Wing chun vs. Karateka

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by 8limbs38112, Mar 28, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Glad you are doing research, but I think you should set a time frame to make a decisiion now.

Like "I will decide, sign up, and start training in a school by the end of April."

Research is good. But don't get so caught up in it you keep searching and never actually sign up anywhere.

Remember, the ultimate goal is to actually start TRAINING in martial arts.

2. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

I have one more place to check out. I don't think they spar enough. So its between the kung fu class and muay thai. Ill let you know how the muay thai class is after I visit this Friday.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Sparring is important but not the be all and end all - if they do sparring in any format you will be fine; stop procrastinating and jump in! :)

4. 8limbs38112

One of the students told me they haven't done kumite in about a year. He said they used to do it regularly but they kind of stopped. Then I asked the teacher himself and he said yes, they do it but not every class.

5. 8limbs38112

I guess Ill jump in. Its only 30 bucks a month.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

That's a bargain! I spend that in coffee!

7. 8limbs38112

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 guys said something similar to this. Can I say conflicting information. I guess I will have to check out muay thai.

8. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Sparring is fun and important, but risky. When you are a NOOB, sparring should be 5% of what you do and the other 95% should be "learning".

As you learn and get better, you can move the marker to 50%, 75% sparring or more, but note that if you're part of a CLASS, your personal desires matter less unless you train off on your own. On your own, with partners you meet during class, you can spar whenever you want! Imagine that.

Some arts like BJJ, the progression from 5% to 75+% is very fast. In Kung fu, it can be very slow (for valuable reasons). This is why we have Sanda, for the people who are in a hurry.

Once a year is not enough by any means. Every class is not necessary. It is not about "rate of sparring" imho. I know plenty of folks who thought sparring was the ONLY reason to go to class and sparred every class and got hurt and gave up MA. Bad strategy.

It should be about testing techniques as realistically as possible.

Spar 100 times, if you don't test straight punches, forget about straight punching.

If you don't test a throw against someone who doesn't want it, forget about that throw too. And so on, for every technique in whatever art you want.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  9. 8limbs38112

yEAH I understand what your saying. But the student told me they haven't sparred in a year. The student was a black belt. They did something similar thought that started with a B. It looked kind of like sparring but it wasn't.

10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Bunkai?

11. 8limbs38112

Yeah I think so. It was like a controlled sparring session. I don't know exactly what they were doing. It wasn't sparring or freestyle fighting.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  12. 8limbs38112

Visiting the muay thai class today, I will let yall know the details when I get back. I'm going to ask him how long he trained with the Thailand muay thai champion Kru Anan, and ask about his fight record and what type of competition he kickboxed in. Although I believe he kickboxed before he trained muay thai not after. The class will be cut short to one hour instead of 2 because of an event happening today on the street. Let me also add that the class just started last week, so there's no way I can check out if they produce good fighters.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I hope it's a good class!

Mitch

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Enough! Just pay and train already.. As said before just make the step, might be the hardest but its worth it.

Sparring is good but at your level you should be just absorbing and learning, sparring to soon can be a bad thing...

15. 8limbs38112

They do have sparring. All I want to do is make sure they have decent instruction before I commit to train there. Is that a crime???

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I really think your overthinking this, join in and get a feel of the training, most first lessons are free anyway... As I have said any decent gym/dojo/kwoon would not have you sparring straight away without getting the basics down first.

17. 8limbs38112

Yes when I talked to the instructor on the phone that what he said he was going to do.

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Try a few classes.

Don't observe, participate.

How you feel when being instructed and corrected is very important.

Find something you enjoy, with an instructor you can forge a good working relationship with, and after a year or so worry about if it's the best thing you could be doing.

19. 8limbs38112

We basically did stretches and jump roped first. Then we practiced kick and block techniques. One person kicks and one person blocks with the shin and throws a counter kick, etc. This one guy was kicking me too hard in the shin. Then took turns holding the pads or bags whatever you call them while we did the techniques on the bag. I must say it made my legs soar and it was quite a work out. When I asked him how long hes been doing muay thai before class, he kind of avoided the question and told the same story they wrote on the web site. I didn't want to keep on asking him the same question twice, so I charged it to the game. I actually went to the same school as this dude. He recognized my face. I asked him about his competing, he said, yeah, but he didn't compete much. I can't remember why. But yeah.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Sounds great. Go train there.

Pop