Will koryu teachers teach students with tattoos?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by kuoshu, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

You of course mean RESPERATOR... Gas masks went out with WWII

The fact is nuclear, biological and of course chemical warfare are just aspects to be considered in modern conflict but, they don't exist in all theatre of operations.

Why do members of the armed forces keep their hair short ? One might answer... To assist in the treatment of head wounds and this would be correct however, more often than not, and, as with shaving, the primary reason is discipline and appearance.

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Hmm, some of my friends with tattoos who are foreign have had the exact opposite experience. *shrugs*

3. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

So koryu martial arts will never be a way of salvation for a poor kid from a rough area who had tattoos as the only way to avoid being a victim and knew no better at a young age?

Are they only for nice middle-class intelligencia?

Turning up with a shaved pate and a samurai topknot is probably frowned upon too, even though the true old masters who used their art to protect their own lives probably sported such a coiffure. Irezumi were a samurai 'thing' centuries before they were a yakuza 'thing' btw and some of the early soke may even have had tatoos, and I doubt if any of our koryu friends can come up with evidence that the irezumi rule existed prior to the 20th century, but would aquiesce if it is presented.

Times will change and as more non-criminal Japanese get irezumi and as master such as Hiroshii III become recognised as artists in their own homeland, attitudes will change, but maybe not until the end of our lifetime or later. The public view is apparently changing slowly, even in a small number of swimming pools but it will take time.

The koryu have every right to have whatever rule they wish, even to exclude Westerners entirely if they so wish, but people also have the right, even in Japan to express their own opinion about the absurdity of assuming that people with tattoos have poor character.

Even the Bujinkan has a rule about criminal records, but I doubt if pinching a pushbike at 17 would count against someone trying to join in their late twenties who was now in a respectable occupation.

4. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Your post is an interesting one. I know a number of older people who practice JSA and who came from a military background and have tattoos in prominent places. They cover them up with long sleeves, and in return their teachers ingore the tattoos.

There is a simple answer to this one. Some sensei will, some sensei won't. Simple. :)

5. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Doc_Jude said:-
    It's perfectly true that one of the reasons why modern army personnel are not allowed to wear beards is because a beard can interfere with the correct seal when wearing a respirator. (Gas Mask? :p ).

But it's also very true that certain grooming fashions are linked to the cultural traditions of not just the whole army but also the individual regiments. For example, my old TA regiment was the Royal Welch Fusiliers. The RWF has some unusual grooming and indeed dress traditions that would not be allowed in other regiments. However, that's by the by. My point is that not everything in the army is carried out for entirely practical purposes. So I stand by my earlier statement that the "no beard" rule also has roots in personal discipline and cultural traditions.

6. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Apart from an NCO ranked seargeant and above in the Pioneer Corps who is required to wear a full beard.

7. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Right, exactly! That's an example of where a regimental tradition outweighs certain practicalities.

Just out of personal curiosity, do you know why this particular tradition is maintained elftengu? PM if you prefer.

8. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Sorry Andy, I don't know the origins of this rule, but I knew it was the case 20 years ago as I saw a CSM with a beard at a barracks. I later checked it out in a book I used to have called 'Armies of Europe' and found that it was tradition. His huge gut was probably not though, I have no idea how he passed his BFT!

I have to admit I didn't know if it was still in practice until I looked up 'beard' in Wikipedia this morning, where it reads as though it may be optional these days.

9. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Thanks anyway. I'll see if I can find out later.

10. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Any local 'regimental' custom is secondary to threat assessment based upon the theatre of operations and the role of unit deployment.

In Bosnia my unit's role was very much PR "Winning the hearts and minds" thus presentation was high. In Cyprus on similar UN deployment the requirement was less so however, basic personal admin and discipline was (is) required at all times.

11. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Yes, of course. It may very well be that the bearded CSM mentioned above may have been required to wear a beard during day to day life but when on operations he may have been required to shave. Unfortunately, without more details of that specific case, it's difficult to know.

Ah ha! Wait one.

EDIT - As you were. There's a TA Major who works in the building with me and I thought they might be able to provide current information but just my luck they've gone home early!

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  12. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beard

This is quite helpful, although it doesn't explain why moustaches in the United Kingdom are only tolerated on soldiers, the RAF, gay men, Doron Navon, Hulk Hogan, Tom Selleck and Margaret Thatcher.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

BWHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

I just broke it to several of my friends (in BJJ no less) that Tom Selleck was/is gay! They were floored. I mean just absolutely shattered. I've never seen such a crestfallen bunch of lads. :D I almost felt bad for springing the news on them. :p

14. Rock Ape

Rock Ape Banned Banned

Indeed, I would suggest that is most likely the case however, not having a particularly strong taste for British Army BS, I upped and left and joined the RAF Regiment - Much more civilised - Chocks away :p