Women in the FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Pat OMalley, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I have been asked this question many times over the years and have even posted this on another forum many years ago, It cause a lot of heated discussions but what the hell, here we go again.

Do you think that the woman in the FMA should be treated any different than the men when it comes to testing their skills and do you think that a male and a female of equal skill can and should sparr their skills in order to test each other.
    Do you also feel that when it comes to events such as the WEKAF world championships that their should be na event were the males and females compete on an equal standing?

I leave it open to you, I will pop back later after the wife gives me a dam good stick bashing for asking this question again. ;)

Mabuhay

Pat.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Do males and females compete on an equal standing in any other MA?

3. Pat OMalley

Maybe not, but does that mean they should not, also bearing in mind that many in the FMA beleive that the weapon becomes an equaliser against an opponent should it not also be true that the weapon should also become an equaliser against the gender and therefore should not both males and females compete on an equal standing in FMA competition if it is true that the weapon becomes an equaliser that is? :confused:

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Without sounding too sexist, and yes, I know that it''s the 21st century. But, women are still the 'fairer sex'. Admittedly, the gap is closing. However there is still a gap.

Oh my God! What did I just say? :eek:

5. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

See the "can a woman beat a man" thread - same type of deal.

6. Pat OMalley

where abouts on the forum is that then, I would like to see that.

7. Pat OMalley

Oooooh I hope you do martial arts.

No really, I feel when it comes to the FMA women can stand side by side with men.

When I teach my female stidents I expect the same from them as from everyone.

8. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I just think that there is a flaw somewhere in your reasoning.

10. Tika

Tika New Member

Weight classes would be tough if you combined men and women.... Women tend to have higher body fat percentages, and can be a lot shorter and not as strong as men of the same weight....I think.....

In training and testing I dont see a problem with partnering men with women, but in competition, I don think its 'fair'.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Thanks Tika,

That's the flaw I was thinking about above. :)

12. Tika

Tika New Member

Anytime Johnny.... ;)

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hi there Pat ... I do hope your wife didn't bash you up too badly! ;)

Since I am unfamiliar with the World Eskrima Kali Arnis Federation's rules for tournament I looked them up ---> http://www.bandalan.com/wekafrules.htm#Divisions

You'll notice of course that weight classes are indeed different as with other ma tournies but age divisions are the same for both

Seems pretty fair to me as it should be. :)

14. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Women can't compete against men on and "equal basis", such as you would have in a sporting tournament and expect to win. You need muscle for speed and power, and pound for pound, women just don't have as much as men. I could be wrong. How have women fared against men in fencing? which is a weapons sport and definitely more finesse oriented. Take it a step further, how have women done against men in a sport like target shooting? This doesn't need speed or strength at all, bur rather hand-eye co-ordination. Does a man's supposed superior sense of spacial awareness carry over as an advantage for this?

So, to answer your question, yes, I'd have the women spar against men, to improve them as martial artists. But I'd be really surprized if any of them actually dominated a male partner intent on winning.

15. Tika

Tika New Member

Dont be too surprised. When I was competing in World Oyama Karate tournaments I always got sent to the guys group, because there were not any females in my rank or age group, and I never finished worse then second place. I admit that there is major disparity... but be carefull not to generalize.

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

And I thought that women naturally have better hand eye coordination :D :woo:

17. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

This is a somewhat controversial topic and one that's fraught with danger so here goes..

*puts on flamesuit

I think that men and women can compete in FMA and any other sport activity that requires strength and power would be if the competition events are organized according to weight classes.

Although Tika1980 has a point about women having higher body fat percentage than men, I think this difference can be wittled down to insignificance by proper training. Not that women don't train properly; I mean it's entirely possible to train specifically to tip the fat percentages.

* keeps flamesuit on, just in case

18. Pat OMalley

Mmmm, intersting responces, But with most I beg to differ and do this from expeariance.
    In the early days of FMA competition in Britain and Europe, their were not enough women participating to warrent a female division so the women competed on an equal level to great success.
    For instance, a 13 year old girl entered the lightweight division at the WEKAF British championships back in 1994 and won 2nd place against the Men. This was all down to the fact that she had more skil and determination than the men and even at the tender age of 13 she wanted to rpove a point.

Another example is my wife (the boss) she is the only female mamber of the Black Eagle Society (akin to the Dog Brothers) and she quite happily holds her own against the guys, most of who are much bigger and weigh a lot more. As a matter of fact at one meeting she managed to break my nose and two teeth. The bout went the full 3 minutes and I was is much pain.
    (I still dont understand why I married her after that?) Only joking my dear.

I am a firm beleiver in that fact that FMA with its weapons base can and does make the practitioner rely soley on skill and technique as opposed to strength as in som other MA systems, the weapon if used correctly with skill and knowldge can and does pay no head to size, weight or gender, I have expearianced this first hand and I train my women the same as I train my men.

So much so when they are testing for their instructor grades they have to fight them men and women on an equal basis showing that skill and determination can far out weigh size and gender. By the way they are expected to fight with no rules, limited armour with the weapons and no armour or protection in the empty hand combat.

I may be wrong, but from personal expeariance so far I feel I am right.

Mabuhay

Pat :Angel:

19. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Take a sport that's pure co-ordination with litte power adavantage - billiards or pool - the top 100 men can beat the best woman.

20. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

You probably married because you knew you would be well-protected with her around! :D :D

But seriously, I have study arnis for a bit and have done a fair share of sparring with sticks. I have seen very pathetic women and very pathetic men get the tar beaten out of them and I have seen women just go to town on very skilled and accomplished men. I do think FMA levels the playing field somewhat when it comes to MA precisely because of the weapons aspect.

I think what is comes down to in FMA is intent and determination. When I spar with sticks (and I suck, believe me) sometimes I can win purely because I go in there not thinking "on no, I am just a girl and they are all so much bigger and stronger than I am" as I sometimes do in a karate sparring match or in my BJJ class. When I have a stick, or two (better! :) ) in my hand I feel that I am playing on par with the guys. Speed, skill and determination make far more difference in this kind of exercise than height, weight and brute strength.

Again, I am no expert, just my experience. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.