Wrestling vs. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Dead_pool, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

As someone who is just starting wrestling training, in order to help my BJJ, I found it a Very interesting interview -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCbYLZLcu9k"]155 Reasons, Episode V -Wrestling vs. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, The Frankie Edgar Series - YouTube[/ame]

2. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I saw this series but havent followed it. Good insight from MMA guys.

Where you training your wrestling now Fusen?

3. Dead_pool

Under my BJJ coach, Its apart of the MMA classes, so its just 'fundamental wrestling' i.e. takedowns and clinch control., not sports specific as such.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I have found taking up bjj has been the best way to help my bjj. Though admitably it was rather weak until then.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

LOL!

I think that the best players in BJJ generally have a crossover into other disciplines - "Megaton" Diaz was a Judoka for example

For me I look to being a better GRAPPLER as opposed to any one particular discipline

6. Dead_pool

its all about the aggresion and conditioning you see! lol :)

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

That would seem like a reasonable approach considering why you are taking up wrestling. I know that the guys at the MMA club I attend sometimes didn't really warm to the idea of learning freestyle/greco but really were interested in broadening their game for MMA. Good in one way and not so good in others but really it's all about why you are learning it in the first place.

Still think that it's a bit sad that Great Britain couldn't put up any athletes at an experienced enough level to compete in the Olympics here although they are given automatic places (if they have met the pre-requisites). Would be really nice to see wrestling given more attention in the UK since it's such a great sport to participate in (and sometimes to watch).

LFD

8. Dead_pool

TBH ill train anything of good quality I have the time for, same reason I train striking, I dont enjoy it like BJJ, But the better I get at it, the less I dont enjoy it. :)

9. B3astfrmthe3ast

B3astfrmthe3ast Warning:Extreme power!!

I think personally they go hand in hand I know for my students I always teach them that it is better to be able to put them in the position you want them in and then submit them vs always trying to take what it is given and submit them based on their movement. on the other hand it is great to have the ability to know that you can submit them in any position or situation that may arise. so why not have both which is why i teach grappling in two sections Wrestling (Greco,Freestyle) and Submissions (BJJ, Sambo, ETC)

10. Legattacks

Legattacks New Member

I think all grappling styles have pros and cons, so i like to cross train styles. I like to train wrestling for its take downs and BJJ for the guard work.