world jiu jitsu federation

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Gripfighter, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I have recently started training with a club registered with the wjjf the sensei is very reputable however I have read some things about the wjjf that make me question weather I should continue training with the club a post from 2008 on the ultimate jiu jitsu Website (I cant get the link to work) asking why the wjjfs founder Robert Clarke is not given more recognition (something I too had noticed) is particularly worrying with many people replying that he had been discredited by many in MA circles because of fraud allegations and other things like that. if people could give me there opinions of the wjjf it would be appreciated.

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Personally I would look for something elsewhere. I used to train with a WJJF group when I was in secondary school. In retrospect I would say that the stuff I was learning there was next to useless. That's my honest opinion.

Robert Clarke's suspect credentials aside, I dont think much of their syllabus or training methodologies for cultivating viable fighting ability at all. Clubs will vary though, why not post a website for the club your interested in?

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

thanks for the info . I tried my computers not letting me post the link. its coatbridge jiu jitsu if anyone knows it

4. righty

righty Valued Member

Hmm the WJJF website says you can grade to black belt by correspondence (video and book instruction).

and

"At the World Ju Jitsu Federation we know everything there is to know on the subject of Ju Jitsu - from the history, traditions and philosophies of the ancient martial art, to every aspect of its practice" hmmm

Saying that, your club could just be loosely affiliated with them for convenience. One can't really tell the actual quality of the instruction you are getting from here.

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You can also ask why Hontai Yoshin-ryu will have absolutely nothing to do with him anymore.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. Killa_Gorillas

If memory serves me correctly Hontai Yoshin Ryu is the name of the koryu school that Clarke claimed to train with and upon which the WJJF is alledged to be based... I imagine this is untrue hence the severing of ties?

Clarke is a reported fraud. It was in the U.K press a while ago... something to do with taking insurance money I believe.

9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

http://www.planetjitsu.com/viewtopic.php?t=16527&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

some of the stuff said in that forum is quiet interesting and makes me worry more. its a long post that goes of topic after a while but some of the stuff said about the wjjf's syllabus in the first few pages doesn't sound to good and many of the more experienced martial arts practitioners who have posted on it don't sound to fond of the wjjf but none of them state who actually does the gradings for the clubs they are part of

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

My son's old school was part of it and he started laughing when I read him your post. the WJJF is a joke, get out while you can.

11. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

lol thanks for the advice

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Interesting then. I remember reading somewhere that 99% or so of JuJutsu in the UK was either WJJF or The Jitsu Foundation. So is there really any hope?

13. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yep, the latter ;)

15. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Leave the politics out of it ....do you enjoy the training ?

If yes crack on and enjoy ...

If not move on

regards

Smurf

16. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

17. Killa_Gorillas

the judo and thai boxing you mentioned are gonna be your best bets if you can make it to training. I'd sack the JJJ off entirely, the judo will be 100% more useful.

18. Alansmurf

What is real ?

Are you learning viable techniques ?

Your call ..

If you randori / spar and are sweating your ass off at end of class....then stay

Smurf

19. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

well I do spar with an mma class every so often and its pretty clear to me that alot of the moves are not possible to do in active combat. I was putting this down to the fact that I am relativity new to the training but after further study I'm not so sure. The club does sparring at one session a week but they do not let beginners attend so I don't know exactly what it involves

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  20. Alansmurf

sparring and jujitsu are difficult to do ...

elbow strikes for entry to throws are very difficult to do in sparring ..

eye gouges , hair throws , strikes to throat and groin ..

as stated your call ..

Smurf