Would you still watch these guys?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by callsignfuzzy, Nov 2, 2008.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

There was an article on Sherdog today about Jerry Bolhander that got me thinking. We talk a lot about MMA fighters retiring. Guys like Chuck, Hughs, Randy, Ken, Sakuraba. But wouldn't we still watch these guys, and old-schoolers like them? I'll admit I had a slight glimmer of hope for Sakuraba to win the Dream MW tournament, and wanted Ken to return to top form to take out Kimbo. Guys like Wanderlei Silva are still arguably at the top, and fought back in the old bareknuckle Vale Tudo days. Dan Severn is still fighting, and Royce Gracie can get a fight almost any time he wants based on stuff he did 12-15 years ago. So would you pay to watch:

Dan Severn
    Royce Gracie
    Kimo Leopoldo
    Guy Mezger
    Jerry Bolhander
    Bas Rutten
    Mark Kerr
    Igor Vovchanchyan
    Rickson Gracie
    Oleg Taktarov
    Steve Jennum
    Yoji Anjo
    Enson Inoue
    Dave Beneteau
    Garry Goodrich
    Pat Miletich
    Pat Smith
    ...?

2. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Some on your list are definitely retired. Mezger had a stroke and would never be cleared to fight again and Igor has too many injuries, he can't even punch with his right hand anymore.

I'd pay alot to see Rickson Gracie fight again, he was such a god in the early days, be interesting to see how he's fair now. Personally I think hes still probably better on the ground that most of the current fighters. The number of guys who train with him and then rave about how good he is is very impressive. Whether he could get it to the ground is another thing...

I also like to see Pat Militich, Gary Goodridge, Bas, Enson and Royce fight, they're such charicters and always entertaining. Doubt if Bas will fight again though :(

Not bothered about the rest really, although I was quite impressed with Smith's striking against Butterbean at Yamma, quite surprised me!

3. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

I would love to see Rickson fight again - how about against Royce?

4. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

I would rather not see Royse get tossed around by Matt Hughes again. That was hard to watch.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Erm, you know they're brothers right?:rolleyes:

6. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

Oh yeah. I'm reasoning that it would add some extra spice to it. I have it on good authority the Rickson crushed Royce's remote-control fire engine with his BMX, and that anger is still there, just waiting to come out...

7. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

I had no idea Igor had so many injuries. That is too bad. He was a very exciting fighter back in the day.

Bas is out for injuries as well. And it makes sense. If you have a injury you can't even prepare properly let alone perform properly on the day of the event.

8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

THIS is a recentish interview. Shame cos his punching technique was one fo the most unusual and effective ones I've ever seen and I'd love to see a few more KOs from him.

9. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Thanks for that interview. Always was an Igor fan.

10. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

Dan Severn
    Royce Gracie
    Kimo Leopoldo
    Guy Mezger
    Jerry Bolhander
    Bas Rutten
    Mark Kerr
    Igor Vovchanchyan
    Rickson Gracie just to see what he can still do
    Oleg Taktarov
    Steve Jennum
    Yoji Anjo
    Enson Inoue
    Dave Beneteau
    Garry Goodrich
    Pat Miletich
    Pat Smith
    ...?[/QUOTE]

rest I don't give a damn about except I would watch igor or mark if they were still what they used to be....but as we all know, mark is a fatass now and igor can't even punch properly :(

11. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

saw Gary Goodridge fight earlier this year in Korea, he brought alot to the card via his charisma etc, lost the fight tho by TKO i think it was, he has a habit of losing thesedays, also heard that the night before the fight he was refusing to get in the ring and was demanding more money to fight

12. OBrian

OBrian New Member

I've watched some of those guys fight live takes me back a few years ;)

I'd love to see more fighters more like them these days, they were adventurers going into the cage like it was the American West in 1820s. Now that path is well trodden and everyone knows the same tricks same moves. We call that progress but I am nostalgic forgive me!

13. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

I should have made the caveat about "injuries aside".

I was watching some Genki Sudo clips the other day. Shame the injuried caught up with him. Also heard that Melvin Manhoef has retired after losing the Dream GP.

As for the guys on the list, Severn still fights. If he did a local show I just might show up to see how a 50yo fighter handles himself...

I liked Taktarov back in the day. Tough, cut like French cheese though. Loved his leg locks.

I've been watching more and more footage of Mezger lately. I think I might be able to learn from his style a bit, given my karate background. We both use side kicks, at least.

I think Jennum is actually underrated. Had he been in better shape he might be perfect for the modern rules with the weight classes, or at least for competing back in 2000 or so. Wasn't great at anything, but he could strike and grapple.

Kerr is in terrible shape now. Dude fell hard. If he could get his act together, I think he might be a decent gatekeeper for someone. He's still got the ability to be The Hammer.

I've only seen one Enson match, and that was the one with Igor. Not much to say there. Apparently he wasn't that great, skill-wise, but was tough as hell. I want to see his match with Frank Shamrock.

I'd watch Bas and Pat any day of the week, even though I think that they're probably 5 years behind the developmental curve. They're still warriors, "cagey veterans", and would be fun to watch.

I'd watch Rickson, but it would have to be against Sakuraba or Bas or something.

14. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Yeah I've been watching more of him since getting more of the older Prides. Mezger's an unfortunate fighter who was up there with the best at the time abd would have a much higher profile now if he's have won a couple of key fights. On his feet he could still hang with any of the current LHW fighters IMHO, his stand up is wonderful to watch sometimes. Some of the combos he puts together are incredable!

15. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

16. OBrian

OBrian New Member

why no Pitfighter? Just curious, having watched some oldies in their prime I can attest to the brilliance of the entertainment.