find MuayThai best for my Cardio needs...I dont have plans in fighting in the ring...as I keep the violence in the bedroom :love: and I dont have the guts

But the streets is a different thing...you can never be too prepared to fight in the streets...

More power to you Viking

Last edited: Jan 16, 2006
  3. wanlu99

The Baton Bag in my former gym was made of Abaca ROPE...spun around a big log then covered with Rugby/Rubber Cement...only advanced students can kick it so we also have a regular bag for the other students...It takes a newby two to three months before he can actually kick the Baton and enjoy it.

Its weight and texture are the secrets of making a Yaw-Yan fighters shin hard and kicks so powerfull. It will only sound to good to be true if I tell you how the fighters kick that Baton Bag...I wont be surprised that they do a similar training in Thailand...

TRIVIA: Jean Claude Van Damme went to the Yaw-Yan Quiapo gym before he even became a movie star and refused to kick the bag...Zapata showed him how to kick the bag but still he refused to kick it. :)

4. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Hi Wanlu

Nice post ,Thank you

i read somewhere "Benny -the Jet" had also visited Yaw-yan Temple and had some training.I have read this one too, Zapata had won a ring fight with Sasha Michael (kickboxer-3).dont know the details.

More power to you wanlu

5. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

Yup, big hardwood log with natural abacca fibers... :p that's why its very heavy. if you could move the bag with your kicks, imagine what i'll do to a person :love: . fighters training in the gym could really make this bag sway. these bags are made by hand. some of my colleagues even have their own baton bags at home... :D actually i prefer the baton bag compared to the commercially availables ones. it is much durable, heavier, and we make it ourselves - labor of love. :D

as for me, after 2 months of no training (due to the elite striking championships and the holiday season), i start to hit the bag last night. :D its better than having a shaving wax at a salon. due to it's fibers, some of my shin hair had been shaved off. :cry:

6. wanlu99

I dont know anything bout Sasha Michael...I will ask Zapata later. As for Benny the Jet Urquidez, he did visit the Temple and some Yaw-Yan style gyms in Manila,Tay-San to be exact. But I dont think he trained under Yaw-Yan...

Tay-San (Pamatay Sandata)is under Master Peniaflor of Jolo Sulu...who trained under Master Nap ...after a while, Robert Pineda(RIP) formed his own group he calls Takadi (Talino Katawan Diwa)

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  7. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

Yep. That made me laugh.

I don't know. It didn't really look like XMA to me. There was an awful lot of spinning, and some of it looked a little odd for some reason, but it had a kind of Muay Thai-ish look to it, too. It didn't just look like a TKD person doing spin kicks to me.

8. wanlu99

Yaw-Yan Seminar

Greetings my friends in MuayThai...youre all invited to join the

YAW-YAN Training Seminar, March 2006

“Experiencing the Filipino Martial Arts: The Way of Yaw-Yans”
    YAW-YAN Training Seminar, March-April 2006

Please visit the Yaw-Yan Pasay Website for details...

http://www.yawyanpasay.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Wanlu

Attached Files:

9. republiksyawyan

republiksyawyan New Member

Nice pick of the scorpian kick wanlu.

Hi my name is Julio Rodriguez,and Im am currently the senior student at yawyan sibukan which just so happens to be the the canadian yawyan branch.

I cant really say much for traditional yawyan, but it's nothing like traditional mt. I train with mt fighters and participate in mt events. Reason being theirs no other striking events out their.

Here at yawyan sibukan we take a very distinct approach by teaching proper boxing,then proper foot work, we use kicks like the ball snap or heel thrust ,like every other martial art except we really enfasize on clipping the knee and thrusting the hips.We tend to do this to every one of our kicks.

We have round house kicks like mt but we clip our kness until the very end then we snap the shin loose on a downward angle connecting right above the knee, in mt you dont clip as much but rather use the a different type of hip thrust.Any mt fighter knows how a traditional round house kick was first taught to them and understand my remark.

The mountain storm which happens to be my kick of choice starts off like a round house but then changes directions mid way sending the shin and instep slashing downward on the colar bone. In mt think of a crocidile kick but with more enfasis on kicking the face.

At yawyan sibukan we also teach and use the elbows and knees very much just like mt ,but only after a series of punching combos. An elbow can give you a knock out or can cause you to be knocked out if the timing isnt their.

We in yawyan really like shin snap/thrusts. Asfar as the spinning back fists or elbows ,we kind of tend to only use those as last resorts to throw our apponent off their rythem that way we can re-establish ours.

A good fighter with yawyan strikes would be cung lee from k1.

But this is where the similarities end. Yawyan sibukan was meant to be the striking portion of mma.
    Sibukan here in canada teaches you two types of clinches with various strikes for both aswell as submissions.Yawyan will keep evolving aswill so many other styles.

We here at yawyan sibukan (the canadian yawyan chapter) have implemented bjj to our ground game to make us better over all.

To better explain what yawyan is ,...is to qoute one of our sayings. Yawyan teaches a striker how to become more versitle by implementing unorthodox techniques to their arsenales.

Im sorry its so late and I wanted to really post, so I appologize for any spelling errors.I will try and edit in the near future.

Point being mt is like yawyan because they both are primarily striking arts. Yet similare they both take different routes to accomplish the same goal.

I like both arts but then again im a striker so I like anything that make me better overall,like russian boxing with a hint of a certain few bolo punches. Man nothing beats a lead bolo uppercut after a series of jabs.

I hope this asweres a few questions. And if things go as planned I can video tap a match between both yawyan styles when I make my pilgramige to the fillipines later this year and post it.Unfortunately this wont happen until a few weeks b4 I push to turn pro.

Cheers from Toronto Canada.

10. republiksyawyan

Hey Viking ,nice to see you have interest in the art and wish to see it for what it is,a good method of striking.

I will try and answer all of your questions in moderation.So here goes.

(Is yaw-yan sibukan and the traditional yaw-yan the same ? )

Yes it's the same martial art, yy sibukan and yy traditional are the same because we practice the same techniques, but it's not the same because we also use those techniques in different manners.We tend to use alot of the yy strikes in different situations as apposed to just traditional,simply because traditional yy never had to deal with grapplers and wrestlers b4.

(You said like the striking portion of yy sibukan MMA is yaw-yan?or have you added any techniques from other martial arts.)

Master Fred really used me as a drawing board.
    When I firtst started with master Fred, he was trying to bridge grappling and yy effectivly.

I was learning how to become a better FIGHTER. While training yy sibukan I also trained modified mauy-thai which was exactly like mt mixed with kickboxing.This was great for me because I consistantly tested my yy techniques against the modified mauy-thai and viceversa. I used my knowledge to better adapt a true striking system that worked all around minimizing openings and over whelming my opponenents.To further test the techniques I also started european boxing to really better my hand work,again this was also implemented into the art. Sibukan means tested. So to truly see what yawyan sibukan could do, we had to put it up against other arts to really anylize the techniques strong points and weak points.

So yes it's really a blend of great boxing tips/effective mauy-thai-kickboxing tips/traditonal yawyan tips. Like I said b4 you never stop learning and no art will ever stop evolving.

(Can you plz give some information on the elbow and knee strikes of yaw-yan sibukan.I believe in Yaw-Yan there are 12 elbow strikes and 6 knees with variations
    is it the same.And how you find yaw-yan elbow and knee strikes differant from Muay thai.)

In any martial arts their are elbow/knee strikes but in yawyan the strikes are very versitile as apposed to other styles,even mauy-thai tend not to really diversify these techniques.

I can use all elbow and knee strikes standing or grappling ,while its not hard to learn how to drop an elbow,it becomes increasingly difficult when different situations arise. So yawyan does have the upper hand on knee and elbow strikes. 12- 6 sounds about right.

I hope I helped shed some light on yawyan sibukan.

Take care,,yours truley
    Julio Rodriguez.

11. Viking

Viking Valued Member

hi republiksyawyan,

Nice to hear from you and thanks verymuch for the information.I think the new generation yaw-yan ardigma fighters are getting trained to fight against grapplers and wrestlers .From what i read , they also use strikes that can be used in a grappling situation ,and their arms and shins are heavily conditioned for it.

thanks for posting about the knee and elbow strikes in yaw-yan.Burunkol gave me a lot of information about these strikes before.And i think Sir wanlu has also posted about it here.But still ,i like to hear more about it.

But I wonder why you added modified muay thai into yaw-yan.From what i know Yaw-yan has a lot differant way of executing kicks and have a lot of unique kicks of it's own.Like we said in another thread

'The YY 's can kick from unbelievable angles at astonishing speeds'

thanks

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  12. republiksyawyan

To be able to dominate a fighter you must study that fighter. You watch tapes ,see their fights up close if possible, you study because in order for you to beat a really hard opponent you must learn to expose their weaknesses.

Hence why I focused on studying/learning modified mauy thai.
    A striker is a striker no matter what.
    I chose european boxing to help me understand boxers.
    I chose modified mauy thai to understand these strikers.
    I chose Bjj/judo/submission wrestling/ grecko roman wrestisling to better understand the ground game.
    It would be very niaeve of me to think yawyan was perfect against every art.

Like I have stated b4, yawyan teaches a good striker to become better by introducing unorthodox techniques like the scorpian kick to better their game.
    When fighting good strikers ,you need more thn just a good jab and round house.
    Mind you having a great jab and a great roundhouse is nice though.

I am really looking forward to testing (yawyan ardigma) against (yawyan sibukan)
    just to see exactly how similare or different they have become at accomplishing the same goals.

13. Viking

Viking Valued Member

More Yaw-Yan Videos

Some More Yaw-Yan Videos
    Video

Yaw-yan Ardigma camp
    Ardigma

Arnis by Yaw-Yans

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOoS...Q&search=yawyan]YYArnis1[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3RD...8&search=yawyan]YYArnis2[/ame]

enjoy

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  14. wanlu99

Sumido in action...

Photo below shows one of my favorite Philippine National MuayThai team members...Ruben Sumido. Seen in action at the latest Yaw-Yan Extreme Striking Championships...Sumido KO'd his opponent from Kampilan MuayThai via multiple elbow strikes to the head of his opponent. The two had a rematch at the Fearless fighting championships in Metrowalk and Sumido defeated his opponent once again via TKO.

As part of his record, Ruben Sumido also won a Bronze in MuayThai at the Latest Asian Indoor Games '05 in Thailand...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2006
  15. SUPERMAN .45

SUPERMAN .45 New Member

Nice clips from YAW-YAN, I started training in YAW-YAN way back in 1990 under Sir Boy Fernandez, I started training again in 2004 under sir Henry Kobayashi of HYBRID YAW-YAN. Right now I trained under sir Rey Yap of YAW-YAN Evolution. I also practice Muay Thai I like both styles, it's very effective in the ring and good for self defense. Mabuhay ang YAW-YAN!

16. alvin_qp

alvin_qp New Member

elnan, newbie here... i train under prof. julius villaflores of yawyan temple cebu. he is very interested to see the rallarsving show. he doesnt have a copy of it.

17. Viking

Viking Valued Member

Video of Yawyan Fighting Challenge7
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKEY4NKCHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKEY4NKCHw[/ame]

Regards

18. Jahk Nah Rai

Jahk Nah Rai Valued Member

I still don't understand how some people say Yaw-Yan isn't influenced by Muay Thai.

The scorpion kick is nothing more than "Fish Plays in the Water" or "Ginnaree Len Nam" from Muay Thai Boran.
    Watch Ong Bak and you will see Tony Jaa use the same kick against Toshiro, the Japanese fighter at the nightclub.
    The mountain storm kick is "Serpent Coils Its Tail" or "Nakhaa Khanod Haang". It is a powerful downward round kick.
    Still seems like a hybrid striking style that incorporates techniques from Muay Thai and other disciplines.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  19. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Nice to see a lot of yaw-yan practitioners here

20. Viking

Viking Valued Member

an interview with YY Gm Nap Fernanadez,a little YY history and all.
    http://www.undergroundhit.com/

Regards