Why People Fear Doing Combat Sports Despite Regular Sports Like Baseball Having Higher Injury Rates?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by SlamDunkerista, Aug 30, 2022.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I just realised it could look like I was advocating for not playing sports if you attend a martial arts class.

I definitely wasn't! A couple of weeks off for a sprain or whatever is no big deal. It's a hobby. People should do as much physical exercise that makes them happy as they can.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My experience along the lines of the recent issue brought up of inactivity, there is chronic pain from doing nothing too. I had a roommate many years ago who thought I was stupid for doing martial arts due to injuries I would get from time to time. Thing is, she had chronic debilitating back pain ALL the time from not exercising at all. It caused her to call out from work sometimes.

I would rather risk injury from activity, than have pain from inactivity.

Granted, it was not technically an "injury" but in reality of how it affects ones life, not that different.

Just saying, you risk pain issues no matter what you do, even if you do nothing.

Mitlov and David Harrison like this.
  3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

David Harrison and Mitlov like this.
  4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Absolutely. And it's also why martial arts, imho, should provide multiple benefits outside of combat effectiveness.
    I got into martial arts because I was a nervous teen, afraid of conflict and violence.
    And yet outside a few angry words and the odd bit of pushing and posturing haven't had a "fight" in decades.
    But I've picked up multiple injuries from doing martial arts. A couple of broken bones, a few mild concussions, 1 bad concussion, various stitches, strains and a bad lower back that dogs me to this day.
    Although some of these things are maybe due to age, sitting all day, etc and may have happened anyway I've no doubt that I'd have been physically better off not doing martial arts at all. If my sole aim was to save myself from physical harm.
    It's a weird dichotomy that in order to stop myself potentially being hurt in a fight I embarked on an activity that caused me physical damage.
    BUT...and it's a big but...I've got so much from doing martial arts I wouldn't go back and change a thing. It was worth it.
    The connections with people, experiences, confidence building, self knowledge, going on courses, seminars, meeting truly inspirational people and managing to do things I wouldn't think possible when I first started.

aaradia likes this.
  5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

In fairness, it seems that when horse-riding goes bad it goes REALLY bad.

If I ever have children, they'll be allowed to do full-contact combat sports long before I'll allow them anywhere near a horse.

Mitlov likes this.