Wrapping Wrist for Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by OwlMAtt, Jun 14, 2011.

1. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

Is there any way this can work? A particularly wicked nikkyo messed my wrist up a few months ago, and I'd like some extra support on the wrist if I'm going to keep training. But I haven't found anything that is both small enough not to get in the way and secure enought to stay on for a whole class.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

3. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

If you want to continue training rather than taking the time off resting your injury then you might consider just wrapping the wrist with some adhesive surgical tape. It will support the wrist a bit more and make your training partner aware of an injury.

Always make your partner aware of an injury or you only have yourself to blame if they end up doing more damage

4. jumpfor joy

jumpfor joy Valued Member

rest

Rest it, wrapping an injured wrist will make it weaker and more vunerable to injury. Rest it and let it heal and slowly Pt to normal.

5. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

There is nothing you can do but rest it, then start to slowly condition and strengthen your wrist and tendons. The best way to do that is lots of slow nikyo stretches, knuckle pressups. Its so important to make your body strong and flexible in Budo training. Your wrists should be like bamboo, string yet flexible. But yes give it a rest for a while

6. Osu,

I agree with the rest suggested above.
    If you decide to train around your injury, then wrapping it is a great idea to protect it from a mishap, and as a signal/reminder to your partners. :)

osu!

7. OwlMAtt

Yeah, I'm already marking it and keeping my partners informed to lay off the nikkyo and kotegaeshi on that wrist. I'm just wondering how to wrap it in a way that will stay on in a class.

8. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I know it is hard to give up your training for a while because of injury. My advice is rest build up the strength or you could be suffering for a long time. If you wish to continue inform your partner of your situation as you are doing above. I would also make instructor aware of your injury, also be careful who you practice with.

9. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Also, go slap the taste out of the mouth of the individual who wasn't responsive or knowledgeable enough to know when to stop the application which resulted in the injury to your wrist.

Joking aside; I can't agree enough with the sentiments already expressed. you MUST rest the wrist to allow it to recover. As I'm assuming you're continuing with your training in the mean time, the best tape to use (although not the cheapest) is Zink Alloy sticky tape. This stuff stays in place even when you're skin is damp and will resist movement. I've been using this stuff on my feet for years whilst running.

Dave

10. righty

righty Valued Member

The over the counter wrist supports should do the trick. If it's getting in the way then it's not doing its job and you should probably avoid that technique, rather than avoid the wrapping. Something ike this...

[​IMG]

Many people have suggested wrapping with adhesive sports take which is the best option. However since it's your wrist you will need someone else to apply it, and apply it properly. How the wrist is taped is greatly influenced by exactly what the injury is.

[​IMG]

11. OwlMAtt

To be fair, it was as much my fault as his. I bit off more than I could chew. I'm not experienced enough to be doing the kind of things we were doing at the speed at which we were doing them.

12. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Fair one.. although I did state I was joking with that I'd written. :)

13. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

I like the fact you are still training, and not using this injury to take a break or as an excuse to stop training altogether. One of my sensei would always say if you get hurt on the mat, you should heal on the mat.

That doesn't mean you work that injury to death, but you recondition, retrain, and re-work its flexibility and usefulness gradually and at your own pace.

Tape is good for a short while, but over the long run restricts mobility. Even if you are not using this wrist as much, if it has been two or three weeks, take the tape off. Or consider using less an less tape as you work towards removing the tape alltogether. Still let the folks know of your injury, or use just a single band of tape if that is what clues others into your injury.

Remind them on occasion, as people tend to forget. Also realize that resistance in a technique is good to a certain point. Aikido techniques are perfectly designed to deal with resistance.

Before class gently work with that wrist, rolling and flexing it to what is comfortable. If your injury is not improving after about 8 weeks, you might want to consider having a doctor look at it and requesting an MRI.

Anyways, keep up the training.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  14. dmiller575

dmiller575 Valued Member

I suggest using hot and cold treatment on the wrist. So get a bowl of hot water that is as hot as you can bear. Put your hand in up to the wrist and rotate your wrist as much as you can. 10 minutes later plunge your hand up to the wrist i a basin of cold water. You will find your wrist loses mobility in the cold water. This process tends to bring blood to the injured area and helps the healing process.

Repeat this a few times and carry on each day that your wrist causes problems.

Always use some form of strapping on your wrist on the mat and only allow your good wrist to be used in techniques. Do not leave the wrist strapping on other than during practice as this tends to weaken the muscles around the injury.

If the injury is very painful and prevents practice then attend all lessons and watch your teacher. I found that if I watched a lesson I usually saw much more if I did not have the pressure of getting up and trying to perform the techniques shown. You also get to see how all of the students manage to pick up the aspects of the techniques being shown. You can learn by their mistakes and their successes.

Never break the habit of attending classes even if you cannot practice.

15. kravi2

kravi2 Valued Member

I would recommend resting it as much as possible. Continue to train in Aikido, but whenever possible try to train one handed ;) Granted that is probably quite a challenge (I'm not an Aikido person, so assuming here) and mexican boxing wraps are what I would recommend. They are designed for bracing the wrists and stay on extremely well.

But really it is rest that is key to healing quickly and properly. Don't want to further aggravate or inflame an already aggravated and inflamed injury.

--Me

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'm probably a bit late with my answer here. But Aikido demands strong but flexible wrists. When the wrist has healed start doing knuckle push-ups and bokken and jo suburi to strengthen the wrists. There are also a number of exercises commonly used in Aikido to keep the wrists flexible. Speak to your teacher about those.

17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm big into strengthening up an area and recovering full range of motion as a big way to prevent re-injury. When something gets injured, it has to be given time to heal properly. During this time the muscles that hold everything together go through apathy and diminish significantly to almost nothing.

Also train smarter. Keep limbs tight to your body during ukemi. Any space is going to allow more torque on you.

18. macker

macker Valued Member

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'm struggling to understand how that works. I don't see how the tape provides any support at all.

20. macker

macker Valued Member

You may need to read it again then.