Writing down kata post-class

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Big Will, Jan 19, 2006.

1. comw

comw Valued cynic

thats about 6-9 mnths I think - not couting time ff to get my chest repaired

2. linnetsmith

linnetsmith Extremly Valued member..

Am I right in saying that big wills an 8th kyu an has only been training since augest?
    anyway I have trouble remember movments it is realy hard luckly for me sensi's daughter is my best friend so I can get her help, but just continuing practice is how I remember this stuff.
    I told my sensi (andrew thomas) that I was havin trouble trying to remeber the gates of ninjutsu and the schools of the bujinken, he told me four and made me shout them out for about 10 minutes.
    when we are tuaght stuff that has nothing to do with the syllabus then I write it down so I can never forget it.

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

and?? ooooo look a land mine :D

What are the gates of Ninjutsu??

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  4. Lord Spooky

Took me a whle to figure out what you meant by gold stars :D

Cheers for the compliment....er you are complimenting me aren't you Gary :D

5. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yes... :confused:

6. Lord Spooky

Like I said Will it's a land mine keep clear ;)

7. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Ah, okay :D Still new to the forums, hehe ;)

8. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

:)

what sort of stuff do you learn in the BBD, whats your syllabus like?

I used to train there years ago, i wonder how much the syllabus has changed, fancy posting it?

What Land Mind?

Yes, a compliment.

9. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Being a designer and Illustrator by trade, I use to draw and write everything down when I first started...and still found it hard as like many others, I couldn't remember ALL the info of the class...but I slowly stopped when I realised that I never revisited the material...On the few occassions where I have had a look, I realised that I had drawn the posture etc wrong as it was still new to me at the time and I hadn't quite "gotten it" (gotta tell ya, there's plenty a day when I still feel like I don't get it!)

10. texas doc

texas doc Valued Member

oh well, I tend to have a mixed relationship with the whole "taking notes" issue...
    When I first began training martial arts, I was writing down everything kind of religiously as soon as I was back home. If I look back at those notes, they are mostly explaination of techniques and katas - almost step by step.
    Then I stopped taking notes at all. Just could not make up my mind to sit down and write.
    After a couple of years, I began taking notes again - and I am still taking notes. Normally I write down the stuff when I get home, and am usually not worried about "remembering" techniques.
    However, I noticed that my notes now hardly contain any practical account of the katas. What I am recording is mostly the kind of movement and the feeling. So I guess my way of taking notes has changed.
    I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else.

11. whiteshadow711j

whiteshadow711j Hiding in the Shadows

I remember some katas, that were drilled into me, of course I cant remember the names of many of them. I remember koku from gyokko ryu and some others, do gaeshi from takagi yoshin ryu, etc, but there is no way I could remember them all, I have done many many of the katas, and if someone said hey this is "insert name of kata here" and I have seen it and performed it and someone shows the kata to me, I'll jump right in and do it. I used to be good with the names of kata when I was in the genbukan, but since then I have gone down hill, maybe I'm getting older...

Nahhh it couldn't be that :rolleyes:

so I have most of them written down, and some with pics... :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Makes perfect sense to me. My method of note taking has graduated from diagrams and explanations to feeling, mood, ideas. And I think I understnad my notes much better now.

13. linnetsmith

the gates are:
    ninja no kiai
    ninja no taijutsu
    ninja no ken
    ninja no yari
    ninja no shuriken
    yogi
    kajutsu and..
    kyoman.
    for 9th kyu grading in the bbd.
    You have to know some of the gates, some of teh schools of the bujinkan evrything to do with the godai, and soem stuff that 32 grandmaster said on new years day. then to pass the grading you have to do 50 pressups, 50 sit ups and 50 squats, then you have to do the kamae no kata and then the sanshin no kata. Then have fight genraly about 10 fights a misture of sparring, kumi Uchi and jutaijutsu, and you have to do it all with no brakes. every bbd dojo grades diffrently but thats how it is done in portsomuth for 9th kyu grading.

14. Lord Spooky

This by any chance?

1. Know that endurance is simply a puff of smoke.
    2. Know that the way of men is justice.
    3. Forget the heart of greed, ease and relying on others.
    4. One should regard both sadness and malice as natural laws, and just gain
    the enlightenment of an unshakeable heart.
    5. In your heart, never leave the ways of loyalty and filial piety, and aspire
    greatly for the ways of the pen and the sword.

15. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

What the hell are these???

But Brian resigned from the bujinkan so why do you need to know about it?
    and the godai? bujinkan or SKH???

Blimey, press ups for grading, what a high level of expertise!!! :D

16. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

'click' *** the sound of a land mine being stepped on ***

OMG, run for cover!

17. linnetsmith

brian did not resine!!!! if brian went to hatsumi tomorow and ask to train with him hatsumi would let him! this problem is not between hatsumi and Brasin its between bbd students and bujinken students.

no spook thats not it.

18. Lord Spooky

Er not wishing to get into this BUT :D Linnet I think you will find there is a letter of resignation from Brian knocking around ;) I think the one thing that is not in dispute is that fact that he did leave. I do find it strange that you are under the impression that you are part of the Bujinkan??

Anyway right you've got me thinking now about what Toda Sensei wrote??

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  19. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Yeah - I do that too. Everytime a teacher says something to me personally - regarding a technique - I try to incorporate it into my understanding of the movement, and then I write it down at home. I won't necessarily physically "get" the tips I get, but I will understand them, and when I replay a kata in my mind I do it "correctly".

20. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

Hmm janette,

I think you have been lied to, either that or you are a bit confused!!
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=327293&postcount=34

check out Brian's resignation letter online for you!! :bang: :D