Why the lack of competition?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by nintyplayer, Oct 2, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Cool, I did not know that. I am here to learn :)

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is where I, and I'm sure many others, have a problem with Aikido.

2 onto 1 sparring is hard. The little guy chases you around the dojo until you're against the wall and the big guy them sticks one on you.

What can be gained from 8 men attacking one at a time, when 2 men can push you so much harder?

3. David Harrison

Pop your toys back in the pram and read what I write.

I never said damage.

Please tell me the benefit of repeating rote movements. I already said that I have heard good arguments, usually from jwt. What are yours?

I'll ask again, and please acknowledge that I have politely ignored your snarky tantrums, but how do you feel you benefit from the training you receive?

This is a discussion, not an argument, as far as I'm concerned.

4. David Harrison

I've never seen them do it at one time.

The only videos I've seen, they politely queue one at a time.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I've done similar , and in my experience the pressure is very much down to the teacher.
    Imagine 8 people around you (some times not numbered in sequence) with the teacher calling out the number , at early levels the numbers should be called fairly slowly and be used to get the person in the middle moving , as the student progresses the the numbers should be called with less gap between them and always making the person in the middle turn in the most awkward way.
    I wouldn't advocate it as good multiple opponent training , rather a drill to get the person in the middle to use good , economical movement , and keeping good awareness of their environment

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

LOL one minute Aikido is being slated for not having any competition or sparring and then it's Aikido sparring is too hard, impossible and offers nothing of merit.

What's gained from it? You're forced to constantly adapt. You're not given time to set anything up. You can't rely on any sort of game plan. You are forced to deal with the attacker there and then instinctively. There's no time to think.

You're attackers also share the burden. So they don't get tired after a few minutes of constant attacking. They're pretty much always fresh. While you on the other hand are gradually being ground down. And then when you're knackered and want to stop. They keep coming. And you simply have to deal with it.

It builds spirit and character.

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Fine clearly I misunderstood. If something is detrimental in the context of the neuromuscular system it's normally damaging in some way. So if you're not talking about damage I don't know what you're talking about.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It sounds like a variation on a "numerada" drill we do in our reading of JKD/FMA

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Like this?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3bjyvjPfQQ"]Thursday Night Kali - Numerada #1 - YouTube[/ame]

The idea is similar in that you always want to force the guy in the middle to keep turning.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes - that is one on one numerada. We do that plus we also do the same thing with multiple feeders

We also do mass attack, similar to this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Z2xQ1SR5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Z2xQ1SR5s[/ame]

The intensity has to be dialed down a notch or two - especially with numerada - but there is certainly pressure and adjustment flow development

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Then yes it's a similar/ the same concept.

12. David Harrison

I thought I was clear in saying it was detrimental in terms of training to fight. Apologies if I wasn't.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ok then. I'd recommend you maybe not abuse medical terminology.

I think what you're trying to say is that kata limits a students repertoire. And to a degree it does if it's misused. If it's your only training tool and you never spar in any way or otherwise get some freedom to experiment and put what the kata is supposed to be teaching you to the test.

However we've established that that is not how Aikido is taught. At least not in my experience.

14. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

To make it clear; I enjoy Aikido as a martial arts enthusiast and would welcome studying it in the future. But the following criticism is by far the most poigniant:

"The most common criticism of aikido is that it suffers from a lack of realism in training. The attacks initiated by uke (and which nage must defend against) have been criticized as being "weak," "sloppy," and "little more than caricatures of an attack."

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Where was that taken from?

16. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

From english wikipedia on Aikido

17. David Harrison

No, I was saying more than that.

I was saying that rote body movements give a practitioner a neuromuscular disadvantage.

It has nothing to do with abusing medical terms. I have no qualms about using the term "neuromuscular", because I have very good counsel about using that term. Probably about as good as it gets.

Disagree in an informed way or deal with it.

I'm being blunt, but not from a position of ignorance.

18. icefield

icefield Valued Member

nope you learn the movements individually through shadow boxing, hitting the bag and pads, then practise them with a partner at different levels of intensity , then use the same movements in unrehearsed sparring and low and behold you look almost the same in sparring as you do in shadow boxing and partner drills

And you can find countless clips of the above process going from beginning to end on the dreaded youtube for boxers, thai boxrs and MMA guys what you wont find is videos of boxers practising ijn an unrealistic and exaggerated manner with a complaint partner to learn the key principles of their art then no or very limited clips of them trying said principles out against random attacks/uncooperative sparring

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

the other problem i have is what intensity are they using, ive done similar drills with 4 or 6 people taking it in turn to attack you and not wearing gloves so the attacks are singular and not really with any real intent, ive also done said drill with MMA guys 2 on 1 wearing gloves and head guards and really going to town on me, the two drills are in no way similar as you say

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Fine. Explain your use of the term neuromuscular in the context of this discussion.