Xue's new way.... kinda sorta

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Xue Sheng, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

July 10, 2023
    Saw MD, I have Gastritis, and am now on some medication, temporarily, to reduce stomach acid. Seems to be helping

2. Xue Sheng

July 17, 2023

Saw the MD today, leave it to me to do something I had no idea was even possible.... I sprained my clavicle

3. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Reminds me of my grnadma who broke her clavicle by doing yoga... the whole family made jokes on that for years....

How did you managed to do something like that?

Xue Sheng likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

August 4, 2023'

Work out going pretty much the same with a few additions and a subtraction or two, based on arthritis

Also, last weekend I had a bit of an realization..... forms don't matter, and styler matters less. Especially if you are talking CIMA styles.

Internal matters (not qi) but body unity, use of force and/or fajin and, rooting alignment and how all that applies to the real world and of course applications and martial usage of Taijiquan (don't get me wrong, still think Xingyi is awesome, but that is personal preference)

So with that said. I am back training my Yang style. Have not done the long form in many months, but I am once again training it, but I am focusing in the internal. I will be working to get my Jian and Dao forms back. And with any luck I will be able to get 1 of the 2 fast forms back.I am also still doing the short Sun form I learned, with my modifications...but that is as far as I think I will go with Sun

Also going to study the internal side of things with a couple folks
    Might take an opportunity to train Shanxi style Xingyiquan that has presented itself (I have trained Hebei and Shang styles, never Shanxi)

And my last child is heading off to college soon, after that I have a whole lot of time I need to fill with something to do. Considering an American Jiujitsu class, and Irish Stick fighting class and I may return to teaching Taijiquan.... And I am still looking to get another push hands group started, but so far no luck..... and lastly, when I friend of mine returns from Japan next year and reopens his dojo, I may just give Aikido a try...heck, if my old joints and fake knee can survive American Jiujitsu, Aikido should be survivable too

Well, of to my basement guan to do some traditional Yang style

5. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think this is the same realisation Wang Xiangzhai came to, the external matters less than the internal and too much focus on the external takes away from the core of the art, and that core seems pretty universal across all the so called internal (and external I suspect) arts.

Now the question becomes without the forms can you have enough techniques to make the power you are now manifesting due to your internal body alignment work?

It's a balancing act I think but we as consumers always want more which the Chinese know and they aren't stupid it's what makes them money.

As one of my sifu once put it you want simple on the outside and rich and complicated on the inside but that doesn't really sell and make you rich.

Glad you are back training and enjoying it!

cloudz and Xue Sheng like this.
  6. Xue Sheng

August 14, 2023

Soon to be an empty nester, and I am truly depressed about that, but it is to be expected

Also, I've decided to act my age. Been reading for years how old fogies should only lift weights about 2 days a week, but I didn't listen. I was lifting 3, but light with high reps, and the 3 other days I was doing legs with Sundays off. The last couple weeks I did not feel like I gained much, and as a matter of fact I was feeling exhausted.

Changed to working heavy, lower reps, 2 days a week, with legs on the same day. so far so good. Should also note that my in my 60s heavy weight was my in my 30s and 40s light weight....Dang I'm old

Also reading I should be doing about 20 to 25 minutes od aerobics a day, trying to get that in too. But thats not so hard, I'm old, a walk is aerobics.

And of course still doing taijiqusn.'

Have a medical procedure coming up to see what the heck this reoccurring gastric problem I've been having is. Hopefully after that I can go give American Jiujitsu and Irish stick fighting a try

7. Xue Sheng

August 15, 2023

The Gastritis or IBS or whatever it is was bad today, did not go to work.
    Morning I managed to stand in Wuji for about 5 minutes and then do the Sun Short form I know. And that was all I could manage

Around 8:30pm
    Did 10 minutes of Wuji standing
    Sun Short form
    Traditional Yang Long Form

Appointment with gastroenterologist the end of the month, maybe they will figure out what the heck is going on

8. Xue Sheng

August 25, 2023

Was going to post how the workout was going but on Wednesday, August 23, 2023, while doing all the orientation stuff at my youngest's college. I tripped and feel on a concrete floor, and the way my foot was hook I could not roll or fall properly and I went over like a tree. I ended up landing hard on my left side and my head hit the floor, not that hard, but hard enough to give me a nice lump over my left eye brow and I am pretty sure I bruised my ribs. don't think I fractured them. I will get checked out better on Monday, when I get back home.

You will be happy to know the concrete did not suffer any injuries, even where my head hit it.

So not much training gong on at the moment, just several rounds of "slow" Sil Lim Tao throughout the day

9. Nachi

My gosh, that sounds awful :( I am glad you are (relatively) alright. It could have ended worse.

Get better soon.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  10. Xue Sheng

September 05, 2023

It just keeps getting better.... Tomorrow and endoscopy to see what the heck is going on with my stomach.

What bothers me most is all of this is keeping me from a Xingyiquan class my local sifu is stating up...

Hopefully after this I can get back to exercise, training and martial arts

I have to tell you, this getting old stuff, is not for the squeamish

Nachi likes this.
  11. Nachi

So hopefully you will be back to training soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Don't try to scare me! :D:eek:

Xue Sheng likes this.
  12. Xue Sheng

September 05, 2023

Endoscopy is done, nothing major found from the pictures , some damage to the esophagus due to acid reflux.
    However they did see a couple of things (no strange growths) they wanted to do a biopsy on. Waiting for results

And with that posted.... I think I will go do some standing (wuji, Zhan Zhuang, Santi) and some taijiquan (Yang, Sun) in the basement

axelb, Grond and Nachi like this.
  13. Xue Sheng

09/29/2023

Endoscopy results are in
    But to back up a bit about a week before the endoscopy I had a minor cancer scare at muy family docots office. Tests were run and it was not cancer.

One of the things the gastrologist mentioned, right after the endoscopy was that what he saw could be acid reflux, which I know I have, or cancer. The results say it is not cancer, it is acid reflux.

As for the stomach issues I have been dealing with for a few years, with varying levels of severity, it is gastritis. So medication and diet change. Mrs Xue has left strict orders as to what I can and cannot eat a drink...for a while.

Now the workout summary

I have been working out 6 days a week.
    20 minutes of aerobics 4 days a week
    30 minutes aerobic 2 days a week
    strength training, heavy 2 days a week
    strength training light, with high rep, 1 day a week.

However I may have to cut back on the aerobic, starting to have some hipo pain. Arthritis is kicking up

Martial arts.
    Yang Taijiquan long form only one day a week, just to remember the form. I tried to get back into Yang, and I was for a bit. But after over 30 years if it, I think I need to move on.
    Sun taijiquan short form 7 days a week, workking on long form. I have been in contact with a Sun style group that is near where my youngest goes to college. I will be meeting with them at some point to get corrections and see what they think

Also considering checking out a couple other martial arts in my area, more on that later should I go

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Glad the results came back negative for the big C.

Acid reflux sucks, I've had it since COVID, it was getting better, but 2 weeks ago COVID brought it back to a high level.

I can't imagine what is like dealing with that for years.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  15. Xue Sheng

Hope the COVID recovery went well, gastritis is not fun. For me, and this is not universal it does not work for everyone, when the symptoms got back, I took a a couple tablespoons full of apple cider vinegar, and I cold feel the cooling going down the esophagus. But this cold irritate some, I tired it because, one afternoon, I was desperate.

I've been dealing with acid reflux, of and on, for years. My last gastritis attack was on October 07, 2023. Stomach still off, but no major attacks. Per the MD, I cold be on meds for gastritis for 6 months...1 month down, heading towards 2

axelb likes this.
  16. Xue Sheng

October 21, 2024

I have had to change things, what they say about getting old and working out is surprisingly true, but I have said that before here....apparently I just keep forgetting.

I was doing 2 heavy days and one light day, heavy Monday Friday, light Wednesday

This was heavy Monday and Thursday and light on Wednesday
    Bowflex
    Pull down (like pull up) - 12 rep x 2 sets
    Pull down (like chin up) - 12 reps x 2 sets
    Power bands
    Karate punch - 12 reps
    Wing Chun punch - 12 reps
    Xingyiquan Bengquan punch - 12 reps
    Total Gym
    Rows - 12 reps x 2 sets
    Cross cable rows - 12 reps x 2 set
    seated surfer - 12 reps x 2 sets
    chest press 0 12 reps x 2 sets
    Dumbbells
    bent over triceps raise - 3 sets x 12 reps
    Curls - 3 sets x 12 reps
    Shoulder flys - 2 sets x 12 reps
    bent over row - 2 sets x 12 reps
    Kettlebell
    Sumo squat
    Legs, ankle weights
    Leg extensions
    side leg lifts inner thigh
    side leg lift outer thigh
    leg lift on back
    leg curls
    leg lifts on stomach

Had to change this, was not gaining anything and I was feeling exhausted. fun part of getting old.... pains me to say I am now much closer to 70 than 50.

Now the above routine is done Bowflex to dumbbells, heavy, on Monday and Friday
    Wednesday is generally 2 to 3 aerobic routines with light weight
    Saturday is legs

Taijiquan (sun style) as many days as possible
    stance training (wuji, Tree hugging, bear standing, santi shi) as many days as possible
    also a short standing yoga routine, focus on balance 5 days a week

Looking into a return to Xingyiquan, shanxi style this time. I am mostly Hebei style with some Wudang
    And there are 2 other martial arts classes I am looking into (more later if I actually pursue them). Note, if I do this it is likely the above routine will change due to me being a geezer

Nachi and axelb like this.
  17. Xue Sheng

October 25, 2023

Looks like I might start training some Shanxi Xingyiquan in November. I have trained a lot of Hebei, a bit of Shang (which is a subset of Hebei) and some Wudang, but never Shanxi.

Working on Sun style Taijiquan too, version from comes from Tim Cartmel. Have a couple other things I am looking into, but more on those later should I start

Nachi likes this.
  18. Xue Sheng

October 27, 2023

Looked in the mirror today and noticed something....I'm old :D

More seriously, I am getting what I can only call, old man shoulders, and I don't like it...getting boney...something I have never been my entire life

Actually spent some time this morning thinking about my situation, my age, and how I would like my life and physicality to be as I age. Do I want an active retirement or one sitting on the porch in a rocking chair struggling to get out of it.....I will admit, lately, although I have been doing the routine I have posted on 10/21 for a while, I do spend way to much time sitting in my recliner, watching email, and browsing the web, especially when I am working from home...like I am doing right now.

So due to the old man shoulders.... I have never been a fan of shoulder exercises, but I am going to have to add a few to the routine. I don't expect to look like I did when I was in my 20s or 30s, but I have to do something..

One of these I was doing , but removed due to arthritis, I will try again with lighter weight and see what happens. Others I have done in the past, but it has been awhile

Seated Dumbbell press - that was the one removed due to arthritis - I will start light today
    Dumbbell lateral raise - I am actually doing a version of this already, with thumbs facing up with dumbbells perpendicular to the floor. I will now at the standard lateral raise, dumbbells horizontal with the floor

Dumbbell rear lateral raise - been awhile on this one, but it needs to return

The goal is 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps on all the above. If I can get to heavier weights that could reduce to 3 sets of 4 to 6 reps

Going to add a few more exercises to the Monday/Friday workout, but not all at once
    These will come later:
    - Bench press
    - Chest flys
    - Hammer curl

And I need more work on core as well
    will add reverse crunch and start doing plank regularly.

Well, time to get out of the chair and head off to the basement gym....

axelb likes this.
  19. Xue Sheng

Nov 29, 2023

Have not updated in a while, Will try and keep it up.

However I think I tore the meniscus in my left knee again. I am hoping it wears back in because if I have to go back to the MD about it, he will not repair it, he will want to replace the knee. And I am not looking forward to going through that again.

axelb likes this.
  20. Xue Sheng

April 16, 2024

Seriously considering a return to JKD