Woman gets beaten in her own home by burglar

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

That's ok, no one has to believe it. I just do things the way I see fit and that's that.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Sorry for the long winded post, but there was a lot to address.

This is why I have a large, well-trained dog just in case.

Why would he disapprove?

Nanny cameras aren't uncommon. It's basically a hidden camera to make sure whoever is watching your kids isn't throttling them.

Or, while kicking your butt, he finds it and takes it for himself. Can go either way.

Not very common at all. Most are related to the occupants inside being involved in unsavory activities much like what you stated.

If he has the gun pointed at someone else and you run, it's going to be a lot harder for him to stop you. If you run out of the house, most likely he will leave immediately after as he's not going to wait for the police. And that's the point. If you allow yourself to be held captive by an individual, you and your family's chances of surviving starts dwindling. If you retreat while you still have the chance, do you really think he's going to stick around?

Better a quick death than a long, torturous, slow one.

What's to stop him from just plugging you during this standoff? You can't really return fire without hitting your wife.

If all he wants is cash and you don't comply, he's most likely going to beat feet and try to find an easier target. Why would he waste time killing people if all he wants is cash?

You'd be surprised. A lot of military and law enforcement on here.

Yep. There's a US law enforcement officer by the name of Peter Soulis who was shot at during a traffic stop. He shot his attacker 22 times (17 center mass) with his Glock .40 caliber handgun loaded with hollow point ammunition. The bad guy survived for more than 4 minutes after the last round was fired. No drugs or alcohol in his system. You can do a lot in 4 minutes.

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Please take this with utmost sincerity;

A belief or faith into something can be both, a positive or a negative.

I am not going to even go to length about the morality per reasoning of shooting and/or killing someone, especially in a religious perspective. All I can say is that people often misconstrue certain religious groups as pacifist, whereas, all followers of that particular, should never be under one categorical microscope.

As I had stated, since my youth until now, I have been exposed to many environmental and residential changes, that this adds up to experience-to a degree. Thus, the cultural changes through these decades are reflected upon what I have been exposed to. Hence, my view:

Knives were the weapons of choice in the streets long ago by youths. Simply, a gun could be obtained, but youth groups did not desire to be caught with a gun. Basically, law enforcement would simply take a knife away whereas a gun would surely land you in a youth jail-containment along with a record. The notion of this made most youths opt for a knife. And the switch-blades were the le' creme.

The culture started to change for the youth, as a gun was more sought after and deemed as a better method of power. The consequences of being caught with one started to not be a concern, as many metropolitan juvenile containment facilities were having a “revolving door” concept, as part of overcrowding.

With this upsurge in firearm activity, along with the same upsurge of juvenile mass shootings, citizens sought after higher protection.

The cultural trend did not only reflect firearm activity, but also in canine selection. Back then; the German Shepard was sought after, because of law enforcement ownership. Then, an up surge for the Doberman, then an upsurge of the Rottweiler, now, currently, Pit Bull Terriers.

The idea of having the most aggressive or powerful canine or firearm (caliber and ammo) was to replace common sense approaches to protection. Moreover, people were getting these just to be following a trend, rather understanding the need or the approach.

To have a canine of this breed, a firearm with the largest caliber, degree of injury (i.e., HP), or even large capacity magazines, seem to over exemplify the approach feeding off a trend frenzy, rather a logical understanding.

If anyone should believe they need these over-exemplified means, then perhaps they should re-examine their environment, residency, and mental capacity in the most logical conclusion. For certainty, if they do this, the approach will change.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Forgot to add this video just in case anyone is really interested on how gunshot wounds actually work and affect the body depending on caliber and the type of weapon used.

Definitely NSFW or the squeamish.

MOD note: I've put the video in a spoiler, so please be warned about the content before you open.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA"]9mm vs .45 vs Rifle A Dr's View of Gunshot Wounds (graphic photos) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2013
  5. 47MartialMan

Having "both worlds"

[​IMG]

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Thanks for the spoiler tag Simon, I always forget how to do that.

7. Saved_in_Blood

That was my very first gun SA .45 XD-M. minus the knife.

8. 47MartialMan

I've seen these knife to rail before. I could never fully understand the reasoning

9. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Something like these I could see the point in, back in their day...

Attached Files:

10. 47MartialMan

Yes. Others on the receiving end, could feel "the point"

But, on a modern automatic?

If you ran out of ammo and needed knife at that ready, either you are a poor shot, or you were shooting zombies or monsters.

11. Saved_in_Blood

I don't know either... I had a streamlight on mine. It was such a comfortable gun to shoot though. My HK is top notch as far as comfort, but the SA XD series are VERY underrated IMO.

12. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Always a possibility, I suppose..:)

But, you are right on a modern gun, it is pretty goofy.

I am very old school in my tastes in firearms however. In the last 2 years, I can say that most of my favorite designs are 100 years old...

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Zombies are always a distinct possibility.

14. righty

righty Valued Member

But what if a zombie had your wife?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  15. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I'd feel sorry for the zombie. Mrs. Kuma is far scarier than Mr. Kuma.

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

17. 47MartialMan

Thanks for the update.

I'm glad he was caught.

But I would like to read more of the story:

Like, where did the victim reside?

Is she a single parent?

How was she targeted?

A Predator usually selects the victim paramount for the crime to be successful.

Last, how is the emotional trauma on the child? In other words, is the child under psychological care?

18. shootodog

shootodog restless native

we'll have to wait until they get it out of him.

19. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Have you learned anything from this thread? You ALWAYS shoot the hostage.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2hLQv6WeY"]Speed - Pop Quiz Hotshot Clip - YouTube[/ame]

20. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Let's be honest - in the case of most people zombies are the more likely possible scenario where you'd require a gun.