"Why You Do Like That?" Weights, Martials and 'The Healthy'

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by SoKKlab, Apr 27, 2013.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

"We're Not Playing Games Here"

Tuesday 18th June 2013

So I'm GLAD I decided to stick with 'the process' in this system of Silat. As things are starting to come to fruition. Firstly more classes are on the horizon. And these'll be dedicate subjects on dedicated days. Which is great for a 'brain like a sieve' like me :confused:

We're developing some feedback drills and approaching 'sparring' now. Still nowhere near as much 'aliveness' (yuck) as I'm used to...But hey we are getting there.

So last night's Silat was all standing up. No groundwork at all. LOTS of kicking. My hips are today complaining somewhat.

We started running through a kicking drill that worked the fundamental 'Gelek' (Twisting, Coiling) of this system. This is vitally important.

Much in the same way as Thai Martial Arts - You're capitalising on the 'pulley-like' effect you get when you twist one way, then spring back another (Tai Chi !)...But we're looking to work 'flow' if you like. No thinking about hitting or picking shots. But working from contact and opportunity.

We did 20 solid minutes of this twisting elbow (Sok Sab in Thai) then twisting into the front 'thrust' kick. And then working in the 'mouse step'. Which is a skipping circular pivot. Then working in a BANG! Up and Over Roundhouse.

With the mouse step you have to bring your feet together for a brief moment. I cannot describe to you the level of trauma this sent me into.

You see having been (and considering I still am) a practitioner of Thai Martial Arts...To bring the feet together is an absolute No-No. Seriously Baaaad.

And so muggins here just could not get this when we started our arm to arm 'feeling and moving'. For the first half of the class I was by my standards next to useless. Although my roundhouses were the bombdiggity.:)

We continued to work these mouse step pivots across two main technical sequences:

1) Elbow Intercept and Arm Jut against a Straight Right followed by the mouse step into a Roundhouse to their centre, with a step across their centre and back kick (ala Muay Chiaya)

2) Same as above intercept but with a more parallel skipping mouse step into a hefty beset (a sweeping leg reap backwards motion - you end up in a classical 'front stance' type position

All great fun. I'll do some stretching and a bit of training later today (wed 19th June) and then tomorrow I'll do some Heavy Cable Resistance.

Bon Chance Les Mateys

2. SoKKlab

"Eeee By Gum Tis Strand Pulling"

Thursday 20th June 2013

"Well now there's a thing"...Felt a bit 'tight' all week (no not stingey).

My traps and hambones felt full o' twinge. Coupa foam rollering seshs got rid of some. I tell you last Saturday's weights sesh took it out of me. I was concerned about my traps. The only thing stopping me Deadlifting 315 + kilos is I want to make sure my Traps can handle the weight.

But! Traps hassle is now gone, As I did some cable work with the trusty Powerpushup (25 minutes max, fast work, all done standing):

Music - Black Sabbath 'Black Sabbath' (der al bum)

Gripper 250 lbs - Really squeezing grips, guts ****. Whilst pulling your belly button towards your anus and vice versa - Fantastic for all out effort. Plus great 'abs' exercise.

x 8 (with static hold for 10 seconds at the end)
    x 6 (ditto)

"Strand Pulling" with 240 lb resistance cables (Powerpushup)- Working mainly Traps, Shoulders, Upper Back, Triceps and core from Obliques, Deep Abdominals etc.

Chest Expander (Palms in Grip). It's not heavy enough resistance to be challenging - Hence I do these as the warm up.

Bow and Arrow (just like pulling a hefty bow - This is pretty tough)

Standing Vertical Press (The closest I can get to a Shoulder Press without pinging the ceiling with the cables. Have to spread my lats to hold the thing in place. About a 77.347 degree angle):

x 16 ("oh no Bodybuilding range"!)

Side Shoulder Press

Palms out Grip. Flip the Powerpushup over your head so it's across your mid-upper back. Bring the Shoulder blades together. And push straight out.

240 lbs is too light for me to do this press in a side shou press. So I do higher reps

x 10 (With a 20 second hold near lockout)

Single Arm Side Shoulder Raise

x 7 (these are hard with this sort of resistance and this movement)

Bent Over Shoulder Row (Tough) Look up and forward

x 8 (tough)
    x 7 (+ 5 sec hold)

Punch Press (Wanna Keep Your Guard Up at all times - Then Do These)

x 10 (+10 sec hold)

Great and envigorating.

Not consuming any supplements such as Creatine at the mo. Haven't been for 2 months now. Lost (down the back of the couch?) 2 kilos when I stopped taking the all-in-one-powder (Creatine, HMB etc). Water weight probably.

Weight - A mere slip of a lad at 104 kgs/ 228 pounds/ 16.45 stone. :Angel:

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cool, I'm happy it's all starting to come together AND it looks likely that you'll get more classes in!

I train kali (with other people) thrice weekly (stupid job and sleeping get in the way of more training) and something I still struggle with is balancing separation of topics with regular enough repetition - but more training is always better than less training (assuming constant quality)!
    With kali all the movements and concepts are transferable, and there is a lot of crossover between drills (see the thread on the seminar with Kuya Doug Marcaida - "everything is sinawali") but it took me a fair while (maybe around 300ish hours' training plus time to let it settle in to my mind?) before it all noticeably started to slot into place and overlap. There was definitely a sense of everything (weapon areas, drill types, ranges) being a bit disparate.

Now I make a point of SHOWING the crossovers between areas and similarities in movements at an early stage in training - if it doesn't go in, then no worries, but the sooner the crossovers are understood (physically and mentally), the better.
    It's one of those things where 'visualisation' training is actually useful - it's one of my least favourite methods of training, but still has some value if you are at or past the 'mechanical' stage of learning (and don't have a training partner on hand). This is a stage in learning where having a structured curriculum and writing your own notes helps. Well, it certainly helps me!

Anyway, ramble over, train on.

4. SoKKlab

Hi Harry
    Pretty good news I felt. Either I'm gonna do more and get better at it directly. Or find a way to do other training that complements what I'm doing.

As it's difficult to find something that truly compliments this Silat system (older style Muay comes pretty close but has enough fundamental differences to skew my practice in the wrong direction)...I'm glad we'll have more classes. My feeble brain needs all the help it can get.

Yeah me too. With a multi-faceted art I find you need to keep rotating topics. Or rather rotate content on a regular basis.

I know this is the case for all to an extent. Hell even in ring-rules Muay Thai you need to give equal emphasis to clinchwork, kicking, kneeing, striking etc. Else you end up 'all undies and no trousers'...

Same with ours - all is the same. Empty hand into weaponry - same postures, same intercepts etc.

Can't remember what book it was I read - (Malcolm Gladwell) - that gave the general consensus it takes about 1000 hours of practice to 'master' something.

In this case 'master' refers to being able to it better than 98.73% of the people you'd encounter on a daily basis.

Of course 10,000 hours and you'd be 'leet-level'. But 10, 000 hours of what?

That's why I opted in some respects for a 'blade aware' art. So all is transferable across everything. I'm not so into - these days - arts where's there's a separation between 'weapon work and empty hand' etc. It's too much hassle having to 'pick a technique, any technique'...

Yes I do indulge in a bit of visualisation when practicing solo. It helps me a bit. At least I can remember the basic principles of the art. And apply them in that practice.

For me I need to experience something to learn it best. Maybe that's an obviousity? I've got pages and pages of notebooks on different concepts. I've videos up the wazoo. And yet IF I want to really 'get' it. It's got to be done 'live' with a partner.

I was talking the other day with a friend. I was amazed they could seemingly learn so easily by just seeing the info. I can do that to an extent. But this guy had it down pat straight away.

Not me. I need to mess it up a few times with a training partner before I get it. Through Drills. And then Drills with variation.

I particularly like Drills with varying forms of 'randomness' and 'resistance' work. These work best for me.

As soon as there's real threat I could lose teeth or a bit of my face - Phasers on stun! :hat:

5. SoKKlab

Trap Twang and Twinge

Saturday June 22nd 2013

So today I broke one of my rules. Basically when you're training 'pure' strength you should only go back to the gym when you're capable of lifting more. That is Progressive Resistance.

So sometimes you'll not train for a coupla weeks. In fact the guys doing Static Contractions and Power Factor style Workouts get to the point when they're only training maybe once or twice a month.

As counterintuitive as it may at first sound. It makes perfect sense. When You're subjecting your Central Nervous System to really hefty loads it needs a lot longer to repair and reset.

Anyways today I really had to push myself to train. My hams and traps were still really tight. I did some Foam Rollering before the gym. This helped a bit. But I still though to myself 'Best not Deadlift today'.

And so today I just wanted to achieve some good Squats - And to go up in weight or reps safely. 'The next peg in the board' if you like.

The usual warm up including Squat Stretches, Leg flicky-flacking, 90 Degree back Stretch. Also I've started making sure I do some teacups each sesh. And do the side on palm on the wall stretch that's so great for engaging your chest and shoulders.

My inner elbows were tight when I first got under the bar...

Things to Bear in Mind: No Straps, Belts or Chain Mail Panties were used in the making of this production. I'm NOT training to failure. Nor am I doing any sets above 10 reps (unless it's a short-range set which I sometimes do for max strength work). My back at 84.73% - Had a few twinges, but nowt major.

Squats

50 kgs (2.2 pounds = 1 kilo) x 10 (paused and resisted negs on all reps)
    90 kgs x 10 (ditto)
    130 kgs x 9 (ditto) (first 3 sets fast 1 and half minutes between sets)
    165 kgs x 5
    190 kgs x 4
    205 kgs x 3

I could have done way more here. But I decided NOT to slap on some hefty iron and really go for it. This took every ounce of my will to say 'no, bit by small bit is the way I'm sticking to'.

Again you can see I'm now squatting more weight safely. I went up a few kilos on the last set particularly. Reps were about equal to last sesh.

My goal here is to go back up through 220 kgs. Then back up to 260 kgs plus. When I'm confident my back is fully sorted.

Good Mornings

Probably the best hamstring/ low back exercise. Down to 90 degrees. Make sure you jut your chin up and forward. This engages the muscles of your spine. Space your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart. 1 breath in = 1 rep. This pulls your stomach in. And so your core gets a lot of work.

I lower slowly and pause in a static hold at 90 degrees (I usually do 3 to 5 seconds on some reps - you might not like that very much as it's really hard work).

Then push back and up fast against the load (with a real powershucking style motion. Think that some fool has taken your back. And before they can go for The Cwtch of Death. Boom you're gonna catapult them into the wall behind you!

Exhale - like a spout - when you get to half way and beyond in your move back to upright. Keep your belly sucked in and tense at all times - Even when you exhale, keep some breath in your lungs.

The Good Morning has a bad rep. This is unjustified. Like all exercises/ lifts you've to be warmed up properly first.

45 kgs x 10
    75 kgs x 8
    105 kgs x 6

Hang-Style High Pulls (NOT putting the bar down between reps)

Working wider and wider as I got into it. Strict form to high chest. Done as fast as I could add the weight.

40 kgs x 10
    50 kgs x 9
    60 kgs x 8
    75 kgs x 7 (Snatch style from here - Thanks Zaad)
    90 kgs x 6 (Ditto)
    100 kgs x 6

Could have gone way above this but running out of time. And I wanted to get a good bagwork etc sesh in.

Bagwork

Fast raw hands with some elbows. Working on slipping and movement whilst blamming in 5, 6 straight punch combos (1 second = 6 punches).

When you don't wear gloves and wraps etc you absolutely must keep fist integrity. One slip and your wrist is crimped. This is why hefty grip work is really important for bare-knuckle boxing. This bag weighs 100 lbs. So you really have to pay attention to what you're doing.

Roundhouse Kicks - concentrating on getting my hips turned out and right over. In an up over and down fashion / \

Jumping and Springing Knee - Swing the bag spring forward. Sometimes I'm using the lead knee jut. Others I'm bringing the rear knee forward.

Important you hack down with an axe-like motion. So the striking area is the big confluence of bone at the top of your shin + the rest of your shin. You're cultivating knockdown power.

Kuching Roundhouses to finish from the floor. You can get a really hefty cut and whack from these.

Some speedball also - Some numpty broke the Floor-to-ceiling ball

6. SoKKlab

Och tsk forgot to mention the calf raises I did last gym session...

Monday 24th June 2013

Saw me messing up the lawn practising my Silat:

I started with sets of 'I Don't Know Whats':

Get in a Upward Dog - Squat Thrust position. Bring your leg to your chest - so your thigh touches your chest. And then take it across your body to your oblique (so you fold your leg underneath). With a twist under.

Surprisingly difficult did 40 of those to start. And some wide-legged Squat Thrusts. Which make you look ridiculous but open your hips out nicely.

Then Tuklao (Kick thru on the ground) 2 points of support (hand down on the kicking leg side and Foot down on the hands-free side)

Open Kuching to Spinover Roundhouses etc (I want to still be able to do these with ease when I'm 90 - Great fun)

For about 10 minutes.

Then Harimau from the upright 'L' 'Besam' stance. I really feel these today. Slowly dropping forward into Harimau and then springing back up (like a 3-pronged plyometric pushup).

Foam Rollering and specific Silat stretches (Buaya - Crocodile) and Suwa (Python - Side Sit).

Managed to break the foam roller by sitting on it. Strewth I'm not that hefty! So that can go back :cry:

Looking forward to Silat this eve. And I might get to do some sparring and padwork this week - mostly bareknuckle boxing/ fighting in the Welsh style. Not really doing that much Muay at the moment.

7. SoKKlab

Tuesday 26th June 2013

A fun, hard work and aching all over session last night.

The conditioning at the start was leg brutal. Starting in our usual side to side besam 'L' squatted posture we did 20 minutes of full-on twisting (four corners posture) and coiling (sepok - coiled on the ground).

I'm not sure where you're meant to arrange your nads in Sepok - But I wasn't getting that right for sure :eek:

Then squats with the palms jammed together and the shoulders held in an isometric overhead. Then with your palms together bent behind your back (another isometric). No slacking. Your arms are absolutely rigid clamped together at all times. Much tougher than it looks.

After a couple of minutes you can't move your shoulders. Loads more sweatboxtorture...The highlight of which was what I'm calling 'The Snail' -

Imagine the beginning position of a Bear Crawl. Now crunch your body up. Bring your knees to your elbows. Your forearms are on the ground - Horrendous. Absolute trap and shoulder overload. And your core gets fried too.

The cheap sweaty fun continued. The technicals you ask? Well let's start by saying I took a coupla hundred roundhouse kicks to the legs at 30 to 50% power.

Particularly my right leg. We worked on simple arm interception (striking the incoming arms off a simple jab). This from an 'arms engaged' posture - This is training you to take whatever opportunity you have to strike etc.

To a casual observer this may seem too slow. But! Their arm gets an almighty jink as your elbow/forearm intercepts it.

And stepping/ pivoting at angles takes you 'in' closer to them. Into strong up and over roundhouse (Keep your body upright weight over your supporting leg). These roundhouses - In fact most of what we were doing last night are very much in the 'Ling Lom'/ older Muay style so I'm up to speed really quickly.

Then added a takedown 'back kick' - stepping at such an angle as to take the balance completely.

Also mixed in to the arm 'gunting' (striking, shearing) - shuffle step - pivot - roundhouse sequence was a number a beset's (reaping backwards sweep - you end up in a classical 'front stance' type posture).

And a really nasty head cuffing and crimp strangle neck-snapping takedown and body surf jobbie. Gosh I got the positioning bang on when doing these by paying attention to Key Core Silat Principles - Adhesion (sticking to).

We finished with some Kick Interceptions with the elbows. Drop your bodyweight and elbow point into the shin of their front kick. Then twist into a 'four corners' and intercept their angle kick (45 degree roundhouse) with your double elbows.

Muay Chiaya basically. The only difference is with the elbow intercepts the first is done from the 'L' posture besam. And with the 'four corners' (vs the angle kick roundhouse) you twist your lead foot out on the heel.

In Muay (Thai, Chiaya or Korat) you'd drop double elbows into 'Pak Luk Toi' (double elbow stop/ spike).

Same thing basically. More kicking interception and padwork next week.

Needless to say my legs are like Iron balloons today. Might do a bit of light training later to kick out the jams...

8. SoKKlab

Wednesday 26th June 2013

After a bit of leg twizzling and flicky-flacking I worked on a bit of drop step. and then:

Der Gripper 250 lbs (Crush Grip): - No Inclination to crush the heftier 350 lb gripper at the mo. I'll build back up to increasing my crush grip through reppage vs intensity.

Thing about heavy grip work is it wrecks your CNS (Central Nervous System) if you try to do to much. I find just doing 1 shorter grip sesh a week is the right ratio for me at present.

x 8 (8 each per hand) warming up

Should really get a lighter gripper and go 'up through the gears' but don't have one at the mo.

x 6 (ditto)

x 6 (faster more intense crush - squeezing grip, guts, **** for true hyperirradiation)

x 4 (with a static 10 second hold at the end of the last 2 reps)

Thursday 27th June 2013 25 minutes of fast, hot hardcore action! :rolleyes:

More "Strand Pulling" with the 240 lb resistance cables (Powerpushup2)- Working mainly Traps, Shoulders, Upper Back, Triceps and core from Obliques, Deep Abdominals etc.

The great thing about hefty cables is they increase the resistance the nearer you get to lockout. Perfectly aligning the load with your strongest range of motion. They also have some kind of continuous tension which makes it more taxing than conventional weights action.

I must invest in a Powerpushup 3. And get a heftier set of cables the 300 pound plus ones). Note to self: Get and do it!

Chest Expander (Palms in Grip). It's not heavy enough resistance to be challenging - Hence these are my warm up.

Bow and Arrow (Archer's Pull) (This is one of the best exercises for shoulder rehab. This and the Silat has really stabilised my shoulders. It's pretty hard to do at this poundage too)

Standing Vertical Press (The closest I can get to a Shoulder Press with this contraption. You have to spread your lats to hold the thing in place. About a 77.347 degree angle. No, more like 78.97865. Or maybe 79.7375?):

x 16 ("More of Bodybuilding range!"....!...)

Side Shoulder Press

Palms out Grip. Flip the Powerpushup over your head so it's across your mid-upper back. Bring the Shoulder blades together. And push straight out.

240 lbs is too light for me. To do a hefty side shoulder press I need more resistance. So I do higher reps

x 10 (With a 20 second hold near lockout - with a 10% bend in your arms)

Single Arm Side Shoulder Raise (Standing)

x 7 (hard with this sort of resistance and this movement. Really tough to get the cable to anywhere near level with your shoulder)

Bent Over Shoulder Row (Pretty Tough to get your hands parallel to your shoulder level at this resistance) Look up and forward

x 8 (tough)
    x 7 (+ 5 sec hold)

Punch Press (Wanna Keep Your Guard Up at all times? - Then Do These). Done smoothly - No jinking. Make sure your rear guard hand is pulling tightly to your centreline as you punch out with your lead hand. Means both arms and your entire body is getting worked through constant tension.

x 10 (+10 sec hold)

Great and envigorating.

Not consuming any supplements such as Creatine at the mo. Haven't been for 2 1/2 months now. Got shot of 2 kilos when I stopped taking the all-in-one-powder (Creatine, HMB etc). Water weight probably.

I might persuade myself to but another 'all-in-one' powder next week. Or maybe some beta-alanine (alkalising, means you get less lactic acid build up. And can recover quicker, easier).

At present I'm recovering well enough between weights, silat and other training. Currently though my legs feel like they've been squoozed through a mangle.

Weight - STILL a mere slip of a lad at 104 kgs/ 228 pounds/ 16.45 stone.:hat: That coupla pounds lighter seems to be the difference between moving relatively smoothly...And bouncing around like a ball of gristle.

Mind you my litheness is increasing somewhat.

2 cups of hibicus and rose hip tea and a slew of choccie digestives for the win...

9. SoKKlab

Saturday 29th June 2013

Found me in the gym from 2ish to 4pm. After my 2 mile walk in the sun (nice). I mercilessly hogged the squat rack (okay nobody wanted it - except to do standing ohead presses - Yeah Right!).

It was hot and muggy. So I broke out in a sweat pronto. Warmup: Leg Flicky-flacking, squat stretches, flat palm down to the wall, teacups etc.

Once again my inner elbows were tight when I first under the bar...What's that all about? Am I gonna need to do some elbow warmups now too?

Things to Remember: I wear No Straps, Belts or Chain Mail Panties. Nor am I taking an arm full of androgens...

- I'm NOT training to failure
    - No sets above 10 reps (unless it's a short-range set sometimes done for max strength work)

- Most of my worksets are 6 reps and under. I'm NOT looking to gain MASS. Really I'm just looking to tap my innate strength for the love of it...

My back was at 85.11% - Generally felt better than last week.

Squats

50 kgs x 10 (paused and resisted negs on all reps)
    90 kgs x 9 (ditto)
    120 kgs x 9 (ditto) (first 3 sets fast 1 and half minutes between sets)
    175 kgs x 5 (felt warmed up properly so increased weight more between sets)
    195 kgs x 4
    205 kgs x 3

I'm still stopping myself really banging some really hefty iron on...Again you can see I'm now squatting more weight safely. I went up a few kilos on the middle sets particularly. Reps were about equal to last sesh. Hard work but worth it.

You might remember my goal is to go back up through 220 kgs. Then back up to 260 kgs plus. When I'm confident my back is fully sorted. No idea when that'll be.

I must take it easy here. And build my ability to 'rep out' in my current middle range. When I can do 6 reps at 220 kgs then I'm ready to go back up through 260 kgs plus.

Deadlifts - 5 pins down (just below knee height)

As part of my Deads cycle I'm staying at 5 Pins Down. Until I can hoik 300 kgs from there for 3 reps again. Then I'll drop to 6 pins down (mid-shin). And then to the floor again.

This is more to do with trap (static holding) strength and integrity. At present I'm getting my traps used to holding pretty hefty loads. Bit by bit. If it was all about leg strength I could easily do 315 kgs plus and not sweat it.

Trap strength/ integrity is what I'm concentrating on here. And also making sure my technique is bang on. Talking of which...

Look up as you grasp the bar. Jut your chin out up and forward. As if trying to push it against the wall (stabilises your spinal muscles).

Your shoulders directly over the bar. Which is over your midfoot - your instep.
    Bend your legs by about 20%. Push your **** out - This will spring load your hamstrings (they should feel tense). As if trying to get it against the wall behind you. Your mid-shins should now touch the bar.

Rock back on your heels - the weight pops up. Continue to look up. Stand up. Your Lower Back SHOULD NOT HURT. Worked yes, Hurting no.

120 kgs x 10 (all sets are double ohand grip)
    160 kgs x 8
    200 kgs x 8 (straps from 200 kgs on)
    235 kgs x 7
    265 kgs x 5

More reps in the mid-range.

I wanted to crank out another set. But! My ectomorphic 'works 14 hour days in a kitchen' 50-yr-old protege rocked up and needed coaching. I should be flattered. At least he's managed to put on 4 pounds of weight following the program I wrote for him (go team!).

So I did:

Hang High Pulls (As fast as I could add weight) - Strict form to the high chest:

50 kgs x 10
    60 kgs x 10
    70 kgs x 8
    80 kgs x 7
    90 kgs x 7
    100 kgs x 6

Bagwork, Floor-To-Ceiling Ball, Speedball

Managed to get 20 minutes in. Zigzagging between the 3. Floor-to-ceiling-ball's been repaired. So with new cords it's fast. It was like being in a silent Keystone Cops movie. Undercranked for fast motion. As the thing assaulted me.

Worked the bag with my drop step and falling step for single 'jabs' -knockdowns with the lead.

Then 3 and 4 straight punch combos. And shovel hooks. And some jumping/ springing knee (chop down with your shin for knockdown power). Some fast sets of Roundhouses hammered in. And the Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to finish.

Really enjoyable. Just I didn't get all that I wanted done. Hohum.

10. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

you really need to start up a youtube channel :D I just commented on BigJsExtremeFitness there isn't enough motivation in the UK. I know the Americans are quite good at confidence but even so, we have strength over here too. Almost all (if not all) of my youtube subs are US sites: DLB, Elliot Hulse, Johhny Candito, CT Fletcher, Chris Jones & Vince Garca, Nick Nilson, Bryce Lewis, Andrea Valdez, MDUSA, California Strength, Strength Project...

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  11. SoKKlab

Well Thank You Muchly Princess for that compliment.

Been mulling that Uchube Channel idea for a while now.

Only thing stopping me is that Elliot Hulse etc are really great at what they do. I mean when I'm in the mood to looksee some strength type training. I always end up looking at mostly his channel. He's an excellent communicator.

I don't know what I could add in terms of difference. Just my sentiments on training etc I 'spose.

Also most of those guys are pro's. Whereas I'm a recreational lifter etc.

I'll grant it some more serious thought. And again thanks for the compliment.

12. SoKKlab

Tuesday 2nd July 2013

In this episode:

- Your Hero Dry Pukes Multiple Times
    - Battery Acid with Heart Attack?
    - Up All Night and Not For a Good Thing

And so not been sleeping well since Saturday - A SIN! Ideally you should aim for at least 8 hrs sleep a night. To get full recovery. Really that little bit extra sleep works wonders in terms of your healing.

Anyway I fell asleep on the bus. And so arrived at Silat really relaxed. Apart from the fact my back (centre lower spine around the kidneys) was aching like crazy. Why?

Really I've managed to get rid of most of my back twinges. Those brought on by going up through the gears with the weights too quickly about 2 months ago (see every weights post of my going).

So why was my back aching so badly? Also why hadn't I digested my food properly?

Anyway Silat was a giggle. Lots of really hefty leg work as a warmup - I've gotten used to the fact that Saturdays Big Leggy day always gets its followup on Tuesdays now...

The gist of the class was kicking each other. Myself and my training partner B - Who's the only dude who's near my poundage - Did 100's of thrust kick (ball of the foot into the guts) at 40 to 70% of max power, roundhouse combinations.

Really anyone who says Leg Presses are useless has never thrown any kind of Front Kick in their life...

At first starting from contacted arms - For feel etc. Then we worked jab-roundhouse interceptions. Great movement (Four Corners) really similar to Muay Chiaya's version of 'Pak Luk Toi' (elbow interception of the roundhouse kick).

And then a knee into the skiddoolies to finish (using the inner thigh of the roundhouse kick as it's still in the air.

I bet B that it would be less than 3 minutes before someone got a blam in the nads. First strike came in at 3.37 seconds...Not a bad guess.

Then we did springing and jumping knee techniques. Well I got carried away here. Showing B my mad muay skillz. Probably did 50 plyometric jump knees. As I showed him the variations of jumping knee techniques. Including the axe-downwards knee.

Great fun and today my legs feel...Like lead balloons again.

Finished off with simple Kuda-Kuda (horse stance). Doesn't seem like much to do 3 minutes of horse stance does it? Okay it was after all that jumping and kicking. So legs were seriously protesting.

So why was my back aching? Well got home and had a cup of camomile tea and some biscuits whilst indulging in a radox salts bath. For ages. Then my stomach started doing somersaults. I thought I'd picked up the bug that my friend C had in Sri Lanka.

My stomach swolled right up. I broke out in hideous sweat. My body was rigid tense. Stomach continued to swell. Heart started palpitating. Felt like I'd swallowed battery acid. And my kidneys were trying to jump out of my back.

Had to get out of the bath and tried to puke. No luck. Just retching. Coeliac Attack (amazing how it has a cumulative effect) - Not had one since 2007. When my disbelieving friends thought I was having a heart attack.

Anyway writhed around the floor in agony for a while. Remembered had some chewable acidopholus in the cupboard. Dragged myself there wilst swearing a lot. Chewed 4 and washed down with big gulps of water. And tried to stretch my abdomen out whilst waiting.

Stayed in a Tibetan Bridge style position...Fortunately within 20 minutes most of the coeliac effect was gone. This time it was only a fairly mild episode.

So guess who'll be mostly gluten-free for the next foreseeables? Today my gut lining is really sensitive and I'm a it wiped out. Been banging down a teaspoon of ginger every coupla hours.

Your Home Coeliac Kit:

- Acidopholus (Chewable as faster acting)

- Slippery Elm Bark Powder to mix with water

- Umaboshi Plum paste (Japanese Plum paste that soothes inflammed stomach and intestines)

- (optional) Aloe Vera (quart of) as liquid. Again for soothing angry stomach etc.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Poor you! I hope you're feeling better now?! :)

14. SoKKlab

Thank You Frodo.

Am a bit wiped out today. Can't do much and am really a bit phased. Did spend an unusually long amount of time - zombie-like - in the Gluten-Free section of the local superstore.

Oh well. Better a milder version than a really heavy 'writhe around in agony for 6 hours or so' version, eh?

Back to normal tomorrow. And I don't mean cakes and buns.

15. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Ouch! Get well soon

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Man that sounds pretty nightmareish, I hope you recover soon. At least you know what causes it, right? Better than writhing around in agony for an unknown reason! And also, (surely) much better than an actual heart attack!
    Get well soon

17. SoKKlab

The Strand's The Thang

Thank you's for your kind responses. A couple of good things have come from this:

- My stomach is totally flat now. No bloating. I've been doing a few 'vacuum-style' core exercises. But not having any grains for a few days and boom! Totally flat abdomen.

Wednesday (3rd July) I was wiped out. I took time off work. And spent most of the day napping on the couch. Watching re-runs of 'Murder She Wrote'...Really I can't see why nobody's figured it out that Jessica Fletcher is the murderer - Everytime!

Look at the evidence. She's always there! And she seems to know everyone. And how come she knows so much about whodunnit huh? Guilty as charged.

Anyway today Thursday 4th July 2013 I was still a bit mullered.

I wanted to do something though. Gave the lighter 250 lb gripper a tickle. But no I didn't have the strength to really go for it. So I put that aside and did my Strand Pulling/ Expander routine again. Which is becoming a regular Thursday thing.

Expanders/ Strands are really Olde Sckool. Guys like Inch, Sandow, Goerner and Saxon were messing with these things a hundred or more years ago. In fact Thomas Inch used one with 600 lbs of resistance as part of his strength demos.

I love Strands/ Expanders because the tension gets greater the more you approach lockout. And the feeling is more intense than lifting barbells etc. Strands etc are harder work than conventional iron.

So I was using my trusty Powerpushup2. Still going strong with 240 lbs of resistance - since 2005. Session was 40 minutes including warmup.

Warmup - 40 lb Pilates band for about 5 minutes continual front and back pressing. Got a pump here! My rotator cuffs swelled considerably. So did my rear delts.

More "Strand Pulling" with the 240 lb resistance cables (Powerpushup2)- Working mainly Traps, Shoulders, Upper Back, Triceps and core from Obliques, Deep Abdominals etc.

Chest Expander (Palms in Grip). I've mentioned a few times that 240 lbs resistance is too light for some of the bigger presses etc. And it's way too light for any pulls (apart from the Archer's Pull which is a combined push and pull)

Pull all the way out and lock your shoulder blades together for a slight pause. That last bit of extension is the key to really getting the most out of the motion strengthwise.

Side Shoulder Press

240 lbs is too light for me to do a hefty side shoulder press. I need more resistance. Even in my 'weak as a kitten' state these are still too light.

x 10 (With a 20 second hold near lockout - with a 10% bend in your arms)

I DIDN'T DO a Bow and Arrow (Archer's Pull) or any Bent Over Shoulder Rows etc. And did instead a combination of:

Standing Flyes followed by Standing Overhead Press.. A Superset none the less.

The Standing Flyes are pretty tough. You do the same palms out and flip over your back to get into position. Then you pull out, across and up to squeeze your pecs. Your whole body gets worked. It ends like the completion of a Low Cable Row. At face height. Palms facing each other - Hard

Standing Vertical Press (The closest I can get to a Shoulder Press with this contraption. You have to spread your lats to hold the thing in place. Definitely more like 79.7375 angle):

Single Arm Front Shoulder Raise

Really hard trying to raise this to face level. I just place one end of the Strand under my foot and pull out and up with the other end. And just hold it at maximum for 10 seconds.

Powerpushup

Haven't one these for ages. They're a Total Body Exercise. Really hard to do. Like a normal pressup-pushup. But with 240 lbs of resistance for at least some of the range of motion.

x 8 + 10 seconds static hold at near lockout (10% bend)

Fun. And felt 'Ready to Battle a Kingdom' afterwards. Squat Stretches and Yoga Stretch lunges to finish.

Still not consuming any supplements such as Creatine. Haven't been for 3 months now. Got shot of 2 kilos when I stopped taking the all-in-one-powder (Creatine, HMB etc). Water weight.

Weight - Currently 103 kgs/ 226.5 pounds/ 16 stone 4 pounds. Which is the lightest I've been since 2007.

2 cups of hibicus and rose hip tea BUT NO choccie digestives (not even Gluten-Free ones) for the win...:mad:

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Glad to hear you're feeling better! :)

19. SoKKlab

Thank you. Not quite back to normal yet. But getting there. Yesterday's 'Strand Pulling/ Expander' Session felt great.

Since I got back into regularly doing hefty cable resistance my Rotator Cuff problems have completely disappeared. Which is excellent too.

Even though it's only been a coupla days - I've noticed though my skin is much better, stomach is flat.

Haven't been gluten-free since 2008. So I'd forgotten the benefits to it. Just need to make sure I don't overdo the dairy consumption and all should be fantastico.

Looking forward to the gym tomorrow.

Good Luck

20. SoKKlab

Scorchio Von Rippage

Saturday 6th July 2013

In this Episode:

- Do You Really Need a Running Commentary?
    - Wot Not for When Too Hot

Twas hot and getting hotter. 28 degrees C (Double it and Add 30 then take off a few to get Fahrenheit - So about 83 F). Nice warm walk. Sweat breaks out when I get in the muggy gym.

A thorough warmup. Shoulder dislocations with a broomstick, teacups, Standing twist with broom stick etc. No tightness at the elbows. And my back was at approx 85.9997 %. Monitoring for twingery.

Gosh as soon as I started repping I wanted to do something else!

Squats

50 kgs x 10 (paused and resisted negs on all reps)
    90 kgs x 7 (ditto)
    130 kgs x 6 (ditto) (first 3 sets fast 1 and half minutes between sets)
    175 kgs x 4 (felt warmed up properly so increased weight more between sets)
    200 kgs x 3
    205 kgs x 2

Nearly the same as last week. Except I did a bit more in the mid-range. And I couldn't be bothered doing more than doubles on the last sets. Too hot.

I'm still stopping myself really banging some really hefty iron on...Again you can see I'm now squatting more weight safely. I went up a few kilos on the middle sets particularly. Hard sweaty work but worth it.

You might remember my goal is to go back up through 220 kgs. Then back up to 260 kgs plus. When I'm confident my back is fully sorted. No idea when that'll be.

I must take it easy here. And build my ability to 'rep out' in my current middle range. When I can do 6 reps at 220 kgs then I'm ready to go back up through 260 kgs plus.

Okay so a weightlifting Dad brought his 11 year old son to the gym. He then spent ages showing his son how to do bent over shoulder rows wrong! And kept commenting on what I was doing to his son.

This would be cute. Just I'm trying to concentrate. And this barbell is gonna be pretty heavy.

"Oh now he's doing a Rack Pull - That's for your Back"...No It Bloody Isn't. A Deadlift (from whatever position) is a combined Legs, Core, Back lift...

Really, it's great you brought your kid to the gym. I envy you at this point. But please stop giving a running commentary to say youngsta. It's really not helpful when I'm lugging 265 kgs plus the Bbell to hear you say

"Oh you've got watch you don't break your back" - STREWTH!

Deadlifts - 5 pins down (just below knee height)

As part of my Deads cycle I'm staying at 5 Pins Down. Until I hoik 300 kgs from there for 3 reps again. Then I'll drop to 6 pins down (mid-shin). And then to the floor again. This is a change from my initial plan. I would normally been 'all from the deck' by now.

But I'm building my trap static holding and lat integrity. I'm getting my traps used to holding pretty hefty loads. Bit by bit. If it was all about leg strength I could easily do 315 kgs plus and not sweat it. And also making sure my technique is bang on. Talking of which...

Look up as you grasp the bar. Jut your chin out up and forward. As if trying to push it against the wall (stabilises your spinal muscles). This'll make your back a nice 45 degree angle.

Your shoulders directly over the bar. Which is over your midfoot - your instep.
    Roll your shoulders slightly back and down. So your lower back arches.

Bend your legs by about 20%. Push your **** out - This will spring load your hamstrings (they should feel tense). As if trying to get your **** against the wall behind you. Your mid-shins should now touch the bar.

Rock back on your heels (This stops your butt coming up first and turning it more into a barbell row). The weight pops up. Push the planet away from you through your heels and centre foot. As you continue to look up. Stand up.

Your Lower Back (Spinae Erectors) SHOULD NOT HURT. Worked yes, Hurting no. Your Lats (lower lats particularly should really feel worked - And your Hammies should feel they've worked Hard)

120 kgs x 8 (all sets are double ohand grip)
    170 kgs x 6 (Straps from here - My grip not a happy bunny today)
    220 kgs x 8
    265 kgs x 5

More reps in the mid-range. Only did 4 sets. Lower Reps too. Couldn't be bothered doing more. Did I mention it was and I was hot.

Single Arm Dumbell Row

One Leg Bent on The Bench. Look Forward and Up to engage your spinal muscles. Back flat. Strict form no junking or springing crud.

You really want to work your Lats (easily the biggest of your back muscles and much bigger than most folk think - They join the Spinae Erectors at Spinal Base and Insert under your traps and shoulders at the top of your back).

Strictly bring the DB up and in to your Serratus/ Upper Oblique. Keep your shoulders and traps down. Stop them hunching. You do not want to turn this into an Upper Back exercise. Your Rhomboids etc get enough support work from these and all other back work as it is.

140 lbs (per arm obviously) x 6
    145 lbs x 5
    150 lbs x 4

Seated Row

Same form for all rows. Traps and Shoulders down. No hunching.

You'll see a lot of Bodybuilders do these with an extended range of motion. Rocking back and forth as if rowing a boat. That's fine for them. As they want that extra range of motion. Me though nuhuh tsk tsk.

Strict row into the serratus/ upper obliques. Keep your upper body still. Make sure your knees are 20 % bent.

115 kgs x 8
    125 kgs x 6
    145 kgs x 5 (used hooks last 2 sets as didn't want more bicep involvement)
    165 kgs x 3 + Static Contraction at the top for 5 seconds

Pull Ups

Me x 14

No more time. Wanted to do a decent bagwork sesh.

Bagwork

20 minutes of Zigzagging between the Floor-to-ceiling-ball. been repaired. Still fast and still assaulting me. Speedball and Bag.

Worked the bag with my drop step and falling step for single 'jabs' -knockdowns with the lead.

Then 3 and 4 straight punch combos. And shovel hooks. And some jumping/ springing knee (chop down with your shin for knockdown power). Some fast sets of Roundhouses hammered in. And the Kuching Roundhouses from the deck to finish.

Once again didn't get all that I wanted done. But that's the breaks when you weight lift once a week. Hobleedinhum.