Why is Christianity organized like it is?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by tbubb1, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

You know, I think that's the first thing I've heard from Gerard that I absolutely agree with. :)

I'll try answer Wali, but my meditation practice is very weak at the moment, but perhaps that means that we're in similar boats and that our current experiences relate more. :)

I think that there's two types of meditations.
    There's meditation of tranquility where you try to clear your head of everything. Not be blocking out thoughts and emotions, but by letting them go, dissaparate so your mind is free from pre-conceptions.
    After a good session of tranqility meditation, everything seems clear and fresh like you've not experienced it in a long time - breathing, looking at a window, standing up... - I get that a little... I'm not well practiced yet but early days. :)

I think that the other type, I think, is meditation of insight.
    I think that's just basic reasoning so it's fairly natural to me.
    The thing is, without the tranquility, it is difficult to reason clearly, especially when you many desires and prejudices fogging your view of the world.

But it's not that you have to master one before the other, because by practising both, they gradually help you become better at each other, and both are vital for your devellopment.
    Tranquillity to keep your vision clear and insight so you can make sense of what you see.

That is my understanding of it so far.
    Ofcourse, I might have it ALL wrong! :)

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi Strafio,

Thanks for your explanations.

I don't wanna open a can of worms, but will give you my honest opinion.

I see a lot of people using meditation to escape from their issues, and sitting in a relaxed position, eyes closed, lowers the blood pressure, relaxes the body, increases oxygen levels to the brain etc... and temporarily detracts from their problems. This gives them a sense of well being, which is all fair and good, but the same problems they were escaping will still be waiting for them when reality strikes.

Meditation should be used to discern things. It should allow you to helps others, making meditation practical. I can't see the point of going to live in a mountain, medidating for 30 years, attain a level of "inner peace" (brought about by little contact with other humans), and not be able to help anybody. When we meditate, we should "receive" pieces of wisdom that we can then go an put to good use for the help of others.

This is a VERY basic explanation, but I have found that in doing so, I not only strengthen my connection with my Creator, but are also able to put the meditation for the servitude and help of others.

Just my 2 cents.

Wali

3. Strafio

Strafio Trying again...

You're right, perhaps with a slight mis-perception of meditation.
    The tranquility meditation, like you said, clears your head of everything including your problems and gives you that sense of inner-peace.

Then you are ready to takle your problems from a fresh perspective.
    Because you have detached yourself from it, you start fresh with no emotions or worries attached and can tackle the problem for what it is.
    I think that's the insight meditation, where you manage to piece together your wisdom.

I think that you're right, that a lot people use it as a form of escapism, rather than using it as a tool to tackle life with.
    But each to their own way of living, right? :)

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

NO!! MY WAY IS THE ONLY WAY!! :p