Wish me luck! (Holding my first seminar)

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Stolenbjorn, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm holding my first Fiore-seminar outside my "gang" this weekend that I actually charge money for. (It's a 2-day-seminar, the students gets about 15 hours of bent arms, ruined backs and hurting hands) :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2005
  2. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Good luck!

Why such a low price for the seminar?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. incubus

incubus Valued Member

Good Luck. Been twice to Norway but never came across any MA clubs

Hadet Bra

4. _Jay_

_Jay_ New Member

oowww good luck and let us know how it goes and all that!
    Unfortunately I'm no where near there!

5. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Good Luck, fella.

Regards
    Rob

6. Good luck, and `ave fun ;)

7. Stolenbjorn

Aftermath

Now it's done.
    Besides a broken handle on one of the longswords due to some full contact-improvised testing of Fiores "giokko stretto" (close play) -it went great :D And I won the little contest as well ;) It was very fun meeting new people to practice techniques on.

I allso had the oppertunety to grapple over a dagger with a security-guy that was way stronger than me, and it was fun seeing how technique and sence for balance and body mechanics ("KI") can counter sheer mucle. I won that contest as well, we both had both our hands on the dagger, and neither dared letting go of it, knowing that would spell defeat; but by active use of my elbows, i eventually managed to controll my opponent after all!

A absolutely recomend that you choose the strongest and meanest when you demonstrate/practice techniques since if it works on them, it will work on anybody!

I allso had the oppertunity to do full contact-daggersparring with a Tae Qwan Do-guy, and it was interresting trying to counter kicks with a system (Fiore's) that don't seem to relate to any high kicks at all. I managed to block all the kicks launched at me, but he had to go soft on me, and I really don't know how those kicks would have fealt if they had been full speed and full power.

This sounds like a lot of bragging, but it's rather a tribute to Fiore's wrestelingsystem. 99% of the event was slow, with explaining and careful excersisings of the different techniques, and I had a great time. This is not going to be the last time I do lectures (-and next time I won't put it up in this forum, Louie; sorry).

Why so cheap?
    Well it was my debut, and I really didn't know how it would be, holding 2 x 7 hours lectures. Besides, I was going there anyway to a reunion party from my teacher-studies 5 years ago, so the money was really just so that they would bother showing up (It's harder to stay in bed when you know you've payed 20 euro for showing up)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  8. Ran Pleasant

Ran Pleasant Valued Member

Stolenbjorn

Glad to hear everything when well. Post some pictures of the event if you have some, let the East see the West.

Ran Pleasant
    ARMA DFW

9. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Lectures!

Hi Stolenbjorn

Demonstrating WMA to a large group of martial artists from Asian styles is pretty daunting so it's great to hear that you enjoyed yourself!!!

Don't NOT put it in the WMA forum Stolenbjorn, you can mention your forthcoming lectures, just don't 'advertise' it, putting in prices, etc.
    That has to be done in the Events section which you can promote a link too, here in the WMA section.

I understand that WMA events are few and far between, so we must promote them, unfortunately MAP rules apply to all sections and Global Mods who come across any blatant seminar/class advertisements will delete the whole thread!!!

Louie

10. Stolenbjorn

OK, Louie :)

I think we've got ourselves a really cosy little subforum here on MAP! I especially like the level we debate things on compared to other places. Perhaps it's because WMA'ers are a bit more social than other stylists? :D