Word-fu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Hayseed, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

It's becoming increasingly apparent that, to have any kind of decent discussion here, we're going to have to change the way we go about having them. Kind of a soapbox moment here so bear with me. Here are a couple of techniques for Ninjas and Nonjas alike to use for the betterment of all discussion here on MAP.

1. You are not smarter than everyone else.(Even if you are :D ) Please make an effort to understand that, just because someone doesn't know as much as you, doesn't mean that they're not as intelligent as you, or that their opinions hold less value.(I'm guilty of this on several occasions and to those that I've posted to in this way, I am truly sorry.)

2. No matter how much you disagree with someone, try to find at least one thing, no matter how small, that you can agree with them on, and then reference that specifically first thing in your reply. If you do this very simple little thing, you'll be amazed at how much less of an "us vs them" stigma you'll encounter.

3. We're not here to "convert" eachother. The study of Martial Arts is an intensly personal journey, those on a certain path, have chosen that for a reason, please try to stay respectful and not make attempts to try and set that path for them.

4. Spelling and grammatical errors aren't a personal insult. Please try to understand that others may not be as knowledgable as you, and instead of attacking them for it(even if it's intended to be a playful jab), try to use that opportunity to help them in a respectful and serious tone.

5. If you start with the intention of helping, try not to let your intentions run askew. If someone asks for an explanation of a certain thing and you make an attempt, try to be as clear and upfront as possible, if they still don't understand, even if they think what you've posted is laughable, try not to take offense, and say something like;"That's my fault, I'll try to explain it better.", and make another attempt. If that person makes an off color remark, try to take it in stride and maybe even compliment them on their comedy stylings :D There's nothing wrong with having a laugh, as long as you can handle being laughed at.

We study arts of combat, a mentality which transfers smoothly to debate, but the next time you find yourself engaging in "Word-fu", try to think about whether your next post will be a positive one, or a negative. To win at Word-fu is to alienate another, and I'm sure that's not the reason most have joined this discussion "group".

In closing, thanks for taking the time to read this, and if anyone has any other pointers for "social lubrication", I'd love to see them.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Thats so stupid. I dont need you to tell me how to act in a forum. I can have spelling mistakes if I want to. And I can make fun of who i want.

no jk good post.

3. deivu

deivu Valued Member

Good post Hayseed. i tell you I have tried to be respectful but sometimes people just **** me off. Anyway ice post post man.

4. MacWombat

MacWombat Valued Member

While I like your use of nonjas the rest of your post sucks.

Just kidding.

5. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

Just thought this deserved a bit more attention and consideration.

Next time you're about to engage in 'word-fu', take a second to think what your intentions are, and if your post reflects that.

All any of us have to judge each other on is our posts (with the exception of those of us who know each other 'offline'). A common response is "I don't care what anyone thinks on here, it's only the net", which was a valid point years ago, but the internet is evolving and our activities 'online' are effecting our lives 'offline' more and more.

I for one would rather take care in my posts than put across the wrong impression of myself. You never know who you'll bump into tomorrow.
    It's easy to throw your dummy when online, but I seriously doubt many of you would act the same way face to face.

6. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

Your opinion on this issue sucks

That's great. Now say something I agree with

I don't know about anyone else, but I sure as heck am here to convert people. Blasphemers beware!

If you can't spell, don't try to engage in a discussion via text!

NOBODY MAKES FUN OF ME! I will SMASH them with my observational humor and CUT THROUGH THEM with my scathing wit!

You're just sour because you lose at teh interwebz!

....for those who may not know, this post was in jest :)

7. Victoria

It took me half the post to realise that, until then I just thought "KF at it again the <bleep>!"

:D

8. KempoFist

Glad to have raised your blood pressure :)

9. I'mKira

I'mKira Banned Banned

You don't help our cause by being terribly, terrily unfunny, KF.

10. Victoria

Don't flatter yourself :D

Although, your very presence in this section is enough to raise some members' blood pressure :p

Anyway, off topic :topic:

11. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I try to think like this:

If I saw a bear on my propertyyy, and didn't want it there (which I would cause I like bears, I think they are gentle and majestic creatures) I certainly wouldn't feed it so that it has a reason to stay around, even though I would be tempted too...

Wait, that was a bad example...

Ehm...

Never mind. In conclusion: Don't feed the trolls! :)

It sounds pretty simple, but I know myself how hard it is. You see someone writing something insulting, you want to react. But by doing so you are giving those people a reason to stay around, and ruining the thread.

I try to ignore stuff like that too aviod conflict when I'm online, cause it's pretty pointless. But it's hard to remind yourself. One troll writing, and one member responding is enough to ruin a thread, and we certainly don't need more of that in this forum. It almost seems like many people have given up discussing our art here, and just come here for entertainment. I think this is a big part of the issue here.

P.S Im not saying that all "Nonjers" are trolls, most aren't. Some appear to be trolls, but in reality they just adapt to the general level you see on these forums.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  12. KempoFist

Oh I've seen how some of you conduct yourselves in here in spreading your "cause." Me 7 months ago, at my most sarcastic and jaded did a better job making a point.

13. Hayseed

Hayseed Thread Killer

When I posted this
    What I meant was this.
    Thnx V