Why the lack of competition?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by nintyplayer, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Depends on your syllabus and why I said "certain" gendai arts. :D

I'm not so much on about how Aikido waza can have its roots in the movement of the sword, if that's what you are on about? More that wearing a weapon and being able to bring it to bear whilst preventing the bad guy from doing the same needs certain considerations.

Agree completely. :)

2. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

Yeah I agree completely. Regarding waza roots and the wearing of a weapon, both are included for consideration at the club I train(ed) at. It's not koryu by any means but certain traditions are the backbone of the art and need to be understood.

3. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Whilst you would need to spar to learn fighting yes, sparring has nothing to do with self defence, and actually teaches you skills which are counter productive to pragmatic self protection.

If you listen to the Martial Map pod-cast by Iain Abernethy you will understand the differences between martial arts, self defence and fighting. It is a common mistake to confuse them as one in the same, they are three different things. Once you understand that, you will understand why Aikido-ka (or any art not designed for fighting) has no need to don't spar/compete.

4. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

coming from what is often considered the more martial tradition of Aikikai Aikido my take would be that Aikido is really a method of body conditioning which could be used in a self-defence situation.
    The standard wrist holds are to help you to develop body movements in a safe, controlled environment so that they become ingrained and can be applied automatically in a "real" situation.
    Competition training for me is of limited use since competitions have a set of rules and occur in a controlled environment ( a ring, mat etc) - yes even "no-holds barred" fighting.
    I have used Aikido for SD and it was effective but mainly as a result of the initial body movement rather than any complicated application of technique (iriminage works really well)

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So how do you pressure test it?

6. Phantom Power

Phantom Power Valued Member

To a limited extent, randori. One person in the middle surrounded by the rest of the class, their attacks may be decided in advance or adhoc, your defense may be agreed in advance or adhoc. It's not "no rules" and really depends on the level of the class members but it can be pretty stressful & exhausting. It starts looking nice and quickly gets scrappy but as posted above, you end up with basic body movement as the main act and any technique that appears is a bonus....in my limited experience. I don't necessarily equate it with fighting more than one opponent either, more that the constant attacks from various angles puts you in a stressful situation where you have to keep going. It's also advisable to volunteer first whilst you are fresh :D

But I also need to add I don't train for the "d33dly str33ts" anyway.

Forgot to add, you don't have to just stand there waiting for an attack...you are allowed, even encouraged to strike first to get an opening. Just wanted to put the myth of no initial attacks to rest...even though it wont.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You have to be the most over opinionated, least informed and inarticulate poster since the days of fiercehadou

When you have no clue about what you are talking about it's best to shut up and let the grown ups talk

You have no clue what you are talking about

So shut up

8. Hannibal

Yes and no

Sparring is another drill, but one with a lot more freedom. The problem is that most people think "kickboxing" or "boxing" when it comes to sparring and this colors the "bad habits" viewpoint

Sparring is as simple as one side jabs for three minutes and the other side tries to take them down. Or one side can only grapple one side cando anything. Or anything goes (use with caution). The point is that if Dog Brothers style sparring is possible then you cannot really hide behind excuses of not pressure testing in any system

And for the record Tomiki Aikido does compete, after a fashion

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think this is really important, the term sparring can cover a wide variety of activities and objectives.

Mitch

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Wow, that was a low blow. No-one's that bad.

=====

As a side note, I've actually found the footwork from Aikido more relevant since taking up kickboxing.

11. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

I am guilty of that as well yes, sorry.

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow a fiercehadou callout. You know things are bad

13. rne02

rne02 Valued Member

Found it:-

“The techniques of the kata were never developed to be used against a professional fighter in an arena or on a battlefield. They were, however, most effective against someone who had no idea of the strategy being used to counter their aggressive behaviour.”

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  14. Hannibal

Overall yes they are; in a physical sense no they aren't - they are both physical manifestations of combat. Taking out desecalation, articulation and avoidance strategies the system that trains under pressure will perform under pressure

And the same applies to an "untrained" person excpet you will be able to land it quicker

You are making a dangerous assumption that criminals don't train - they do. Every mug has seen a boxing or MMA fight theses days and many have a handful of moves from same.

Assumption is the mother of all f......ailures

Which can be taken as "suprise your opponent" or "useless against someone with ability" - personally i would go to the former definition, although in context you are advocating the latter

Look at this - it is "sparring" but can you state it is unrealistic?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zuj5jdY-k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Zuj5jdY-k[/ame]

Now compare it to a self-defense "drill" and which do you think prepares you better?

This does not mean anyone who does NOT do the above cannot fight, but that there are optimal methods to train for combat efficiency and sparring/pressure drilling is king amongst them

15. Hannibal

That is admitting that you are an inferior art - I disagree 100% with that statement and it's sentiment and I am not even a karateka

16. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I don't think you should take out de-escalation.

Being told about de-escalation tactics in a lecture hall is not an optimum way to ensure it manifests in a real, adrenaline-filled confrontation.

Pressure testing wins again.

17. Hannibal

You misunderstand me - I mean taking them out of this particular discussion not the systems.

De-escalation etc + pressure test = superior than same without pressure :)

18. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I never thought you would think differently!

It was a clarification for the peanut gallery :)

19. Hannibal

Attaboy!

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i think you make a lot of good points relating to pressure-testing and what that means. but i'd be careful only about the "false confidence" and "disservice" statements. because that would apply to any style, not just aikido.

i'm with you regarding hard sparring (or sparring in general) as a stepping-stone to learning to "fight"--self defense is another thing altogether. i think for a lot of people, aikido can be an incredibly positive experience (it was for me) and at the very least will give them some defensive skills to at least avoid attacks or to fall safely on any surface.