why is he making me teach?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by sprint, Apr 14, 2007.

1. sprint

sprint Banned Banned

why is by bjj instructor making me teach classes?

sometimes my bjj instructors pulls me off to the side at the beginning of class and tells me to teach the class for the day. he does this and then leaves.

why is he doing this? is he being lazy? is he doing this so he could go home and watch tv or something?

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

more information....

how long have you been learning with you instructor...

are you more adanced than your classmates etc.etc.....

3. cowzerp

cowzerp Valued Member

He's taking the ****, your going to miss out on instruction while he'll still be getting paid for the class your taking-not very professional..

4. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

Does he pay you at all?

5. ninjapiratecapn

ninjapiratecapn Est. 1986

If he's not paying you for this, or at least giving you free instruction, then he's just being a lazy asshat. You should demand to know why he wants you to teach, and unless he has a very good reason, you should just tell him "NO."

6. Fishbone.

Fishbone. Banned Banned

I agree. No need to be nasty about it however.

At BJJ they have different people teaching at different times. You only need a blue belt to teach ( One year ) but we have purple as a minimum here.

7. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

If you're just teaching beginners and you're getting something out of it (pay, free or at least discounted classes etc), then that's understandable. But if not, and its a regular occurence, then your instructor is taking liberties - you're not paying him so you can teach classes, you're paying him to teach you. Make that clear: whatever ever else the instructor is (friend outside of class etc), he's also technically your employee, so needs to provide you with the service you paid for.

8. Victoria

Victoria Pretzel In Training

I think even if he is just teaching beginners, what's the rest of the class getting out of it while the instructor buggers off??

That word will travel! :D

9. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I meant a beginners class - if it was a mixed session with the blues and up just sitting around watching the white belts, then yeah, that would be pretty crappy.

10. EternalRage

EternalRage Valued Member

Yep if you are teaching beginners it may be helpful to you. In residencies for medicine, the mantra is "watch one, do one, teach one."