WMA in Southern Ontario

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Drop Dead Fred, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Drop Dead Fred

Drop Dead Fred New Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on places to learn or research WMA? I'm interested in all aspects, but lean more towards the celtic side of things. I'm starting off from scratch and have no previous background in any combat techniques.

2. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm not sure what you're after when you say you lean on celtic stuff.

Apart from some statues and friscs from the antic + some scant references to olympic MA's in greece or fighting in general, the oldest manuals we have that offer actual techniques are from 1280'ish germany, and shows 1h.sword and buckler, and that is roughly 1200 years after the celts (if you mean that sort of celtic).

Anybody claiming to know how to teach you actual viking-technique or actual celtic technique should be handeled with care (unless you by Celtic, refere to somthing else than the ones beeing invaded by Julius Caecar ;) )

If it is SCA / reenactment you mean, it's a different ballgame all togeather, as SCA / reenactment-fighting have nothing to do with autentic tehcniques, they are just freefights with safetyrules, and the only thing that can be said to be weastern about it is that they use replicas of weastern weapons, armor and clothes.

I do SCA/reenactment my self, and find it very fun, so I'm not talking bad about it as an activity, just informing you about the difference between WMA and SCA (and some SCA'ers actually do train WMA as well).

I live on the other side of the planet, and do not know of anybody deacing WMA in Ontario, but if you want net-sources for studying yourself, there are 100 links to online manuals doing different WMA-stuff other places on this forum, or you could try to take a look at www.swordforum.com

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi there,

Try contacting www.aemma.org and see if they know anyone. They're based out of Toronto, but they might have satellite groups further west. I can't speak as to the quality of their training (no expereince with them or their members at all), but they've been around a long time, so they must be doing something right. They're probably your best bet by far.

Best regards,

-Mark

4. Drop Dead Fred

I've read a bit on the web about scottish/irish wrestling, stick combat, and swordplay, but most people studying it seem to be in the US. Just hoping there is something closer.

5. Battle Man

Battle Man New Member

Hey Fred,

Come on out to Milton (20 minutes from Toronto). Don't think you'll get much in the wrestlin' swordplay side of things, but I can hook you up with some Irish Stick play. Send me a message if your interested. BM

6. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Cateran

Hi Fred

There's probably someone in your area studying Celtic-style MA under Chris Thompson's 'Cateran Society'.......

check out
    http://www.cateransociety.com/

Louie

7. Drop Dead Fred

Thank you so much Harry (I mean Battle Man :) ) I had a great experience in class tonight. I hope they'll let me join.