Why the Bible is wrong

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by munkiejunkie, Jan 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Absolutely not.

2. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Ironically evolution and creation theories are stuck with the same problem, they both begin with nothing.

3. samurai1986

samurai1986 Valued Member

The majority of Christians you mention in America are protestants while I am Roman Catholic so I will not answer for them. As for my church, it is because of us that we are not still in Europe engaging in futile battles for land, women, etc. After Rome fell, it was the Church that preserved Civilization. While the Roman territories fell into chaos, the Church found and protected all the artwork, scientific and philosophical writings, and other things on which Civilization had built on till that point. Did you know it was a Catholic monk who is the Father of Genetics, or that the Big Bang theory is Catholic in origin although I believe that has been mentioned on this topic, (btw thanks to whoever did that).

By the way, did you know that before the "Protestant Reformation", no Catholic country charged its citizens more than a 10% tax? Just a minor economic note.

4. Maverick

Maverick New Member

For reference, it's English slang lol.

There is a big difference in codswallop level between saying that energy/matter etc is eternal, and saying that there was a Creator.

That difference is parsimony.

It's a much greater stretch of logic and the imagination to say that 'God' is eternal, than to say that energy or matter is eternal. There's no need to add even more irrationality to the solution by bringing God into it, then you have to deal with the bible, miracles, Jesus, Moses, and all the other supernatural things that supposedly happened but didn't.

So instead of saying God is eternal, if you absolutely must insist that something has been 'alive' forever, why not DNA instead. Because at least we can see DNA. It's much more parsimonious to assume that DNA has been around since the dawn of time, if there ever was one.

You've said this before yourself, how does 'life come from non-life'. Apply this to your scenario of God existing forever. How does that happen? He's eternal, right? So both evolution and atheism, and creationism and theism, both have life from non-life at one point. The difference being the atheist explanation does not require giant leaps of faith and fairytale to believe.

Not that I think DNA, or any kind of 'life' is/was eternal of course. Just showing how silly it is to cop out with the 'xxx was always here' or 'xxx is a mystery' or 'how can we understand xxxx, we're only human' non-arguments.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  5. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Religion and Science can make or break humanity.

Disease Treatment, etc. V.S. Religion Creates Philosophy, etc.

Biochemical Warfare, etc. V.S. Crusades, etc.

You get the gist of it.

6. samurai1986

samurai1986 Valued Member

I'm going to surprize you tekkengod and agree with you on this. I said in an earlier post that Science and religion compliment eachother. So I will stand by that and say that as God created the Universe and hence the rules of Science then science is not an abomination or curse, as long it works for Human Life and not against it. For instance I support Adult Stem Cell Research but not Embrionic Stem Cells.

7. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Not really, the theory of evolution starts with self replicating protiens and goes on from there. We pretty much know the how of things. IF you want to insert God, ask why.

8. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

Where did the proteins come from tho? It's always the origin that is unknown, you can track evolution from then but nothing explains from where those original protein came.

9. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

From atoms. Beyond that, you'd have to start talking to an astrophysicist. If you want to insert God somewhere in there, happy days to you.

10. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Ok, lets dissect this a little further

Disease Treatment: Pros = longer lifespan, saving lives, looking for answers.
    Cons = ? anyone? maybe a few economic drawbacks which are totally acceptable given the results.

Religion Creates Philosophy: Pros = Deeper thinking. Cons = Brainwashing, acceptance of social wisdom, group conformity on a massive scale, abandonment of critical thinking.
    {clearly there are no pros to chemical warfare or the crusades, so lets just play balance beam and application of the negatives}

Biochemical warfare = Has yet applied on a comparitively wide scale, the result of an event already set in motion by economic, political or territorial issues, hence a warfare tactic, not an event in itself.

Crusades: = Completely and totally pointless, a lot of life lost to gain absolutely nothing, millions of people died because someone thought their invsible man has a bigger dick than the other guys invisable man, pointless death.

11. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Good, we agree on something.

Now, science is going to work to advance things, thats what it does. so you could argue til your blue about weather or not the advancement of warfare worked for or against man. ect.

I support Embrionic Stem Cell research, you can't expect to gain theoretical immortality without a heavy cost. Once all the religious nuts back down, you'll be surprised at how politcal correctness will go out he window, we hold the key to pandora's box in our hand, and once again, religion is impeding our progress.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Indeed. Given that something is eternal, 'tis more "parsimonious" to say that the eternal thingy (whatever it is) is alive and therefore life came from life, than to say that the eternal thingy (whatever it is) is not alive and have to explain how life came from non-life. The assumption that the eternal thing is not alive requires that one take an extra step and explain how non-life begets life. That's not good. And it's unnecessary if one instead assumes that the eternal thing is alive to begin with. Theism is therefore more parsimonious and therefore by some people's definition, more rational.

You have it backwards, amigo, but I like you anyway.

13. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Why don't we just give up and say God is the answer to everything we can't understand like they did 2000 years ago?

14. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

Because then the Earth would go back to being flat and having the sun orbit it. As long as there are mysteries people are going to argue about them

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Why would you want to do that? There are some things we can know.
    (Who's being irrational now? :D :Angel: )

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  16. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Wanna make sure Samurai saw this.

17. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Where did the atom come? So evolution has to show where an atom came from and Creation has to explain how a being has "No beginning."

What I really want to know what makes the inside of electrons, proton, and neutrons?

18. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

They are made of energy. Who knows how god fits into our lives, and frankly who really cares. Our scientfic time could be much better spent finding cures for AIDS. On that note I have a quality joke to insert here, but cant, too naughty :D.

19. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Cons for disease treatments: side effects of the drugs used. Which usually leads to sometimes fatal side effects or long term affects.

Examining the cons of Religion for philosophy: May cause brain washing. Though, religion does not cause brainwashing that would be man. Infact, the bible supports free thinkers and the right to exercise free will, if anything.

Science: mental warfare does the same thing (brain washing, which science furthers such techniques)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  20. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

You think that the bible promotes free will? ROFL

Religion is the source of persecution and punishment. I think telling people they will burn in hell forever if they dont follow what god says, anti freewill to the max.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.