wrestling...

Discussion in 'MMA' started by tekkengod, Oct 12, 2006.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

well, heres a thought. My ground game has been admittedly sloppy,so i've come to a cross roads. I train on wendsdays with the wrestlers at my school on my own to compensate, and i've found some of those guys to be unnaturally good. So i've had the thought as of late to stop training MMA for the length of wrestling season and just take up wrestling for the time being, its 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. Its free, and i think its what i need. Its more than i train to begin with as i do 2 hours a day 4 days a week right now. Of course during this time i'd keep my striking proficent on my own. What do you guys think? given the vast number of great fighters who started with wrestling i can't see the harm. although i have noticed i have to get out of the combative mindset and stop looking for submissions and chokes, the hardest thing thus far has been learning to do everything BUT work from my back, i hate that. but anyway, thoughts?

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

As long as you keep working on your other skills to keep them up to speed, do it. Taking a little wrestling can't help but improve your game, if anything you'll improve your take downs/and defense.

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

free is a good price though!

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Sounds good to me, you get the experience of cutting weight that will help if you ever want to fight MMA and the physical conditioning is pretty dmn god from what I hear.

On top of that if i remember right, the most succesfull guys in the UFC come from a wrestling background (As in the highest % of wins went to people who cited their background as wrestling) with BJJ second, nboxing third and MT fourth.

5. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

a great idea....great...i was a wrestler in highschool. helps out just about anyother sport

conditioning great....you will learn what it really lke to be in shape...trust me...its tough....when i was in the army at ranger school they all said this will be the toughest thing you ever do....no way wresting was ....its hard to make it through that first 2 weeks but it gets better.

takedowns.....wrestlers take down everyone.....what the ufc... the only guys who can takedown a wrestler is ANOTHER wrestler.

some advice i wish i had....(we didnt have mma back then) be a takedown artist and a leg ridder this will help you the most.

plus unless thing have changed since i was in school ......atheletes get the chicks

6. heim

heim Valued Member

i wrestled a couple years ago, and i plan on doing it again this year. In fact i just got my contacts today so i can finally see on the mat. But, it's a rough sport, all though i'm doing it since there's no forms of mma located nearby or anything, but when i graduate from school hopefully i'll get some free time to finally do something. But, it is pretty brutal, and i bet it'll be pretty difficult learning to not do chokes and locks and have to learn proper form so you don't get disqualified every other match :p

But, it's a great sport, and it allows people to see your skills that you know, and since not many other wrestlers train in a form of ma, you tend to have the advantage, and you'll be in with the chicks easily ;)

7. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Go for it. If nothing else, you can learn to sprawl really well and not get caught in a bad position on the ground.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Personally, I would stick with the MMA and focus on it.

Do what you enjoy though.

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

3 hrs a day 5 days a week and free! go for it bro :)

10. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

At this point, I'd like to draw attention o how much I hate you for being able to do this in America, in Brittain the closest thing we have to wrestling is rugby and we only got to do some form of P.E. for about 2 hours a week.

11. hux

hux ya, whatever.

the best training is the training you find motivating ;)

go fer it!

that gives me some concern - how are you going to do that, exactly?

12. Aaron Fields

Aaron Fields Valued Member

Wrestling will only help you, not only is it a great sport, but the skills you learn will transfer to any grappling sport. Later you will need to add to the skill set, and get use to positional hierarchy of whatever you are doing. But wrestling is great sport, for fitness, fun, and just all around, teaches mental toughness.

Aaron Fields

13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

here here arron fields :)

14. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

so there is no wrestling in the uk? or just poor programs, do you guys feild an olimpic team at all? also..... why ?

i have kinda suspected something like this cause...the mma guys i have fought or saw from the uk were VERY weak in the wrestling department.....tough guys, good athelete...and can bang....but poor wrestlers

15. Sever

Sever Valued Member

No idea why, but no schools that I know of have wrestling teams. None of the colleges or universities I went to did either. If you want to wrestle over here, you really have to search hard for a club

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  16. Oversoul

Oversoul Valued Member

Well, you're in the UK. In the US, it's very common for schools to have (folkstyle) wrestling as a winter sport. It has died down a bit in colleges from what I understand, but I was never good enough to wrestle at the college level anyway...

17. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

do you guys feild an olympic team? if not start a wresling club....get a book train as best you can....and go to the olympics....ala eddy the eagle....( crappy ski jumper from a country that dont have them....im pretty sure it was england)

or the jamacan bobsled team for the more current example

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

we are not that bad in the uk mai tai! we do have a olympic team,one of my thai boxing students(14 yrs old) recently trained with them.i wrestled for a while(2 years)and loved it,its a great sport isnt it,if muay thai hadnt taken up so much of my time i would of stayed with it and wrestled more,very friendly people involved in the sport and very safe cmpetitions,it was freestyle,i thingk the uk is very thin on the ground when it comes to greco roman practitioners,im unsure if we have a olympic team for that area or not,i dont think we do,anyone else know more? :)

19. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

nice one garibaldi,nice to see my old coach dave sudron from stockton on there,he is a great guy and coach,also a olympic referee,cant recomend him enough to anyone in the north east of england looking to train in freestyle wrestling :)