World Kali Eskrima Arnis Organisation

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Peter Lewis, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Mabuhay

I thought that it may be useful to create a new thread for this new organisation established by Keith Gilliland and GM Danny Guba, because the new organisation was 'announced' on the BCKEAI thread by AD2000.

To avoid any confusion for readers who are not members of either organiation, the W.K.E.A.O is not connected in any way to the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters (PCKEAM), which is recognised by the Philippine Olympic Committee and the United Nations. The W.K.E.A.O is not connected with any of the international branches of the PCKEAM, in particular the British Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Instructors (BCKEAI).

Hopefully, AD2000 can shed some light on this new organisation.

Gumagalang

Peter

2. AD2000

AD2000 New Member

Hi again
    Sorry, not affiliated to either group - just genuine interest in whats going on. Am sure someone from either group will get round to telling us whats going on. So please dont be so defensive if you see me posting.
    Thanks

3. Peter Lewis

Nobody is being defensive Mr / Mrs / Miss AD2000. It is purely a matter of clarification that two organisations, with similar names, are not linked in any way, shape or form. Therefore, it is logical that separate threads are used to discuss them. Obviously, you asked a question on the BCKEAI thread about a vacant role, but then added a statement about the W.K.E.A.O, which has no relationship to that thread. Also, bearing in mind that it is only a matter of a few days since GM Danny Guba resigned to follow his own aspirations, you seem to be extremely well informed for a bystander!

Gumagalang

Peter

4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Peter,
    It is those tricky new posters that are around, reading and knowing and asking and telling and showing.

Gary :rolleyes:

5. iknownothing?

iknownothing? New Member

Wkeao

Ive heard there is a lot of interest in this new group?
    If Danny Guba is heading it then it must be of value?

I saw somewhere there is no advertising allowed,is that right?

:)

6. Lucy O'Malley

Lucy O'Malley The Mother Art

Yes if GM Danny is part of the organisation it may have value, but I also feel it is not all down to one indivdual person or any fees that are paid, but the unity of the group and the organisations aims and objectives that give it real value.

Also the rules and regulations and the willingness of it's members to abide by them play a large part in any organisation. Maybe someone will eventually enlighten us as to the aims, objectives, rules and regulations that are expected of their members.

As long as they are honest and open in their approach and have a willingness to follow a set of true objectives the value GM Danny can bring to the group will be maintained.

At the moment I think it is all a little hush hush, as many senior FMA'ers around the world have not been invited to join this World Organisation and they have no idea of what the rules and regulations of the organisation are, which in turn means they will not know it's aims and objectives to be able to hold any opinion on what value it may have, regardless of who runs the organisation.

I currently have not received an invite which I am very surprised about as they claim to be open to all styles of FMA, instead they quite clearly state that they are not connected in any way to the British council, so how in the same breath can it be open to all styles, I don't understandand.

Now considering the British Council (which is open to all styles and free to join) is already part of a world organisation with strong aims and values, bearing in mind the British Council is just one of many councils around the world that is directly linked to the Philippine Council of Kali Eskrima Arnis Masters, surely they would want to be connected with the British Council if what they say is true, rather than stating they are not connected in any way, rather a political statement in itself and actually shows that they are not open to everyone.

The Philippine council has many grand masters and masters from numerous indiginous styles so I do not understand how if the majority of the top instructors in their relative styles from the UK and other countries are already linked to the Philippine council (which is a world orgaisation), why would there be a need for another world organisation making the same invitation to all styles, if it is unity they are interested in why wouldn't they join forces with the rest of the councils around the world?

What are the rules of this world organisation and how much does it cost to join? What are it's aims and objectives?

Love Lucy :love:

7. Peter Lewis

Guess what?...you still know nothing! :D :D :D

For someone that knows nothing, you seem to have 'heard' so much!!! Are you a student (or most likely a senior an instructor) of GM Danny? Joined MAP 2 days ago, 2 posts, both promoting GM Danny, and then you state no advertising??? Mind you, if your profile is accurate (questionable with people using pseudonyms!!!), then we share exactly the same birthday, so I can fully understand your lack of logic! :rolleyes:

Everyone is curious...what are the 'real' benefits to members of this new organisation?

Obviously, it is a commercial venture giving financial gains to the pockets of one or two people, but what about the actual members (i.e. the REAL 'bread and butter' people)?

What do they gain that they don't already have?

Who is authorised to recognise grades from other systems?...for example, other than Master Rey Galang, nobody can authorise me to teach Bakbakan Kali Ilustrisimo, or other than Grandmaster Yuli Romo, nobody can authorise me to teach bahad Zu'Bu Mang'Taas Baraw, so if international members of these two respected groups join the 'new' organisation, they have no benefits at all!!!

If this new organisation does have the authority to recognise grades from 'ALL' sytems, where does that authority come from?

Why is everything about this new organisation so secret?...If there is so much to offer, then be open and share it with the world, otherwise it will never be a 'world' organisation.

Why have the majority of the most senior FMA instructors from many styles in the UK not yet received an invitation to join the WKEAO?...I am already a member of three global organisations, but if there is 'really' something to benefit me, and my students, then I would like to know more. Come on guys...be open and honest about it...unless of course, your motives are purely commercial and political???

Gumagalang

Peter

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  8. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Guba DP Newsletter

Hi Peter,

Here is the newsletter I have just received, it may help to enlighten somewhat:

Subject: Danny Guba Doce Pares Newsletter - May 2007

Danny Guba Doce Pares Newsletter
    May 2007

Danny Guba Doce Pares
    Original Multi Style System

Mabuhay!

As this is our first newsletter, this will be quite a long one. Apologies for the length, but we're pretty sure that you will find the information useful.

What is Eskrima?
    What is Doce Pares?
    Classes and venues
    Gradings, Membership and Insurance
    Activities, News and Events (including Seminars and Workshops)
    Instructor Ermar "Alex" Alexander
    Message from Grand Master Danny Guba

What is Eskrima?

Eskrima, also known as Arnis or Kali, is an indigeneous Filipino Martial Art which deals with weapons like sticks (single and double), daggers (blades), espada y daga (sword and dagger) and empty hands (kicking, punching, grappling, throws, etc) - the Filipino way. It is a complete system by itself.

What is Doce Pares?

Doce Pares, as very few perhaps know, does not refer to one particular style. It is in reality an assemblage of various styles. Styles that were brought and introduced into the organization by the founding masters in 1932. To the credit of the leaders of the organization, these diverse and often contrasting styles and skills were all successfully integrated and passed on to the next generation of Doce Pares adherents. The following styles each comprise a portion of the group's training curriculum:

The Close range style (corto) of Lorenzo and Teodoro Saavendra
    The Medium range style of Jesus Cui
    The Espada y Daga and Corto Orihinal style of Felimon Canete
    The Long Range style of Yoling Canete and Vincent Carin
    In the later years, the Corto style of Ciriaco Canete and "Pangamut" of Maximo Canete.

Classes and venues

1. Chatham, Kent

2007 will be a fruitful and busy year for DG Doce Pares. Classes have just begun in Fitness First Chatham last 10th March. A demo was held on 3rd March where a good dozen of spectators came to see what Doce Pares is all about. They also had the chance to get a taste of the basics taught by GM Danny Guba himself. Classes in this venue is every Fridays at 7pm.

2. Shepherds Bush, London

Over thirty people attended a DG Doce Pares demo on Saturday, 14th April at 7pm at Fitness First Shepherds Bush. GM Danny Guba, Ermar Alexander, Jim Smith and Kevin Angeles showed spectators a glimpse of what eskrima is about. Regular classes run on Saturdays at 6pm. (There is also a Filipino club not far from the gym... it's always good to unwind after an evening of training...)

3. Central London

We are opening a new class sometime this month in the Central London area (probably around Covent Garden). We will send you the details once this has been finalized. Once again, a demo will be held with the presence of GM Danny Guba. We'll keep you posted!

4. Private training

Private tuition and group sessions are also available. Please contact info@dgdocepares.co.uk for further info.

Gradings, Membership and Insurance

We have received a couple of messages from people who say that they are not interested in belts and ranks and simply want to learn about the art. Good! You've got the passion and the heart.

But with Doce Pares, it is a requirement for one to go through grading as each student is taught the full curriculum and tested during grading periods. The instructors are very traditional, and the grading is just to gauge if you have learned what you are supposed to learn at your level. The instructors are very concerned for each person's development. Through gradings, the instructors will also be able to see how you are progressing and if you need a little bit more of pushing or not. (Constantly getting pushed harder is more of the case. hehe)

And as for the Membership fee of £55, this includes annual insurance, as one will need this because of the dangers and risks that come along being a martial artist. (Especially that we particularly train with swords, sticks and daggers.) This will also be used for administration, website and newsletter costs.

Doce Pares is not after your money (we just need it to pay the studio/hall rental!!). The primary concern is for you to learn this art the right way.

You have about a month to decide whether you want to continue training with us and be a member or not. Hence we won't be hassling you till then. You'd have to try and see first if you like the system. If you would like to continue, you would have to be graded. It's like being in school, you cant graduate from University without going through your A-levels first. :) Learning is a step by step process... so is learning Filipino Martial Arts.

Activities, News and Events

Northampton Open Championships

Instructor Ermar 'Alex' Alexander bagged two gold medals at the WEKAF Open Championships held in Northampton on Sunday, 4th March. He won the Forms/Sayaw Division and the Double Stick sparring light-heavyweight Division. He is now training for the European Championships to be held in Italy this July.

19-20 May, Saturday-Sunday 10am-6pm - Seni Show 2007 - The Combat Sports Show. Excel, London.

9th-10th June, Saturday-Sunday 10am-5pm - Doce Pares with Master Val Pableo. Kent.

14th-15th July, Saturday-Sunday 10am-4pm - British FMA Festival. Kent.

14th-15th July, Saturday-Sunday 10am-5pm - All day FMA Demo at the Annual Filipino Barrio Fiesta. Lampton Park, Hounslow, Middlesex.

30th December - Doce Pares International 75th Anniversary. Cebu, Philippines.

Instructor Ermar 'Alex' Alexander

Ermar Alexander began his Doce Pares training in 1999 with GM Danny Guba. Through the years, he has progressed and eventually became a member of the British Team - being the only Filipino. Within the 7 years of competing, he has won multitudes of Form/Sayaw and Sparring tournaments (2000-2007). He is a 2x WEKAF World Champion (2004 & 2006), a Doce Pares World Champion (2005) and a 3x undefeated British Low Armour Champion (2004, 2005 & 2006). He has been voted the best WEKAF male fighter in 2005 & 2006. Ermar now dreams of expanding GM Danny Guba's Doce Pares system in and around the UK and Europe.

Message from Grand Master Danny Guba

Hello to everybody! To learn Doce Pares Multi Style System you must be open minded, especially with the Danny Guba style. You may learn and get a technique within 3 minutes, but it takes a lifetime to master it. My style is the Doce Pares Original Multi Style System, which consists of San Miguel of Grand Master Fillimon "Momoy" Cañete, Close Quarter of Grand Master Ciriaco "Cacoy" Cañete, Grand Master Inting Carin, Grand Master Bonifacio "Loloy" Uy, and last but not the least, the best among the best, Atty. Grand Master Dionisio "Syong" Cañete. DAC! Not to forget, my sparring partner, Master Percival "Val" Pableo. New classes are opening around London and Kent by one of my senior students, Ermar Alexander. If you have never tried eskrima, why don't you try one of our classes. Maayong adlaw sa inyong tanan! (Have a good day to you all!)

We hope you found these information useful. And we'd love to see you in Fitness First Chatham on Fridays 7pm, in Fitness First Shepherd's Bush on Saturdays 6pm, and on the upcoming demo this month which we will notify you of. If you have any queries, please send us an email at info@dgdocepares.co.uk

Daghang salamat!

Danny Guba Doce Pares
    Original Multi Style System

Web: www.dgdocepares.co.uk
    Email: info@dgdocepares.co.uk

UK & Europe Headquarters
    The Old Courthouse
    1 The Paddock
    Chatham
    Kent ME4 4RE

9. Peter Lewis

Hi Bill

Thanks for the information...I did actually receive this yesterday, but it does not mention the new WKEAO!!!

I am intrigued by one part of this newsletter. The part about 'grade requirements' and 'traditional instructors.' The belt or grade system is not that old. It was introduced by Jigoro Kano to Judo in around 1907 and subsequently spread to other arts. Prior to that, people were students or teachers. Even in the Philippines, it is not a tradition to insist on taking grades, but rather than being forced, the instructor would simply tell the student that they are ready to teach. regular gradings (often demanded) do not motivate participants in the long term, but they do guarantee the commercially minded instructor a regular source of income!

Let's hope that someone will soon start to answer the real questions being raised about the new WKEAO and benefits to all FMA practitioners and not purely the current GDP Organisation.

Thanks again Bill. Take care and see you soon.

All the best

Peter

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Not quite, there's no free advertising allowed.

11. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Looks like one big advertisment to me. Slippery these new posters. :ban:

Gary

12. Lucy O'Malley

I can actually clarify on this....the newsletter that we have been provided with is in fact Ermar Alexanders (one of GM Danny's student an instructor in GDP), he sent it out about 2 days ago promoting the openings of his new clubs :topic: .

No matter how many times I read it, I cannot see any reference to the new World Organisation that GM Danny is heading up.

Seems as though this thread is just turning into one big advertisement for GDP and not at all for the World Organisation that we still know very little about.

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

This is good information if you were just starting. Or not already in an org.
    But it is more like an advertisment...Which has been mentioned.
    So who started the thread and why?
    Hmmmm

What is Eskrima?

Eskrima, also known as Arnis or Kali, is an indigeneous Filipino Martial Art which deals with weapons like sticks (single and double), daggers (blades), espada y daga (sword and dagger) and empty hands (kicking, punching, grappling, throws, etc) - the Filipino way. It is a complete system by itself.

What is Doce Pares?

Doce Pares, as very few perhaps know, does not refer to one particular style. It is in reality an assemblage of various styles. Styles that were brought and introduced into the organization by the founding masters in 1932. To the credit of the leaders of the organization, these diverse and often contrasting styles and skills were all successfully integrated and passed on to the next generation of Doce Pares adherents. The following styles each comprise a portion of the group's training curriculum:

The Close range style (corto) of Lorenzo and Teodoro Saavendra
    The Medium range style of Jesus Cui
    The Espada y Daga and Corto Orihinal style of Felimon Canete
    The Long Range style of Yoling Canete and Vincent Carin
    In the later years, the Corto style of Ciriaco Canete and "Pangamut" of
    Maximo Canete.

http://www.doceparesinternational.com/

This is good stuff also IMHO...Clickable links are in gold, Hmmmm

14. reydominguez

reydominguez Valued Member

Just for a breaker....my friends....everybody deserves a recognition and praises.....and here in PI and the PCKEAM as a whole dont want these things happen .....anyone has its own way of getting it secondarilly in promoting the FMA.....We want to erase and set a new mileage (example)by working hand and hand with differernt styles and systems here for a good promotion and a world class interpretation of the art....traditional, classical, new generation approach, sports....unbiased and non partisan.....no one is better than the other....AMEN......FMA is what we hail.....
    PEACE

15. Peter Lewis

Hi Guro Rey

Very nicely worded. The FMA world is changing and people are actually sincere in their efforts to work together with other instructors and practitioners, simply to promote all and any system on an equal basis. This is the way ahead and a new era, but perhaps there will always be those who are unable to share this vision, especially if they perceive it as giving no financial reward or that they may no longer be seen as 'top dog.' Those individuals are in the minority and have, perhaps not yet developed a sence of peace within themselves.

Good luck to all

Gumagalang

Peter

16. Lucy O'Malley

I know this is off topic but I just noticed this so thought I should correct it.....Ermar is in fact at least the 3rd Filipino to have fought on the British team.

One of them actually won a world title in Cebu, Philippines for the 1998 WEKAF Championships and went on to win a European title in 1999 beating my husband in the final. There was a Filipino girl that I know competed internationally from 1999 onwards (I do not know if she is still there, but was 2 years ago at the same time as Ermar) and she has won several British and European titles that I know of.

These are the two I know of that I trained and fought along side during my international experience with WEKAF from 1997-2001 which I won 3 WEKAF world titles and 5 European titles. So I also know he was not on the British team in 2000 or 2001.

But none the less he is a very good fighter now. I think he has his dates mixed up though.

I wish GM Danny the best of luck with his new organisation, but it would be nice to know it's aims and objectives, rules and regulations as at the moment they do not seem clear.

The British Council supports any organisation, group or individual even if they are not part of the British council, as long as they are promoting the FMA as a whole in a good light and unbiased manner.

17. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

This whole thread is obviously one side against the other and still talking about unity.
    Unity is a dream by many, some said... "I have a dream" and others said you are wrong.

The Philippines is known for tribal problems, it will be that way until the end of time, it appears. The ones who move away try different, but it is still that way. Look at this thread, nothing but a guise.

The brothers and family have had a hold on Doce Pares for a long time, some want that power and others don't want to relinquish. Simple really.

Some don't want women in the organizations, other do not seem to be opposed. Funny how these things just mirror life.

Gary

18. Lucy O'Malley

What people do not seem to realise the British Council are trying to get recognition for FMA as a whole and not just for one group. We are trying to get government recognition for all styles, in the event that there is a restriction on who is allowed to teach what martial art, as is commonly happening accross the globe.

Already people in the UK are having trouble getting hall space because FMA is not recognised as an art or sport by the government, so it will not be long before we are all told we are not allowed to teach or used weapons. At the moment TKD instructors can use public facilities to teach weapons and even FMA but a strict FMA'er cannot in many places.

Without unity, we will never get recognised by the government and eventually, if the government have their way, we will have to teach under ground or not at all.

This is the bigger picture that members of the British Council and other councils around the world can see. It is absolutely nothing to do with whether one style is better than the other. I cannot see why it would be difficult for anyone to get together as a group once a year to promote the FMA as a whole.

Other wise I could just as easily go off on a selfish mission and get recognition for Lucy O'Malley 'The Mother Art' and no-one else and eventually one day you will all have to come through me for legalities of permission to teach or own an FMA weapon.

I can see the bigger Picture and so can the other members of the British Council who at the end of the day do the styles they do because they believe it to be the best. But it does not make another style any worse and luckily we can all see it and we all agree no matter what style we do, FMA as a whole is great and everyone has something to offer.

We deserve recognition the same way Judo, Aikido, Karate, Kung Fu, Muay Thai and even Silat have with the government, we are after all a main stream martial art in the UK now, every body is doing it in one shape or form.

19. Peter Lewis

Just adding to Lucy's post, for the benefit of any non-UK residents (and UK ones that don't know / don't want to know):

I have encountered venue problems, even with 34 years MA experience and having the acknowledgement of other instructors using the same venue as being considerably senior to them. These venues managers ask "Do you belong to a Governing Body for Martial Arts?' If your answer is 'no' that was the end of all opportunities to teach there. The number of these venues is growing.

Currently (May, 2007), the UK Government (via the Sports Council) ONLY recognise the following martial arts as 'sporting activities':

Aikido
    Boxing
    Chinese Martial Arts
    Judo
    Jiu Jitsu
    Karate
    Kendo
    Tae Kwon Do
    Tang Soo Do

No other martial arts have sporting recognition.

Only after a martial art has UK Government recognition as a 'sporting activity,' can that art apply for 'Governing Body Status.' Without the 'Sporting activity' recognition, there is, and can be NO Governing Body. The entire process can take many years to complete...if it gets that far.

This is a major reason for the FREE membership and unification of the majority of FMA systems within the UK under the banner of the BCKEAI. It is only through hard work and sincerity in supporting all systems of FMA that we have any chance of even gaining sporting recognition.

As Lucy has stated, most of us can see way beyond the system / ego differences and are working extremely hard for the benefit of ALL.

These facts can easily be verified or clarified by contacting the appropriate organisations.

Gumagalang

Peter

20. Ermar Alexander

Ermar Alexander New Member

I don't think I've mentioned that I was the only Filipino in British Team history. I've only been the only Filipino who's been in the team for the past few couple of years, competing in all categories every time. It gets a little bit lonely there. :)

I'm quite glad now that there's another Filipino guy, from Kapatiran Arnis, who has just joined the British Team. My mission as a Filipino is to get more native players into the team, since it is a Filipino Martial Art.

Lucy is right, I didn't start competing at WEKAF til 2002. But I have started joining competitions since 2000 at the BEF. Sorry about the confusion.

We were invited to the WEKAF, not because we won medals, but because of our fighting style which was totally different from all others.

On the other hand, whether through the BKEAI or WKEAO or not, regardless of any eskrima organizations in existence, I am now personally pushing FMA to the Filipino Community, as not many Filipinos know how big the Eskrima community here in UK is. If you look at the German Filipino Embassy website, they promote their FMA news and events all the time. But if you look at the British Filipino Embassy, there is not a word about it as if it doesn't exist. I hope we work hand in hand, and forget about the politics in FMA.

Peace to you all!
    Ermar Alexander

Last edited: May 7, 2007