Wrist Locks

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by mattt, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Grip fighting, it's in and out of holds, not stuck in position, there are moments that opportunities arise to both apply and resist Nikkyo.

I'd love to feel it from Chiba sensei, but of course to do so properly resisting it wouldn't be appropriate.

Not saying the guys teacher as it would be possible to figure who the guy is.

Not saying the training at all three levels hasn't created fantastic practitioners.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Matt,
    No disrespect or any malice meant in this mail.If you tried to resist a nikkyo from Chiba Sensei [[for example] I would suggest this would not be a good idea.You would risk getting a injury to your wrist .This is the last thing either you or any aikido instructor would want to happen in training.As I said Nikkyo is a pretty effective move if done correctly. Cheers, Joe.
    Ps Same goes for kote gaeshi. A kote gaeshi can do damage to the wrist if done in a severe manner.Again not a good idea to resist.Aikido aims to use minimum effort/force /strength to control Uke.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I doubt Chiba Sensei would be partaking in BJJ randori, which is the context of this discussion.

In BJJ Training via Randori with resistence is viewed as an essential form of Tanren Keiko.

4. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Dear Fusen,
    You are correct regarding Chiba Sensei in respect of him participating in BJJ.What I was saying is that resisting a powerfully applied nikkyo may damage the person who is resisting.While competition has its place and participants may well use resistance ,I know from first hand experience how a good wrist lock can be very effective. I also feel that one should endeavour to control a person without the possibility of injuring the other party.Cheers, Joe.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

This is one of the reasons wrist locks are not emphasised in BJJ training, during the early stages of training, and positional control is.

Everything has its correct context and sparring safely with the more dangerous techniques such as wristlocks/heelhooks can only be done with someone who has control, a good understanding of the technique/principle and the lack of ego to tap early when required

6. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Actually, I just looked up these and got them backwards, sorry... I was referring to Kote Gaeshi not Nikkyo as the move we pull off most frequently on one another, perhaps that caused the misunderstanding.

Please do take this as being disrespectful either, but I firmly believe, without it being any reflection on Chiba sensei that any of these techniques can be countered, rather than flowed with.

There is a tipping point where you simply must flow (or tap if allowed) but until that point you can stop the technique with resistance once you are familiar with it. The tipping point is when your structure is broken, your back bending, your shoulder rolling (trying to release the strain) if it gets this far you are done for.

In my other arts people love/hate training with me as I will give nothing up, I am a 'bad uke' and have good balance from the BJJ standup randori, so to get these moves to work most people need to use Atemi to disrupt me, or catching that moment of timing, to go along with the movement.

This fighting back seems to go against the concept of Aikido, with its very flowing Ukemi, but I am not so familiar with this art - do you study in a way that really challenges the technique rather than allowing it to be put on you?

For the Kote Gaeshi, making a fist, followed by shortening the distance between your taken hand and your body, cumulating with sticking your body to your hand, will negate the lock.

Any technique from anyone can be countered when understood.