worst case scenario.

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Tempura, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Tempura

Tempura Valued Member

Hi guys.

recently i started to ponder about these techniques we are taught and etc.
    but we cant really experience the effectiveness of certain techniques, fully, due to reasons.

Here is my question. With techniques, such has Hiji Kudaki, how much power would we need to break/dislocate the elbow? or How much is enough to break a joint?

i dont plan going around breaking things. but, it gives me a good idea, when I'm stuck in an unfortunate situation.

2. kensei1984

kensei1984 Panda Power!

The answer is not much.

Locks are made so that they are mechanically advantageous to tori. That, is if tori unbalances and performs the technique properly, even with resistance. It does not depend on a single muscle, but a multitude of them, increasing it's efficiency.

The further you deviate from the "ideal" lock template, the more strength you will have to use to break the arm.

Hijikudaki done with a short explosive sharp twist from the waist when the elbow is fixed (body set hijikudaki that is) is enough to break the elbow.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

techniques are applied so as to manipulate the joint in a natural manner in the direction it is ment to bend this shall cause the attacker to fall, however if he resists and you continue with the throw or lock, this in itself will do damage to the joint.

There are also specific techniques for self defence that are most dangerous.

regards koyo

4. Tempura

Tempura Valued Member

with the technique Robuse, if i recall, the arm is full extended and your hand is placed on the elbow/slightly above it and your other hand is lighting the forearm up. So if the person resist, you just maintain that upward psuh, 'eventually' the elbow would be damage?

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Eventually is not quite the correct word. Ara waza (severe techniques) are applied about three times faster than normal allowing for no ukemi.
    See aikido vs aikijutsu thread which is open at the moment.

regards koyo

6. Tempura

Tempura Valued Member

i see i see. thanks you guys for clearing that up.