why not gracie academy?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by roninmaster, Mar 30, 2010.

1. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

ok so when top fighters are training for there fights certain gym names allways come up. Millitech, the pit, etc. but what i dont understand is why there so few if any professional fighters who train at the gracie academy in California. its even run by the ufc creator. yet they are never heard of. is it because of different mind sets? where gracie jiu jitsu guys might focus on self-defence more than MMA? or possibly a dispute between Rorian Gracie and the UFC or what but it doesnt make since to me. any ideas?

2. Raven001

Raven001 New Member

My guess would be because those are specific mma gyms where they can train for mma and the gracie academy is just for Jiu Jitsu

3. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

oh, this should be good.

hint: rorion is not popular outside of his own insular system, for a reason.

edit: for a whole lot of reasons.

4. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

If you want the answer, you can find it on a martial art website called bullshido.

5. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

The Gracie Academy does not teach MMA. Only GJJ, which focuses more on the self defense aspect of BJJ. I've heard alot of stories of Gracie Bara and Carlson bluebelts destroying Gracie Academy bluebelts.

6. Omicron

Omicron is around.

As far as I know, many of those stories are true. I think I remember hearing a story of a white belt from our school (Gracie Barra) going down and tapping out blues.

7. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I had a feeling it wasn't just gossip. The Gracie Academy does not evolve like other BJJ schools.

8. roninmaster

sorry dude i dont go on bullshido. everytime i went i faced more ******** from the mods, then from being called out on justifiable skepticism. i had a Mod insult me and my family for posting a topic in the wrong section.Thats it! there's no need for that, and your not cool for doing it. so i prefer to stay far away from there.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

You don't have to post anything there, roninmaster. The info is already there for your reading pleasure.

Korpy: sad, but true. Although, our GB branch is notorious for being a bit stingy on the belt promotions, so it's possible some of our white belts would beat blues at other schools, too.

10. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Plus GB school's students prove themselves by entering competitions. Gracie Academy..not so much.

11. Linds

Linds Valued Member

Got a link? I searched but didn't see anything likely.

12. roninmaster

well i searched it, and the most i found was a sherdog thread. most of them agreed Gracie academy was a pretty good school. a lot of the Gracie combatives program was referenced. since its used a lot for military, and police training.As well as Relson gracie for some reason. So what you guys are saying is that gracie academy doesn't evolve? but they still teach the same jujitsu they have been for decades and yet at least one of there family members places in top 3, in abu dhabi. It just doesn't make a lot of since to me?

13. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

step one, stop reading sherdog.

14. roninmaster

i dont usually. I google'd gracie academy vs gracie barra and it came up.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

The Gracie Academy hasn't evolved. They do the same BJJ, or should I say GJJ (rolling my eyes at that) that Helio taught.

Here's some key points.

They don't use innovative or "new" techniques. So good luck finding rubber guard, De La Riva guard, a good amount of leg locks or anything like that.

They rarely (if ever) do no gi.

They don't really enter competition.

There whole game is just a step below Gracie Bara, Carlson Gracie, or others.

16. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

17. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showpost.php?p=341873

18. Linds

Linds Valued Member

D'oh. I'd actually read that bjj vs gjj article before.

19. roninmaster

wow, dude did his homework. However some questions:

while i am in no way saying that he made all of this stuff up, does he have any evidance to some of his claims. like some fight videos of BJJ vs GJJ guys?

also is this why the gracies are so seperated and spread out? Is it because of some of them wanting to evolve the art, while others are want to be purist to helio's way? he reference Carlson's guys alot. so are Rorian & carlson jr in some dispute?

and however though he makes some valid points calling GJJ BS is not true( and not called for) though i do BJJ and not GJJ i know that as some guys hear have reference GJJ guys are more self-defence oriented instead of sport. While this is no way trying to be an umbrella term putting them in the same place as many wannabe Ninja guys, and masters of supposed killing blows. in order for them to be BS id expect little to nothing they teach to be practically applicable. Followed by a bunch of theoreticaly devestating techniques, that cant be practiced with or used in sparring for fear of killing oppoenents. they still sparr, and royce has still kicked major **** back when UFC was alot less kind. So calling GJJ while it may indeed certanly be inferior to BJJ- BS. Is BS in itself.

20. pmosiun

pmosiun Valued Member

The sport vs self defense argument is BS because if you look at the Gracie in Action and Royce's fight, you would notice they finish their opponent on the ground the same way as so called sport BJJ people. They use the mount, the armbar, the chokes, the same things you learn in other BJJ schools.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010