wondering...

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Xav, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Xav

Xav Valued Member

I just had my first aikido class, really enjoyed it

1 question though, I got the feeling aikido is not very effective in streetfights.

For example atemi (MIGHT BE WRONG NAME) where the opponent grabs your wrist than u grab his wrist with other hand and "push" him backwards on ground (I know it's badly explained): how often will people actually grab your wrists in street fights?!

This is just my first impression! Can anybody give me some input?
    Thanks

2. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Oh dear - do you normally judge a martial art on the basis of one technique? Go to Yutube.com and see some real experts at work.

Aikido involves many strikes (punches, kicks etc from which we learn defensive techniques. Some of them are applicable to 'street' fights.

Beginners are often taught a few basic moves from a hand grasp as it is the easiest way into the art. Take a look at the 'Martial Art of Aikido - Atemi' thread and you will pick up lots of useful tips about realk Aikido.

As to kick-**** street moves - that's for you to judge, but not as a beginner. Any MA which offers a 'fast track' or 'quick results' will deliver rubbish. It takes a long time to be good at any MA. Street application is more about your own mental state than the specific art you study. 10 years of an effective MA is a good start - you may not get killed but you will probably still get cut or bruised..

Each style of Aikido is different, but I can vouch for the fact that Yoshinkan is used by the Tokyo Riot Police, contains many defences against knife and weapon attacks as well as unarmed, and has proved its worth time and time again on the street.

3. Xav

Xav Valued Member

I said it was my FIRST IMPRESSION, never judged it.
    You're right it's normal I start with basics lol

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

It's probably not the most common attack you'll come across in life. But one or two posts made here in the past have described that particular situation. If you want to read them you can do a search. Koyo has also explained the origins of this type of technique before. At least I think he did.

All that aside however is the present day these techniques are generally used to introduce students to Aikido techniques and more importantly the principals that allow those techniques to work in the first place.

As far as Aikido in a street fight goes, in my opinion it's the principle behind the techniques that matters. Aikido doesn't have an ABC approach to self defence where we have a technique for every kick and puch we might have to face. In that respect it is a system that is wide open to interpritation and experimentation which allows for limitless possibilities. Excluding levitation of course :p

5. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Wrist grabbing - katatedori is simply a means of connection - musubi, it allows the basis of techniques or principles - gensoku to be developed.

In general terms katatedori isn't an "attack" in the true sense, it’s a means of training (one of many) and not much else although from a classical point of view they had more relevance when the carrying of weapons was common place in Japan.

6. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Still, it's useful to know how to shake off police or other enforcement officers who may grab you.

Trouble is, some police and even prison officers have been known to study Aikido too..... ;)

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

:Alien: Who ever do you mean mate :p