Xing Yi Linking Form clip

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, Nov 9, 2005.

1. middleway

middleway Valued Member

2. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Nice clip Middleyway. I'm learning the linking form at the moment...

Yours is quite a bit different, but clearly the same form. It's funny like that. I think ours emphasizes the advancing and retreating a bit more, yours seems a bit more staionary.

Thanks for posting.

3. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Facinating!

A brave man that puts themselves on vid like this! :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Actaully, I have the same question as Zac. In the version I've learned (or rather was taught as I don't feel I know the form particularly well) a wider range of ground was convered (this can be read as there was a strong concentration of moving towards/through opponent).

Were you performing it this way to not go out of the frame?

- Matt

5. Golden Tiger

Golden Tiger New Member

Zac, if I may... Would you consider this a good representation of the linkage set? I thought the execution was wwell done althougth that in which I learn covers more distance and is a tad more rooted on the strikes.

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Chris,

On critique of "video fu", which I'm giving because you've been willing to film and post clips. Any chance you can frame it so your feet are visible? In a form like this the footwork is as important to see as anything else.

Thanks again for posting,

- Matt

7. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Tiger, in the linkage set I know, there's a bit of lead up to the point he demonstrated and I only through the paoquan. So I can't say much.

Since you asked though, his is pretty different than mine. We too cover a lot more ground. Two and a half steps before that first bengquan for instance and a whole step backwards for each of the following. The movements between the three bengs and the pao are different, our stance a bit higher, etc. Pretty different. I suspect, on the surface at least, that yours is closer to what we do than this.

That said, Middleway has observable jing in his strikes. I can see things in his hips and in body linkage (I like the term you guys use) that my teacher does and I try to do, so yeah, as far as I can tell I think it's a good form, but not necessarily how I'm learning it.

Make sense?

Edit- Middleway, I do agree with Matt, I would like to see your feet if possible, not to do a critique, but just to see what other differences you guys might have.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  8. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

I'm not sure I see any Jing here. Only arm movements.
    I think this may be because the vid is quite small and I can't see clearly, but surely XingYi power is not a spiralling power from the hips/waist anyway, but a "rolling" power up through the body!
    I sometimes describe it as the sort of energy you use when you throw up. :eek:

9. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for the comments.

I must say that there are many many ways to perform the same set, It sounds like you guys are talking about a set with footwork as its core training principle.

I also train this way sometimes, big advances and retreats, Big Jumps(especially in the first switch step) etc. Its a nice method to create nimble and agile but rooted footwork.

In the first version, The frame of the body is larger to work the Li gong aspect. In the second version a more compact frame is used for more 'real' frame fighting.

IME one of xing Yi's great skills is generating power very close in to the opponent. 'bone to bone' power it is sometimes known as.

As i say there are many many ways to perform the same form. For instance i practice 5 basic ways to practice pi chuan, each of these forms have many variations based of practice purpose.

An interesting way to develop a different feeling in form is to perform it trying to open all thr joints in the body, then practice it as if faced by multiple armed opponents. See the changes in the body and mind.

Anyone else got some clips?

Thanks again ppl,

Chris

10. zac_duncan

zac_duncan New Member

Maybe I'm seeing things that aren't there.

Spiraling from the hips? No. Rolling up? Yeah. But the hips are involved in that in a big way, at least as it's taught in my line. Your body rolls in a wave, much like a chain being swung, but at the right moment you *snap* it, like a whip. The snap comes from the hips.

Maybe we're looking for very different things. It's really hard to describe mechanics over the internet.

11. middleway

middleway Valued Member

All power in Xing Yi has a spiral IME. But very tight and compact.

What you are refering too may be 'Spine wave' power. This is important, but shouldnt be too overt IME, especially when emittingh alot of power. Without correct training the spine can be damaged.

My teacher describes Xing Yi as one big dan tien Rolling around in multiple directions. So 'rolling' IS a nice description of what the power is like.

Sorry about the foot thing, This was the best position i could find for the camera.

Kindest Regards
    Chris

12. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

Easy chris!

Im gonna fast forward through to the 'real' time speed movements.

All the moves are there - nothing that shouldnt be there ;-)
    But I notice that you over extend yourself. Arms end up far far too straight. And whats with the shoulders? You're finishing tzuan has your shoulders up through above your head, and as you exhale you relax and drop them again.

May I refer you to point 1. of my book #1: :D
    "The six principles are:
    Bear Shoulders
    Dragon Waist
    Tiger Embrace
    Eagle claw
    Chicken Leg
    Thunder Sound"

So, no bear shoulders, didnt see too much dragon waist, although did see dragon, lots of tiger embrace (good!), not much eagle claw, couldnt see chicken leg and didnt hear any thunder sound.

Chris, you know what im gonna say mate ;-)

So I wont.
    :eek:

13. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Focus here was extension. I do this form many different ways. Extension works Jing IME so thats what i am working here. But your right ... not standard.

Final movement Beng Chuan not Tsuan. It appears that my shoulders are up, but when i retreate back they appear to sink. I do have trouble with my shoulders to be fair ... too much Judo when i was younger! :D

ha ha ha ... Yeh n you know what im gonna say ... so i wont .... ;)

take it easy mate.

chris