Will koryu teachers teach students with tattoos?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by kuoshu, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Why do you call him Hatsumi Sensei online?

I'm interested so amuse me if you don't mind. :D

What would you call him if you bumped into him over here? Sensei? Soke? Boss ? :eek: :D

In fact what did you call him when you bumped into him in Noda that one time?

I know that's a bit different as it was in Japan, like I said I'm just curious. I just wouldn't feel right calling him anything but Soke or Sensei regardless of where I was. Same goes for the Japanese Shihan too.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Prob the same reason as you did until you started using Hatsumi Soke, terminology. but again not relevant as he is not my Instructor.

I'd prob ask what he would prefer.
    He did all the talking, i just stood there with my mouth open in surprise.

And was literally he was not there one moment, then he was moment so did not think WHAT too say.

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Maybe there's some truth to this ninja stuff after all... :D

4. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

seriously, you had to be there.

I look left to cross the road, right to cross the road then a lifesaving left again( being a old biker) and he was there just smiling at me.

If he had been any closer i would have crapped myself. My blood ran cold as it was just did not know what to do with myself.

5. Lord Spooky

I say Hatsumi Soke here to be clear about who I'm talking about, I tend just to use Soke when talking to other Bujinkan folks. If I just say Soke over on the Ninjutsu forum you all know who I'm on about, it's different over here.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  6. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

Not to me, maybe you are different here.

I'm the same all over the forum.:D and the web and real life....

7. Lord Spooky

If I say Soke am I talking about Hatsumi Soke or Iwami Soke?

Context of the conversation would probably make it clear but not always.

8. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

If you referred to the soke of a ryuha as "soke", it can sometimes be a bit overbearing. Usually this is played down considerably. A lot of high ranking people just prefer to be called by the honorific, "sensei".

Soke & shihan are levels you either inherit or attain, so it's kind of like having a BsC or B.A. Hons at the end of your name on your business card. You don't really refer to people by that title unless it is some kind of very formal function.

9. Lord Spooky

Thanks for the clarification.

:)

10. Kogusoku

No bother mate, you're welcome. ;)

11. Kogusoku

That it frickin' awesome. :D

12. ScottUK

The BlueBoy Sam has a KK teeshirt with a huge Cobra Kai logo on the back!

"STRIKE FIRST STRIKE HARD NO MERCY SIR!" on the front... :)

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

You discriminate all the time. Every time you make a choice. You try not to discriminate based upon certain criteria, and that's fine. But integral to freedom is the freedom to make choices. When an employer decides which applicant to hire, they are discriminating based upon something, and as long as that "something" isn't race, religion, age or a few other very specific categories, he is free to do so.
    Again, all you're doing is arbitrarily defining your value system as right and someone else's as wrong. You're judging them.

14. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Not wanting to take this thread too far off topic, but what is the dispute of whether MJER is koryu or not? Branches of MJER make up two out three schools of iai that I know of in my country (I attend the third), and they are pretty adament that they are koryu, so I was just wondering what boxes they don't tick on the 'koryu qualification list'.

15. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Hi Devoken

First, :rei: to a fellow muso jikiden student.

What I was referring to is that MJER is possibly the major school of iai studied throughout the world and it has the odd ha here and there to boot.

Because, as has been discussed, the very nature of koryu is to be closed and rigidly Japanese, it has been voiced to me that a school teaching it is not koryu any longer if it does not follow the line of Hogiyama Namio. I personally believe this to be false sophistry but am willing to accede that the issue exists if it will keep the peace in a discussion with the potential volatility this one has.

16. Devoken

Devoken On the Path-Off the Rails

Ah, thanks.

17. gakure

gakure I am watching you....

LOL,

You: "Wah.....he refused to teach me his martial arts"
    Judge: "That is his choice"
    You: *Stamp foot"

Unless you got a race issue, they don't got any legal recourse. And in Japan they would just laugh at the silly Gaijin.

18. ScottUK

Why oh why doesn't MAP have a 'rep' button? That was superb.

19. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Valued Member

Sometimes it's the simple and straightest reponses that tell the tale best :tup:.

20. Kogusoku

I take my flat cap off and salute you.