Would you kill?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Hapuka, Feb 2, 2007.

?

Would you kill?

1. Yes

419 vote(s)
    85.5%
  2. No

71 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

That's the one.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

At this point in my life, after all I've been through in the last year, I would kill anyone I caught in my house w/o permission for almost any reason. Mugger, dead, rapist, dead, car thief, dead. DEAD DEAD DEAD. Shoot first ask questions later. My Smith and Wesson 9mm 17 round semi-automatic will do the talking for me.

3. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

case in point: dunno what you've been going through man but in a way it doesn't matter, no matter what you've went through, you still don't know how you'd react until forced to make that decision. If you have then I apologise, but somehow if you had I doubt you'd be on a martial arts forum boasting about how ready to kill you are.

4. Kibbles

Kibbles The Iron Bucket

If someone was trying to kill me with a knife, I would try to stop him as quickly as I can with whatever I had at my disposal. The thought of killing him would not actually enter my head. I'd be more concerned about ending the threat to myself and others. It is likely that I may incidentally injure or kill that person while trying to stop him without being too concerned about it during the fight (assuming I'm not the one getting injured or killed). I know this because I've been in a short fight against someone with a knife. No one was killed thankfully. I guess that's a yes though.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

This is probably the closest to realistic you're going to get. Self preservation comes first and in that sort of scenario someone may end up dead but I doubt it'd be a conscious decision

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

If I could help it, no. But if I had absolutely no choice, then yes.

But if someone stole my sushi....

7. Kwajman

I understand your response, but I truly believe there are some people who simply should not be in our world. There has been so much crime lately that I've just gotten sick and tired of criminals being coddled by society. I carry my 9mm concealed at all times unless its forbidden (schools, govt buildings, etc) but if I were to come home at 2 AM and saw a door open and someone carrying things out, they get what they deserve.

Now some will say a computer or tv isn't worth a taking a human life but who knows what this piece of scum has done in the past or will do in the future.

8. Master Betty

I agree mate, there ARE some people that shouldn't be in the world, but it's one thing to make a hypothetical decision about what should be done about these people - what you'd do to them if given the chance... and actually having to be the one doing it.

Human beings are capable of some truly horrible acts and I don't mean the occasional human. The average person is able to do some really nasty things and not even bat an eyelid - especially when a figure of authority tells them to do it. The reasoning behind it is simple - responsibility. Our brains will tell us to do one action when we feel we have no responsibility for our actions. However, getting up in the middle of the night knowing someone's in your house.... it's pretty hard to convince yourself that you wont feel responsible for killing someone who was trying to rob you.

There's a reason why many soldiers who've actually shot to kill are assigned to a psychiatrist for later therapy.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

meh - there are plenty of people who can kill someone and then turn over and get a good nights sleep. Not lose a wink of it. Don't think there are? Spend some time in or around correctional facilities. The world is full of people who'd think nothing of killing a fellow human being... not post traumatic stress disorder, not anguished nights of wondering what if... none of that. Anyone who doesn't understand that is truly kidding themselves.

10. Master Betty

Yeah but I'll bet a hefty sum that a large proportion of those people have been brought up in environments where that isn't so unusual either. It's an entirely different thing for a normal, (i assume:)) well adjusted human being to decide one night hes going to kill the guy in his house.

11. LeaFirebender

LeaFirebender Ice Bear has ninja stars

Yeah pretty much the same here.

But this is very true. I guess I wouldn't know. And I hope to never find out ...

12. Southpaw535

I'm curious, why would certain people rather die than kill someone else in self defence? You don't keep your honor points when you die.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Pick up the book "On Killing." Quite an interesting read.

14. Southpaw535

Been meaning to buy it when I have the money but during another thread I came across another piece by the same author that was chewed out by professionals for being stupidly biased and picky with the evidence he used. Still interested in reading it but his credibility has taken quite a hit with me.

15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Everyone has their detractors. There are some flaws to his book (applying modern standards of living to older times, for example) but the pros vastly outweigh the cons in my opinion. Like anything written about violence, take it with a grain of salt. Some libraries might have it.

16. Southpaw535

Sadly I was one of them. When you wirte a paper on video game violence and call all games "murder simulators" multiple times I tend to stop taking you seriously :p
    Taking myself out of it though that book was heavily criticised. It wasn't just your typical few bad reviews among a sea of praise, it was more or less completely canned by psychologists because the bias was so blinding. Still, I imagine war is more his area of expertise.

Good shout, hadn't thought of libraries.

17. Kwajman

In many cases the person ordering the killing has no problem since they aren't the ones pulling the trigger. Also when the person actually doing the shooting or whatever is told by superiors that its 'justified'. Look at the israeli massacres of the refugee camps in Lebanon in 1982, commanders told the troops it was full of PLO fighters and they were responsible for the attempted assassination of an ambassador, so the troops oversaw the murders of thousands of old men, women, and babies....justified...

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I would kill without hesitation should it be necessary. That is not the same as killing without thought or conscience.

The original question was specific as is my answer - you draw a knife on me I will kill you, but if the threat (ie knife) is somehow mitigated prior I will not.

Psychology of combat and fighting is unusual and without getting too much into it, killing is one area where "street vs sport" favors the PREPARED street mindset. Most "sports" algae neither the training nor the inclination. To be honest the chances of it happening are sooooo remote it is not worth dwelling on - but it is worth preparing for

19. MUSOOLJOHN

MUSOOLJOHN AKA KUKSOOLJOHN

If I couldn't get away or to protect my family....Yes

20. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

If put in a situation where it was me, my family or him, I would without hesitation. Sure my son would want his father around but I wouldn't also rule out in protection of other members of the public dependent on the scenario and it would have to be extreme

I have been in some dangerous situations before but naturally as I have never had to use lethal force (not that I would want to!) this is strictly theoretical

Rare indeed in this day and age in a developed country but is something we need to be aware of and our training should be able to escalate or descalate a scenario as required from verbal deagression and posture to lethal force. I look at as insurance, you might never need it but you will be glad its there if you do! :evil:

Cheers

Dan93
    Cognito Ergo Sum!