Wrists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by BlindClown, Apr 3, 2006.

1. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

anyone know of any wrist exercises which can build a bit more muscle or density .

This is the main problem i face , i have very skinny wrists and i think that they wouldnt be able to withstand the force of my hardest punch .

is there anything apart from Huen Sau thaat i can do as a part of strenthining my wrists

Thanks

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

They obviously did for you to find out how hard your hardest punch is

3. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

wrist curls with dumbbells

do 3 sets of 12 palms up
    " " " " " palms down

buy a gripper off the net as well

4. MartialArtN00b

MartialArtN00b New Member

Hit the punching bag, weight training, and grapple?

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Hit the punching bag.
    Get a powerball.
    Do wrist exercises.

6. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

Not having a girlfriend.

7. althaur

althaur Hunting scum

You can't thicken your wrists. Sorry. If you have skinny wrists, they will stay that way. What you can do is strengthen and increase the size of your forearms.

The wrist curls mentioned above are good. Also, try grabbing a heavy barbell or a couple of dumbells and just hold it as long as you can. HEAVY! Not something you can start off holding for a minute. Shoot for a hard 20-30 seconds and increase your time. When you can hold it for a minute, raise the wait again. Also, don't use straps for any of your back exercises.

Josh

8. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

you can not really make your wrists specifically stronger, what you want to do it make your forearms and grip strength better.

chin ups / pull ups are a good way to start and they will also work your back and biceps. if you wish lifting weights are also helpful for your grip strength. you can try dead lifts or pull downs.

9. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

Surprised nobody mentioned a wrist roller.. Straight stick, tie rope around middle of stick. Tie weight to other end.. use both hands to twist it up and down.. Gets your forearms burning quick. :)

10. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

kettlebells with a thick handle provided you have kettlebells available. If not, take the dumbbellsand do the previous suggestions.

I find grappling with a gi has helped grip strength.

Using nunchucks in kata training has helped my forarms

11. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

all weapons training will strenghten the forearms and help the wrists, also try wrist pushups.

12. bushidoka

bushidoka Valued Member

Reverse curls, chinese medicine balls (marginally effective), reverse wrist curl

13. freak

freak Valued Member

do barbell/dumbell wrist curls....that will build up some good muscle

14. BlindClown

BlindClown tinit

Thanks to Everyone who helped me out i will try alot of the following advices

i have recently been taught the thai matis 6ft pole techniques so i will be doing alot of weapons training with the pole , by sounds of it is good for my wrists aswell .

The curling of weights i will try also , not one really for lifting weights but i suppose where needs be.

Oh yeah And by The way " The Count " if you read my post correctly you will see i used the words i think

so there was no need to try and be a sarcastic f00l coz u know yur the only f00l round here.

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Grab the pole at the end with one hand and hold it out in front of you. Choke up on the pole if you can't hang on.

MAP TOS:

4.2 Language:
    MAP is an English speaking forum. Please take the time to post in plain, legible English.
    4.2.1 This is not a mobile phone text service – you do not need to use abbreviations to reduce the length of your post. It makes it hard for ne1 not used 2 txt sp34k 2 read wot u r saying.

4.3 Abuse / Flaming / Derogatory Comments:
    Abusive Comments, personal attacks, flaming, or derogatory insults or comments are strictly forbidden.
    4.3.1 It is fine to disagree with another member’s point of view, but please do so in a mature and civil manner.
    4.3.2 If someone posts to discuss their personal problems or seeks help from other forums members, please do not respond unless you have something positive or helpful to add.
    4.3.3 If you find yourself being flamed or insulted by another member, please do not dignify that person with a response. Notify a moderator and let us handle it.

16. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Damn, people always whoop the TOS out so fast...

It's really unbelievable, maybe I need to bookmark them...

:p

17. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

Starting up BJJ really buffed my forearms out along with kettle bell training. even just holding a kettle bell works your grip like crazy

18. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

just out of curiosity what does holding a kettle bell in your hand do differently than holding any other weight in your hand?

19. Morrigann

Morrigann New Member

Sorry, but your wrists won't actually get "bigger". That's just your frame. You can certainly increase your grip strength with hand exercisers, and of course steady punching, etc. You can also build up your forearms to be big and powerful since there's muscle to work on there. Also, the stronger you can make your grip, the safer your wrists will be from strain and fractures.

20. mondragon

mondragon New Member

Just stretch you’re wrist! Hold a dumble, punch it in a punch bag! And for you to find out more!