Wrestling or Judo

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by boi_83, Jun 30, 2012.

1. boi_83

boi_83 New Member

I do not have any martial art training but had been doing weight lifting a few years back.
    However, I am now thinking of doing either Wrestling or Judo.
    What are the similarites and differences between Wrestling and Judo.
    I have been watching youtube but had been unable to tell them apart.
    Which of them offers more techniques and is able to be used for self defence better on the streets.

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Two pretty different styles and two sports with very different rule sets. If you're watching vids and you cant tell them apart... big hint... the guys with the gi's and belts and trousers are the judokas. The guys in the singlets or the board shorts and ear protectors are wrestlers.

How old are you and what part of the world do you live in? Do you have access to a school wrestling program?

3. boi_83

boi_83 New Member

I can't understand the techniques of Wrestling and Judo when they are having competitions or when they cross spar.
    I am 29 and in Singapore.
    We do have an adult wrestling basic programme and there are judo dojos available as well.
    I intend to focus more on self defence and learn either of it rather than training for competition.
    I am quite bad with my hands and feet but I like to push or wrestle.

4. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Try them both out and see which place/trainer you prefer

They will both give you standing grappleing, takedowns and groundwork so the choice is which place suits your style, timetable and wallet the best

IMHO

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

try them out!

prefer wrestling. it has a more rounded use of leg attacks and a variety of grabs. it also transfers well to areas without the judo costume and needs no tweaking unlike judo.

judo is pretty limited in its leg grabs but has ground attacks based on submission which can be used as restraining holds.

wrestling groundwork is based solely on pinning, but that has been proven effective in subduing opponents in the MMA arena and i think is better for general fighting scenarios.

6. boi_83

boi_83 New Member

Thanks for your advice.

7. finite monkey

your welcome

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

wrestling, if its available its not even a hard decision

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Both are excellent arts, try them both and see which you prefer. Of course ideally do both ;)

10. JamesR

JamesR Valued Member

For self defence i'd have to say go with Judo since you should also be getting self defence aspects as well as more standing work and more submission type groundwork.

It's just a lot more rounded imo

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

On the

- summer time sand beach, the wrestler will have advantage.
    - winter time ski slope, the Judoka will have advantage.

I have a wrestler student who has 15 years wrestling experience. He didn't do very well in his first Gi wrestling. His problem is he has not built up his experience on "which Gi hold can lead to which Gi throw" yet. When his opponent gets a hold on him, He still can't predict what may happen.

It may be difficult to switch from Gi to no-Gi. It's also difficult to switch from no-Gi to Gi as well.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  12. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'd say this sums up my views but I would add that any decent wrestling coach will beast you far harder than the average judo class. From a self defence and competition perspective that conditioning is priceless.

13. boi_83

boi_83 New Member

Thks everyone for your advise.
    I would go for Wrestling class since where I am from, it is always summer.
    Would Greco-Roman or Freestyle Wrestling be more ideal for self defence on the streets?

14. boi_83

boi_83 New Member

I recall being told by a friend that Judo has more techniques such as throws and choke compared to Wrestling and the impact of a Judo throw has more impact compared to Wrestling.
    Could anyone advise?

15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

The force of a throw is entirely dependant on what technique is being used and who's doing the throwing. It's not style dependent.

The advantage of judo training for groundwork will be that you learn chokes and armlocks.

I think that for self defense the lack of a gi isn't as much an issue as people make out, as unless you get attacked by someone who's naked and greased up then you'll be able to find your grips on a t shirt etc.

16. Mangosteen

judo has more choking techniques but freestyle wrestling has a LOAD of leg grab that judo doesnt have.

i would take freestyle, its more open in terms of the attacks they use.

17. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Judo still has plenty of leg grabs, just not single legs and doubles anymore really.

18. finite monkey

May I add that if you choose to train for SD, judo has plenty of techniques that are effective even though the are outside of competition rules

19. Mangosteen

saying that, it depends where you train - there are many clubs that focus only on competition and some clubs that are great for self defence.

as you said, it's best if OP tries out places and sees what he likes

20. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

There is also the matter of which TYPE of Wrestling and which TYPE of Judo one takes. Personally, I would hold with pre-Olympic Judo as it is much more open to chokes and with pins which work against the joints. Collegiate wrestling has far more limits about crossing the center-line of the throat with the forearm or breaking a 90 degree angle with the arm or leg. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce