Why the lack of competition?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by nintyplayer, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Minor vs major locks is the typical area of conflict in the discussion. Whilst LE use them they are not typically used in high combat situations until the initial confrontation is managed, hence they are a secondary skillset.

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

And even in Aikido, we have to set up the technique before it can be applied. It's very difficult to go straight into a joint lock with a guy who's a bit cagey and erratic. The Aikidoka must dominate and control the situation first. Pin second.

3. Hannibal

"90% of Aikido is Atemi" and all that :)

4. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

Do you think most aikido schools are aware of that quote? Because when I tried aikido they didn't really use punches.

5. Hannibal

It doesn't mean "90% of the techniques" it means "90% of the efficiacy"

6. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

It can mean a lot of things. I think the quote is 70% of Aikido is atemi... but I like the 90% number because, like the hidden part of an iceberg below the waterline, that number can represent the hidden aspects of a martial art meaning that atemi is not something you can just see in Aikido with the naked eye, it includes striking methods that are much more subtle.

On the other hand, the way I see some law enforcement being taught Aikido is that it is 90% pressure points :yeleyes:

7. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Atemi doesn't have to be a punch , our school uses a lot of open hands and knife hands.

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I always liked the definition as it holds a few key meanings for aikido:
    1. Aikido techniques are often incidental and very much a complimentary to a good striking system
    2. Atemi is required for kuzushi and/or distraction as a set up for technique
    3. Many of the controls where you take their balance by control only in training you will actually strike your way through. (ex. iriminage, irimitsuki, hijiate kokyunage)

9. idols11

idols11 Valued Member

Does anyone think Aikido schools that sparred would produce better fighters than traditional schools? And would Aikido start to evolve and change as an art if sparring was introduced?

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

There already is sparring. We call it "randori." Some schools just have low-quality randori. :mad: