Why some Yang TaiChi schools might look external

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by soggycat, Jun 15, 2005.

1. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Me too was it some deep taoist thing....................

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Oh Nooooooooooooooooooo,

I've gone dizzy again!!! :bang: :bang: :love:

3. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Absolute - Complete and Utter - Rubbish.On every level and in every way.
    Soggy you really are the least knowledgable person about Taijiquan I have ever encountered - I'm impressed because I've met some real idiots over the years....
    Apparently 'nope'. What entertains me most is that you're so proud of your 'knowledge' too!!! :D
    BTW... OO ARE YER??
    :Angel:

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

I think we've established that el soggio has never done tai chi.

Personally, I think he's a PR person for the Chen family (shhhhh)

5. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

This is a typical example of the “if it’s different from what I know, it must be wrong” mentality
    “Colours” is the British spelling , “Colors” is the American spelling
    Same for labour/ labor, favour/favour
    Not wrong , just different mate.

After all there are more Americans alive than British….so if anyone choses to spell it the American or British way it doesn’t matter…..it’s arbitrary .
    Are you embarrassed for an Aussie to explain English to a POM regarding HIS own language ?

I wonder if you are using the same flawed narrow mentality when learning Tai Chi.
    :woo:

6. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

GEO said:
    Taiji is not logical, its creative - you don't teach an artist to paint - some things are guided to.. If you have a good teacher, communication is key - let be remind you that verbal communication (words) only counts for around 7-8%. Vocal tone is 3-4 times that.etc physical - 55%

Soggycat:
    That TaiJi is logical / creative or not is not nearly as important as the quality of communication between student and teacher. If one's teacher's English proficiency is poor , he is unable to explain the finer points, nuances and subtleties at the higher levels. Add this to “ translation caused loss of information” Isn't it always better to do everything possible to ensure the strongest connection to the source ?

Whilst I agree with the essence of your post , I’m afraid I have to disagree that language is not as important as I make it .

In my own experience ( my teachers are all native Chinese speakers, with varying degrees of English ability) I notice the difference in “learning speed/ achievement” amongst the various students. Clearly the students who progress faster & higher are the ones who speak the native tongue of the teacher.
    The private talk among the non Chinese speaking classmates is “ I wish I spoke Mandarin , or I wish Shifu spoke better English”

This is not something I made up…it is empirical evidence drawn from several different schools.
    However, as mentioned earlier, with External Arts, language issue is not as critical. As long as the student is able to imitate the movements of the teacher, he’d be more or less doing the right thing.

On another note, when I was studying in University, I notice the poorest speakers of English were usually from Hong Kong. Yet they consistently scored the highest grades in Math exams , beating even native English speakers....mainly because math logic is language indepndent.But this is only at the undergrad/ bachelor level. At the highest level ( PHD research) Russian, French and German skills are made mandatory by the Universities . This proves that even Universities recognise that “skills in the language of the source material“ is critical

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  7. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

No, Soccer is more like EMA and as mentioned before, less language dependent than IMA.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  8. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

I wasn't implying. I was indicating.
    I never claimed my Taiji is " sublime"

Also, at the rate you make unsubstantiated claims and misquote on a consistent basis, makes me wonder if you are planning on losing every single case when you beome a lawyer.

Shaolin Horse stance has no place in Wudang Yang TaiJi.

Ask 10 different TaiChi teachers in your city about it.
    Make sure all of them speak Chinese regardless of race.

9. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

Thank God you are not a scientist. Your powers of deduction are amusing.
    :)

10. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Indicating?

No, you weren't indicating, you were implying. Indicating would be pointing it out directly whereas implying would be what you do--make condescending, sarcastic remarks. I guess you don't quite grasp the subtle nuances of the English language. Haven't you noticed that NO ONE on this board has even the slightest respest for you or your opinions? Why don't you ever go into any detail about your own experience with Taiji and enlighten us as to why you think you are so superior? And don't say you don't think you're superior, because it shows in every smirking, condescending, blindingly illogical post you write. Since you are 100% entrenched in your ideas about Taiji and we clearly aren't learning anything from you, why do you even bother posting? The problem with message boards, of course, is that you can say whatever you feel like saying, knowing you are blanketed by cozy anonymity--I can tell Mike Tyson he talks like a girl and nothing happens. But I'm sure if I ever had a conversation with you in real life the temptation to brake your face would be overwhelming.

11. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Soggy...

Wait, all the pieces are coming together... you're from Australia, you claim to practice some magical form of Taiji that doesn't exist, you're full of s-h-i-t......... I KNOW, YOU'RE A MONTAIGUEITE!!!! (Runs screaming from the room.)

You wanna know what Mt. Wudang is now? Its current address should give you a clue:

Wudang Taoist Kung Fu Academy
    Purple Heaven Palace
    Mount Wudang Scenery Zone
    ShiYan City, Hubei Province, China 442714

--A TOURIST TRAP

12. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

And while I'm at it...

THE WHOLE INTERNAL/EXTERNAL THING IS RUBBISH. Ok, if you don't believe me, ask Adam Hsu, a good friend of my Shifu's. He also has practiced Bagua, Xingyi, Taiji, Praying Mantis, Baji, Mizong and many more since long before most of you were born. He's published books in Chinese and English on the subject of Chinese martial arts and has personally travelled around China interviewing and meeting with martial artists of all styles. He was almost singlehandedly responsible for saving the Hulei-jia variant of Chen Taiji from extinction. I have talked with him several times about this in person and his words were (translated into English): "Waijia is just begginer's Kung-fu and Nei-jia is advanced." The only legitimate distinction between the Nei-jia and Wai-jia is that the so-called "Nei-jia" arts show influence of "Daoist" martial arts, whereas most "Wai-jia" schools are derived from Shaolin in some way. THAT'S ALL. Statements like "Chen is 50% external," therefore, are also utter rubbish.

13. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Youre really quite divorced from reality arent you...

Firstly it isnt mastery to parrot... (is this how you practice your taiji... if so shame on you)...

2ndly to recite something isnt understanding...

3rdly singing skill has nothing to do with linguistic skill... and I quite agree that a trained opera singer is far superior in singing than a shower singer... (ie me for eg)...

The hairs arent being split... the analogy just sucked in the first place...

14. Shadowdh

Because we all know that if an old chinese master says something its got to be true right...???

Also this applies to Taiji... or am I mistaken in believing that it was kept secret till YLC...

15. Shadowdh

Hell no... he represents the wet noodle lineage which has to stay mystical and secret so only the "worthy" can carry on that particular art...

16. Shadowdh

Both my teachers are Chinese... their english is not so good to fair and they both manage to pass on the necessary knowledge... the majority of both classes are non Chinese or non Chinese speaking... but not once have I heard someone say I wish he could speak better english... all the comments I have heard have been regarding how good the level of teaching is...

also re the language for maths thing... I suspect its not because the nuances of the language are responsible for passing on the mathematical knowledge rather because most of the source material is in one of the langs featured... plus the fact that maths is supposed to be a universal lang... and considering that one uni there says French, German, Russian oh and if you dont like those then Italian... (paraphrased)...

17. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

First, if you are going to quote me, please make sure that it's my words you are quoting. Congratulations! You've just made yourself look like a fool. :eek:

Who do you study with?
    What style do you do?
    How long have you studied?

We all want to know so that we can avoid them! :D
    But seriously, how do we know that you have anything to back up your statements? We are left feeling that you have never studied (outside of the covers of magazines, books etc.), and just repeat what you see elsewhere based on daft assumptions and know nothing about the subject. Prove us wrong, or don't. Actually don't as I don't care. You're posts are going nowhere, but they do start a good argument.

And congratulations for a second time for your complete amputation of your sense of humour! Obviously irony is just another way of saying steely or stony isn't it? :D

18. pete_e

pete_e New Member

Oh the irony!!!!! :rolleyes:

19. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

ROFLMAO!!! :D:D:D

20. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Onyomi - I can guarantee soggy is not.

Look at the history of posts in the IMA/Tai Chi section... sc tends to froth at the mouth when we mention Mr M...., so we sealed the flamebait threads under threat of bannishment.

Of course you two can vent your spleen about teachers via PM if it pushes your buttons.