Woman gets beaten in her own home by burglar

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It was of those "nanny cams" I believe - and CCTV on home monitoring is very common anyway these days

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Why is it that anyone (many of), having, owning, carrying a firearm believe that it is a "force field/shield" to "prevent" them from being harmed, stabbed, or shot? :(

3. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Bible quote from annoying atheist (me):

"And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one" Luke 22:37

See, Jesus wanted you to be packing...

4. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Because there are a great many people that really have no idea how to use a firearm, or what it's actually good for. They just like the idea of having lethal force available, and don't really understand it.

I have no interest in watching the video, but from the description, it really advocates owning a large dog. If someone entered my house that way, they would have to fight the dogs first. That would give me the time needed to either escape or arm myself.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Edit

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  6. Saved_in_Blood

Edit

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

You can't like a MOD warning post and then do exactly what the MOD was warning against being done Saved in Blood :p

8. Saved_in_Blood

That was actually my fault... I responded before I saw the rest of the thread. I'll edit the posts.

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I've done that a few times before myself :p

10. Saved_in_Blood

This is true. I have 4 large dogs in my home and a HK P30L (super comfortable gun btw). When I leave for class or anything my Wife has the gun within reach at all times. She knows how to shoot, she knows how to clear a jam, she knows how that she just has to pull the slide back and it's ready. IF he could even manage to get past 2 pit bulls, a Presa Canario and a Cane Corso, he will be shot.

However, people do become much more confident when they have a gun on them. It's a confidence thing. If a guy is kicking you and you have a gun in your pants and you can manage to grab it, it's trouble, or over for him.

11. komuso

komuso Valued Member

This kind of illustrates my current stance on the practicality of owning a gun as a means of self defence. In theory, fine, but this poor lady has a child in the house. This pretty much means that it is going to be very, very difficult to have a sufficiently ready firearm just lying around where it would be actually practical to use.

Nasty stuff.

Was the video mentioned earlier with the police and the knife the one that features Dan Inasanto as the blade demonstrator? I can remember just marvelling at how unbelievably fast and fluid he was.

paul

12. Saved_in_Blood

many recommend keeping your gun on you while in your home. No chance of a child getting it, it's ready to go at all times and if she has any sort of training, then she will be quick on the draw. You have to remember that when someone sees a gun, they will hesitate for at least a half second and that's all you need when it comes to a gun.

13. Hannibal

Read Grossman "On Killing" - its nowhere near as simple as owning or carrying a gun. Anyone saying otherwise has not looked into it sufficiently

14. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Ummm,

no chance of a child getting it if it's on you? Do you have kids Saved? I get that my current situation is a bit odd (have triplets...) but in my experience they can be pretty quick, and very sneaky. Not to mention the fact that simply being a parent can occasionally make you tired and subsequently inattentive.

paul

15. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

They may not see the gun.
    They may see it and snap-shoot you without thinking.
    If you shoot someone for kicking you, enjoy your room and board for the next few decades.
    Someone who is not mentally and emotionally prepared to take a life will usually freeze when confronted with violence - and many of those that don't will not survive the emotional result.

It takes a lot more than a 1911 and an NRA course to be prepared for gunfighting.

Now I do advocate firearms as part of a self-protection "stance", but they are a tool included in this, NOT a substitute for it.

I mean, the handgun I carry usually ends up laying next to me with one magazine still on my belt and one next to the weapon when I come home. Doesn't mean a thing if I leave it laying there to get something from my car. Doesn't mean a thing if I don't have a few shut doors between myself and the street to buy me time. Doesn't mean a thing if I can't defeat a gun grab or clear a room. Doesn't mean a thing if I don't know I'm capable of maiming another human being on short notice, under pressure and with little information. These aren't things you can work out after it's gone live.

16. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

There are actually several videos around of infants taking people's holstered handguns and shooting them. Usually at middle eastern weddings, where children, firearms and cameras come together.
    I thought better of posting any as they clearly feature people (usually fathers) being shot at close range by children. They're not hard to find on youtube.

EDIT: Funny observation, it's usually a full-frame CZ or equivalent. Wonder why.

17. Saved_in_Blood

Ever heard of a safety? Ever seen the holsters that cover the gun where it has to be unbuttoned?

18. Saved_in_Blood

Ok wait, someone is kicking you in your own house and you shoot him and you think that you will go to jail? Give me a break man.

19. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Yes, and yes Saved, I was in the Navy here, and like all services folk at the time did my stint on the range. Am I to take the lack of ayes to my own question to indicate that no, you don't actually have kids?

Which isn't a bad thing by the way, just in case Blade sees this and comes after me... :)

paul

20. Hannibal

SiV tends to be heavy on opinion and rhetoric and low on facts and experience.