Why if I study karate and I get beat does karate suck?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 17, 2005.

1. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

its not the art it is the person doing the art

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

lol... I cant say that i've ever met any geeks at any of the ninpo dojos I've been to. Although, there have been lots of marines, dea agents, and.... a dancer.

In fact, I have to say that the dorkiest of dorks were in my wing chun class! haha, strange coincidence.

3. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

You have actually have girls at your school!! :eek: Damn! I gotta change Martial Art!

----------
    I wonder what MA actually has the highest female to male attendance ratio and what MAs have the most male attendance ratio. Hmmmm....

4. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Haha, theres nothing sexier than a hot chick that does martial arts :D

5. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

Especially BJJ.

6. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Actually it is more of a Kung Fu/Ninjutsu phenomenon, at least in Brazil. Athletic people usually go straight to judo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing: freaks and misfits go to lots of kung fu styles (the weirder the better) and to fringe arts such as ninjutsu and Krav Magah.

I am sure this has nothing to do with the efficiency of the arts itself, but it does seem like social outcasts feel safer saying they do "The Ancient and Esoteric Art of Lohan Family Sacred Serpent Gung Fu which is too deadly to spar with and which I won´t show you". Apparently kickboxing is too plain for geeks.

PS: in my experience, the greatest geeks (pencil necked, no girlfriend, not many friends either) were indeed doing Wing Chun. I suppose the central line theory makes them feel both clever and dangerous, poor bastards.

7. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Incidentally, I am a geek myself, and proud of it. It´s just that I do have a social life, a job and a girlfriend, so I feel entitled to making fun of geeks who don´t.

PS: I do not practice WC anymore, I have been doing Muay Thai for two years.

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Actually, my PM instructor trains the local roller derby teams in kung fu.

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Most of the guys in my class are dorks, but they are like you WCL - dorks with girlfriends and friends . . . oh yeah, and jobs too. Aside from the roller derby girls, 3/5 of the guys in my class are engineers. So I guess that says something.

mmm hmmm . . . me too ;)

9. alienlovechild

alienlovechild Valued Member

Mixed martial arts isnt mixed martial arts, its kickboxing and Brizilian waxing or whatever. Its a particular style that is all about sparring and not actual fighting. PM, the PM I did many years ago, is geared to actual fighting. If a MMA tries to grapple a good PM practitioner they are going to find their jaw very quickly separated from their head.

"Boxing is the best with hands" ... give me a break. Boxers used to come in regularly to PM and would always get smashed. They couldn't work out why they were getting their arses kicked so easily. I teach Taiji/Bagua in a Boxing Gym. I did a "fitness" class with the boxing training, and apparently I can punch much harder than any of the boxers there, so he told me. I was putting his shoulder out. He wanted to know what I was doing. Plus they fight with gloves on, which totally changes the situation from an actual fight to sport.

I see the MMA ppl at my gym all the time, usually ex-football palyers who think because they do some kickboxing with a little jujitsu they are hard as. I watch them train, same "sparring" mentality as other sport martial arts. None of them can throw a decent punch, not over a short distance, they all do these massive roundhouse kicks off the back leg, slow as, which anyone with half a brain would just walk through. They have no sense of timing, they go back when they are attacked half the time, which would be death in an actual fight. They never even try to strike when they are being grappled, probably because they cant strike over a short distance. Their sparring simply shifts from a boxing/kickboxing match to a wrestling match.

10. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

alienlovechild

I teach a southern style, Krav Maga and have several fights in both MT & MMA.

your comments are too sweeping...
    your opinions to rigid

you are comparing people you see in a GYM with expert fighters like those seen in pride? you think you hit as hard as crocop, rutten, tyson (since you hit harder than all the boxers at your little gym, lol)

get real
    and get educated before you post...
    you sound like a fool

11. DarthSamurai

DarthSamurai Banned Banned

bwahaha.

you're funny.

Any proof of you ever beating any decent boxer in any fighting situation? I thought not.

Dont like gloves, dont like "sport MMA rules" ?(even though there are less than any training you're doing) then there are plently of underground gloveless no rules fights around the country. Shonie Carter put out a DVD a while back with him fighting in some.

I wont hold my breath waiting for you to actually go out and fight a MMA guy and film your humiliation, Though it would be fun to see you slammed on your head and choked out in a matter of seconds.

You can't learn to fight without fighting, so unless your out on the street every night causing hell and getting arrested....sparring is your best bet.

Me thinks you can't fight worth a damn.

12. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

He may be funny, but...as for your bio:

Martial Arts Style:
    Karate Wrestling Tae Kwon Do Aikido Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Boxing

Sounds like you yourself are a jack of all trades...master of none. You forgot to add armchair-keyboard-commentor-do.

13. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

If so powerful you are why not enter K-1/Pride, and effortlessly defeat the champions using your D34DLY PM skills? You'll become rich and famous. Seriously though...MAP should ban pointless style bashing. A man is just a man a punch is just a punch a kick is just a kick. You honestly need to lay off MA movies and realize that a human being is a human being.

All I know about Baji/Bagua is the book. It claims to be 1,800 years old and was utilized by emperors bodyguards to fend off multiple opponents. There was that show Black Sash Show in which it seemed romanticized as ninjutsu. The idea of twisting past multiple opponents and twisting and turning through them sounds cool, but I think it would take years and years to learn its hard enough to dodge a single punch let alone thousands. I flipped through the pages of the book and saw their reaction drills...it was just like aki-jitsu, and like aki jitsu it looked alot like Kenpo to me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  14. DarthSamurai

ah, I love the over used and poorly thought out "jack of all trades..." line.

you know what that means to me? That I'm well rounded and have spent most of my life training hard in not just one style, but many. Leaving my comfort zone to learn things that a guy like you wouldn't.

I would rather be good at many things, than good at just one. But hey, that's just me. One style doesn't really cut it anymore, as the last 15 years and tons of videos of one stylers getting 'pwned' suggests. Do you have differing evidence, of one dimensional fighters beating well rounded ones? I'd like to see it.

As far as the 2nd part "Master of none"

Can you define "master" for me? I'm having trouble with that. Black belts I've attained show a *certain* mastery of an art, but to sit around calling yourself a "master" if you aren't, I dont know, Mas Oyama, for example... Is idiotic.

And I gotta say, I'm fairly confident that a "jack of trades" like Frank Shamrock, or Jens Pulver, would beat the vast majority of "Masters" any day of the week. I've beaten a few people who's rank in one art exceeded mine in that art as well. NAGA last week in Jersey I got out wrestled but still submitted a better wrestler from my back. Cross training matters

Feel free to try my "master of none" skills if you're in my neck of the woods, I always enjoy a friendly spar with one dimensional fighters who believe their one art is all they need.

oh, and it's not armchair quarterbacking to point any of this out.

Thanks for playing though.

15. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

You were making excellent points and Pwning him untill you asked him to have a friendly sparring session...that makes you seem petty, keep in mind I don't know you and I dont know how good you are. The only thing thats relevant should be the content of your posts. However since he attacked your bio you had a right to defend yourself. Its a message board stop getting personal.

16. DarthSamurai

I dont see what's wrong with a friendly sparring match. Or how it's petty.

I specifically said "friendly" because I wanted to make it obviously clear I was not threatening to kick his **** because of a post on the internet.

Sparring can and should be used to show holes one has in their training, I see nothing wrong with that.

This is not personal, it's all in good fun.

Speaking of Bios..according to yours, you're 76 years old. "pwning". Geezer please!

17. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I guess I was wrong..I apologize.

It was very skillful the way you threw out that bait with the challenge for a sparring match, then to sink in the hook with the 'Thanks for playing though' to signify the game you want to play. It was so good, it was near mastery.

In fact, all told...I would have to say that you are definitely a master-baitor. Well done...

18. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Uh... Why would the MMA guy be able to beat him again? I think maybe i missed that part, or I guess you saw something I didnt...

19. DarthSamurai

You must have been dying to throw that line out.

20. DarthSamurai

Because the hypothetical theoretical mma guy is a jack of all trades, master of none. duh.

But really, I gotta side with the MMA perspective here. You got any video of a one art fighter beating a MMA fighter in *any* hand to hand setting? Street, ring, surface of the moon?

Richard simmons slapping an MMA fighter doesn't count. No backsies.