Why oh why Pride??

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Jamo2, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

Ive watched a few UFCs now, and a few Prides, and EVERYBODY ive spoken to prefer pride big time over UFC.
    I just cant see it myself. pride is poorly structured compared to UFC.
    Its not as fast paced, the fights arent as thrilling as would be expected.
    It would be a brilliant BJJ tournament, but MMA just doesnt fit.
    AND, whats going on with the ropes? Supposed to be ULTIMATE fighting, yet when you get too close to the ropes you gotta stop and move to the center of the ring?
    UFC obviously doesnt have this problem with the cage, they were the clever ones.

2. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

I really enjoy them both. Dont really have a favorite. Anything that has fighting and im there; boxing, UFC, Pride, K1. If had to pick I would have to say K1 is better, I know its not mma, becuase stand up fighting is much more interesting to watch. To me anyway.

3. Pika

Pika New Member

Pride is better.

It has a much better stable of fighters.

4. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Nuh Uh!!! WWE is bestest!

5. Pika

Pika New Member

Sorry, I stand corrected :)

6. Nerevar

Yeah, you never see Pride guys make full use of the ring's turbuckles.

7. Bushi51

Bushi51 New Member

Pride has more fights in the promotion. UFC does to much talking inbetween matches. The only problem with Pride is some of the fights are works. :(

8. Adam

Adam New Member

There are also no "freak fights" in the UFC. The Japanese, on the other hand, LOVE their freak fights! Bob Sapp anyone?

9. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Yeah I prefer PRIDE.

I think that stand-up fighting is more exciting than grappling...but then I would.

I do think that a fighter should use the spiked shoulder pads of the Legion of Doom

10. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I like Them Both

But I feel The Ring is Better for the Fan View The Ropes
    don't restrict Your Site as Much.

Having Fought in both My comments as a Fighter are this.

In The Cadge Iwas Able To Drive My apponent into & When
    He Tried To get Of I was able to Brake his Balance & bring the Fight to The
    Ground, When I fought in The Ring My Oppent acutly Used The Rope To to Stay up longer eventuly he took me to the Ground But That was his Mistake.

I feel The Ring is Safer for Fighters, I have Seen Fighters get cut from The Cadge.

Soon The will Be an Organazation That Does Both Ooooooooo
    Wait The WWE does That (Just Kidding) But it's Not a Bad Idea

11. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Yeah i prefer UFC to Pride, i know everyone says Pride has better Heavyweight fighters but UFC has better fighters in all the other classes. Plus i also prefer the lighter fighters anyway.

12. Don Davies

Don Davies Valued Member

They all suck now.
    Look at last years pride GP...it was so much better.
    K-1 lost a ton of money on there last show and it's wasn't to good to watch.
    UFC is pretty bad, they look like they are throwing fights togeter at the last minnute.
    The worst would be WWE, I can at lease watch UFC, K-1 and Pride but I can't watch WWE for more then 5 minnutes without leaveing the room.

13. Jamo2

Jamo2 The Louie Vitton Don

What do you mean by Freak fights??
    And i dont see how you can say UFC has too much talking in between fights.
    Pride has twice as much stuff going on in between and it reminds me of WWE, where as UFC is more serious, you'll never see Couture spank Bas Rutten in UFC :rolleyes:

14. Pika

Pika New Member

Pride certainly has far better Heavyweights.

I would argue that it also has stronger fighters in the other weight divisions. UFC has no champions at the moment in the lighter divisions, what does that say?? They have all left to Pride or K1......

15. Nerevar

A real Mortal Kombat tourney would pwn all!

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

imho, pride fc is better produced. it has, on the average, a better fight card and line-up than the ufc. also, they have a better line-up of fighters.

the only downside of pride fc are the ring girls. too skinny. no curves.

17. Adam

Adam New Member

Freak fights: Putting in fighters who look interesting over actually skilled fighters. See CroCops fight vs Dos Caras Jr and Bab Sapps fight against Minotauro. There was a 150 pound weight difference between them for chrissakes, you can't tell me that's a sensible matchup.

18. K93200

K93200 Banned Banned

Is weight difference really a big deal, I mean size don't really matter does it?

19. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Pika what do you mean by they dont have champions in the UFC? :confused:
    And what about fighters like matt hughes, Randy couture, Titio ortiz, chuck liddell? these are some awsome fighters.

20. Pika

Pika New Member

Matt Hughes is no longer the champ, beaten by bj penn, who has left for K1.

Busta, middleweight champ, has left for Pride

Vitor, current UFC light heavy champ, negotiating a fight with silva in Pride.

Pulver, champ at the time, left due to contract problems.

Speaking of Randy, he vacated the heavy title a while back due to contract problems.

The reality is, all the champs, are paper champs.

Those fighters you mention are all great fighters. But what about the weight division champs?