Yang 59 Long Boxing

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Tachyon, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Tachyon

Tachyon Valued Member

Has anyone seen someone playing the Yang style 59 Long Boxing set? It strikes me as rather odd that a routine described by Chen Wei Ming would vanish without someone at least claiming that they know it.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Yes, my friend Steve Rowe teaches the Long Boxing form as part of his Yang taijiquan curriculum.

3. Tachyon

Tachyon Valued Member

Fascinating! Do you know of any video of it? It would be cool to compare/contrast with the Tung "Yang Style" Fast Set (not his family set) for similarities/differences among the movement.

4. Dan Bian

5. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Tung's 1st fast form will have similar moves as it's based off regular long Yang. Tung's set also has moves which don't appear in any other TC forms I know of. The same can be said for more than one TC form out there.

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Yea, what Dan Bian said. I've seen it performed by a couple of Steve's students on video. The clips don't seem to be on Steve's Youtube anymore though.

It comes from the family style, Steve's teacher was Jim Uglow who is the Yang family representative in the UK who learnt mostly from Mary Yang, Yang Sau Cheungs daughter.

So it seems it survives at least in some of the HK Yang family lines and The line of Chen Wei Ming, which I'd heard has a fast form.

8. Tachyon

Tachyon Valued Member

I believe Chen Wei Ming taught mostly his modified 108 movement fast form, but it would certainly be cool to find out if his lineage passes along the form taught by YCF as well.

9. Dan Bian

I realise this thread is slightly old now, but for anyone interested, Steve Rowe has posted a clip of one of his students performed long boxing:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Q_10DMedY"]Long Boxing - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  10. flyinguillotine

flyinguillotine New Member

Hi

The chang quan form is still passed down through the disciples of Chen Wei Ming. I learned it from my teacher whose father Leung King Yu was his main disciple.

It's not the same as the video from Steve Rowe's student whose lineage is from Yang Sau Chung I believe. I have never seen a video of it on the internet either.

From what I was told, Chen Wei Ming developed this form on his own and changed it several times so it is different from either long boxing forms from other branches of Yang style tai chi. It is my favourite form. It includes most movements done on both sides so it feels more balanced. it is also done in a slightly smaller frame, quicker, with some follow-up steps and with some fa jing. In this lineage, the 108 form is still considered the main training form. The movements in the long boxing form are more similar to how they should be used in combat.