Wrestling in London

Discussion in 'Wrestling' started by Oddsbodskins, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

So, I'm not sure if this should be here or in the MMA/Sub Grappling section, but this seemed most likely (should anyone want to change it who can, then feel free).

What I'm looking for is some advice regarding wrestling classes in London. I don't really know what I'm looking for as regards grappling classes, so although I've looked at what's advertised online I've got a poor frame of reference, and given how many grapplers, and how many Londoners, we have I was hoping for some solid recommendations.

I'm asking because I noted during a session with JWT at DART that my instinctive fight, for want of a better phrase, is to strike, clinch, takedown and subdue. Obviously with a bit of mixing and some varied striking thrown in at different points to ease the process. However, what I've trained in doesn't match up to what my instincts tell me to do. So to that end, I'm keen to improve my clinch/takedown game, and from what I've seen and read suspect that wrestling might be the way to do it.

So the long and short of it is that I'm looking for a wrestling class in London that will be happy to take on a grappling n00b who fully intends to crosstrain with what he's already doing, and really hope someone can help me out.

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Ask squishy mushy-room

3. Mangosteen

4. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

5. Mangosteen

Some places that teach wrestling or have a decent wrestling coach aren't BWA affiliated because they train under the manner of MMA or specifically for MMA with no regular wrestling competitors

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I know but that's never going to be enough to create an olympic level British Wrestling team.

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

There are differences in how you approach things if you are training for MMA versus freestyle or greco matches. The guy that I sometimes train with here in the UK was on the CDN junior national squad and started out teaching freestyle. Unfortunately everyone wants to do MMA first so freestyle was dropped andd people don't learn the stuff that makes freestyle what it is. Not a bad thing if MMA is where you are headed but it is too bad that a country with such a rich wrestling history can't produce anyone (native) to qualify for the Olympic squad.

Just sayin'

LFD

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

This group is the only one I know of with classes in London dedicated to the sport.

http://www.law-wrestling.org/practices/fees.html#practices

The rest will be part of other disciplines, basically MMA classes or found in other styles.
    Mushroom was lucky because he was able to do it through his work.

You might also consider Judo as an alternative.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Are you looking for takedowns, clinch training without strikes ie proper wrestling ala the OL games?, or to integrate striking, clinch and takedowns?
    To be honest if it’s the latter a solid MMA class with a good wrestling programme (such as London shootfighters) would be an idea. Straight freestyle is different from wrestling for MMA: the tactics and techniques change when strikes and submissions are added: Ho you stand, where you hold your hands, the grips you use, how you set the takedowns up, and the actual takedowns you use all change.
    Guys who grew up in the states (and Canada…nod to LFD) and who spent 3 hours a day 6 days a week wrestling find the transition between the two easy, if you are only training a couple of times a week it might be better to simply start in the MMA venue with a good wrestling coach.

If it’s the former you want, good luck true wrestling is hard to find and its getting rarer unfortunately

10. Oddsbodskins

I suppose I'd probably rather the former, I'm aware that it's a less efficient means of going about it but I'm a firm believer in adding a little diversity to my life, keeps it much more interesting. I think I'll probably try to get in touch with them at LAW wrestling next time I have a Saturday off then. Thanks all for assistance.

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Oi. :woo:

Cloudz suggestion the best bet as they are the ones in the know. You have LAW which is in Kensington somewhere and its cheap too (considering its in posh part of London) Plenty of competition level guys there from Turkey, Pakistan etc.
    It was one of their comps where I did my knee in but they are by and large pretty much the "purest" in wrestling as its pretty much all they focus on.
    (and I dont mean purest in some form of elitist sense, its just that they only focus on wrestling and recently submission fighting but they been around the longest as well)

Also check this place out.. http://thebucketoblood.co.uk/
    Owner is a Jon Ritchie who is a Pro Wrestling troupe, however..they do Freestlye Wrestling as well and the coach is a national level referee. (not really London I know but not far off) I go there when I'm able to every few months as its my former coach as well.

Other places it'll be from MMA teams, like London Shoot or Urban Kings (altho I dont know who trains both their wrestling now)
    I have just found out about a private team in Southall, all Pakistanis who compete. I may have a look at them.

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

13. Oddsbodskins

Timetable looks good but is a little harder to get to from my bit.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Its good to see at least some more wrestling in London. Largely due to the popularisation of MMA though.

I remember going to a comp and everyone knew each other. Even though the teams were from the other ends of the country. When I asked around its because the wrestling circles were small (as well as politics apparently which were never explained to me)

15. icefield

icefield Valued Member

One thing i would say and i think Mushroom alluded to it in one of his earlier posts is if you want pure wrestling ask amongst your indian and pakistani friends wrestling is still big amongst those communites here in the UK

16. Mangosteen

If your lucky they may do some pehlwani too (which is catch rules basically)