Would TKD be right for me?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Mahke, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mahke

Mahke New Member

Sorry for the lame question :)

I live in South London (SW16 for those who know it!), and the closest school to me is TKD - literally a 10 minute walk away. (There are other styles locally, but I would need to drive to them - and I commute for an hour to get home as it is).

Anyway, I'm just wondering if TKD would be right for me (or me for it)? I did judo briefly when I was a child, as well as boxing for about a year in my early teens, hence my interest in studying one of the arts. I have been considering taking up a martial art for some time - I am 34, overweight, stiff, and in serious need of getting it sorted :) I don't want to join a gym, as I don't find them a) very social, or b) very interesting (meaning, I get bored and quit).

My only concern is that I am too unfit/overweight (19.5 stone [273lbs], 6'1"), or too old for it to be much benefit. I know TKD is a very "sporty" (ie, high impact) art.

What I want to get out of it is, obviously, to be more fit, but also to increase my flexibility and confidence. I don't mind sparring, and am willing to put in the hard work, I just want to make sure I've chosen the right style.

This is the school I am considering: http://www.mazuki.com/

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am rushing it out before I go to work :)

2. Smartie27

Smartie27 New Member

I am 31 and I have taken it up! So I can't see why you can't! Albeit, I am not 19.5 stone, and 6'1, I am about 12st and 5'8, and I think I am overweight a bit of a spare tyre, but it does seem to be coming off...!! Go for it! :)

3. Counter

Counter Train more. Train harder.

Of course.. everyone can practise taekwondo. You can lose your overweight, and if you do enough stretching exercises, your stiffness will go away.
    You sound like the person with the good attitude.. I have a judo background myself (brown belt) and I also do some boxing right now, and I think they are good complements :)

4. Mahke

Mahke New Member

Thanks for the replies, guys - much appreciated :) No doubt I'll need to take it slow at first to make sure I don't injure myself.

I'd welcome other's opinions as well :)

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

If you love kicking, breaking boards and cutting through the air then go for it, TKD is a great overall martial art. Highly recommend it for anyone starting a martial art. The club looks good too. Go for it 100% :)

6. HwaRang

HwaRang Just don't call me flower

Your missing the difference between being too unfit to do TKD, and being too unfit to start TKD.

Yeah, for sorting out flexibility and wieght issues TKD is excellent... as long as the club you join is a good one. You never know though, the Muai Thai club you end up loving may be an 11 minute walk in the other way.
    Basically unless we know the club we cant tell you more than already has been said - you have to check out the clubs you are interested in and decide which one you want to join.
    There are plenty of discussions on fees, grading periods, sd applications, etc that an ideal club should work on so check them out and remember to have a word with the instructor and find those things out.

All in all, good luck.

7. AdamR

AdamR Kwan Soo

Go for it I say. I started TSD about 15 months ago, in a similar condition (well, 28, 6'4 and heavier then than you are now), but you'll surprise yourself.

A year later and I'd already dropped 3 and a half stone with no particular 'diet' as such.

8. Mahke

Mahke New Member

Thanks again guys - I'm going to watch a lesson on Wednesday to see if it'll be right for me.

Adam - nice blog :D

9. I find it easier to get motivated for a MA class than a trip down the gym - probably because it's more social and a little more mentally stimulating.

You have to start somewhere - your aerobic fitness, strength and flexibity may improve when you start, especially if you are doing little in the way of exercise at the moment.

You won't get thrown in a the deep end. You are doing the right thing by going along to have a look. If you like the look of it, take part in a few classes before making your mind up.

10. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

I taught at a university for a couple of years, and my TKD class was always the first PE class to fill up, within 5 minutes actually.

Each semester I would have 1 or 2 students who would tell me that they wanted to get into shape, so we would have an after class discussion and this is what I would tell them.

You have the drive, you have the tools here, so take each exercise that I give you, remember them, and do them at home every day, rest on Sunday, and back into it again. I guarantee you will see results. Weight loss is up to you, and you alone. Adjust your diet. You don't have to stop eating what you like, but adjust down the portions little by little.

I can tell you with complete peace of mind that every one of them at the end of the semester were so happy with their personal results that they signed up for classes at local dojangs to continue their training.

Make sure you speak to the instructor about your goals, and ask them to help you with this. I think you will find a great deal of support, and if not, pick a different school.

Best,

Brian

11. SlowMovinTarget

SlowMovinTarget Valued Member

Absolutely, go for it. I'm 42, with three young childen and a high-pressure job. I took up TKD three years ago and have got a huge amount from it - physically, mentally and emotionally.

My fitness, strength and flexibility have all improved dramatically and I'm at a weight I last saw at 19. Best of all it gives me a real motivation to work out, rather than excuses not do. The grading system is fantastic - it always gives you another, attainable target to strive for.

My advice - give it your best shot, look at the black belts for inspiration and motivation (not comparison). When the going gets tough (and it will at times) look back and compare yourself with how you would have been if you hadn't taken up TKD. That is the real test, not whether you'll ever be as good as the black belt instructing you or as good as you could have been if you'd taken it up in your teens.

Good Luck!

12. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Go for it. The hardest step is walking in the door. And the easier it is for you to get there the more likely you are to stick with it. Remember that it is all about making it there regularly for the long term. You'll be surprised how healthy it is for you.

I've got a guy in class that is a big dude. He has been a bouncer for a long time. He doesn't need to worry about self-defense because no one messes with him (since he is big).

One of the most enthusiatic guys in the class and he is getting more fit and flexible than he has been in years.

13. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

When i started TKD i thought i couldnt do it either and i thought i would just give it up if it got hard. But 7 months later i have lost weight healed from my ankle surgery and 5 ranks later am learning things which are harder and harder to learn but instead of quiting i look forward to learning them. Martial arts is slowly turning my life aroud and i am proud of it. Go for it get through the door and stick with it for at least two or three months if you genuinly hate it try another style who knows maybe you will end up going back to TKD.

14. Mahke

Mahke New Member

Thanks guys - I'm looking forward to it now :)

15. lubowiem

lubowiem Valued Member

I started at 42, 305lbs, 6'2" no flexibility, and no stamina. I could barely finish the warm up in the first class. It's one of the best things I've ever done in my life. It's 1 1/2 years later, I've lost 40 lbs, (only 75 more to go) I can kick almost head level (on a good day) and I can train back to back family class then adult class with no break, and I'm dissappointed when it's time to go home. I say go for it.

16. Mahke

Mahke New Member

That's awesome :) Very inspiring :) I went to watch a class last night; I'm attending my first proper class on Monday :D