Why if I study karate and I get beat does karate suck?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by INTERNAL BOXING, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Oyama then sits down at Cap'n K's computer to update "www.people_I've_killed.com" but finds that his arthritic hands can't hit the keys. He manages to access "www.martialartsplanet.com" by headbutting the shortcut keys....

But wait... there's a thread entitled "I pwn yor 5T00p1d karate wiv my 5k1llZ". Sensei Oyama feel his blood begin to boil, but sadly there is no way his mangled digits can type accurately enough to find the user's IP address and kill everyone in his village. Despite repeatedly roundhouse kicking the laptop around the room, the karate master realises that the young upstart's claims remain unchallenged, for in this digital age, all the years of training mean nothing if you can't cuss people across the internet.

There's a lesson in that for all of us.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

better be careful moosey or Oyamas ghost will RUIN your stuff

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Hmmmm... good point, I'll be keeping a close eye on my stuff from now on... :D

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I've seen, how many? Ooohhhh, several MMA fights and in every case a guy lost!

So if style is important MMA sucks the gas out of dead sheeps backsides because they lose 50% of all fights they get into :p :D

Mitch

5. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

But MMA wins 100% (well not technically) of the time in MMA comps. I think that's their point.

*Capt. Karate whispers to TKDMitch*
    Capt. Karate: "Don't say anything like that around here again, it's politically incorrect."
    *nervously looks around for massive 6'6" MMAist UFC fanboy*
    *UFC fanboy catches glimpse of Capt. K. before he hides his head behind the corner of the wall, walks towards Capt. K. with a calm grin on his face lifting him off the ground by his collar.*
    MMAist UFC fanboy: "Ahhh... there you are Capt. Karate, it's time to clean my toilet, I had burritos today."
    Capt. K: Nooo!! NOOOOO!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  6. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

People tend to confuse art with training method. In karate I found that my teacher made no attempt to hold me back. I got through my first few junior kyu grades in 2 months and after a year was going onto adult kyu grades. Certain arts such as a Tai Chi place I contacted (they offered Shaolin KF as well) they deliberately limit what you learn so you can 'capture your chi' or some other stupid rubbish. Another place I saw limited people in what they learnt, saying they weren't ready. Now, if this happens obviously you will have a problem.
    Half of martial arts training is the method, the other half is application. If you cant make use of what you have learnt there is no point in learning it.
    I can to an extent use my extremely limited knowledge of ninjutsu to a reasonably good effect, hence I gained a lot from the few lessons I attended. If I couldn't apply any of it though... then there was little use.

As for praying mantis and MMA... even after 5 years the praying mantis dude would be slapped around. Purely because MMA'ers tend to condition and weight train and train to hurt people a lot. Praying mantis has some of this but that isn't its full focus

7. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

8D

Really, Kyokushin is the proof that high kicks can be trained to be useful and safe (for the one giving them).

8. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

What is your experience with praying mantis? Northern or southern? What flavor?

Where you say the focus of MMA is:

The focus of PM is:

Many TMA styles are a little pigeonholed. One has to address the weakpoints of his or her own style by cross training or by training aspects of their own arts to deal with those weakpoints.

In the PM vs MMA'ist, if the MMA'ist could take the PM guy down before he got his head caved in, he'd win.

9. WingChun Lawyer

WingChun Lawyer Modesty forbids more.

Internal Boxing

1) Why if I study karate and I get beat does karate suck?

You suck. Not karate.

2) How come I don't suck?

You do.

3) Why does everyone blame the system for the practioner of the system that sucks?

I don´t.

4) Which is why I think MMA Style is so popular because it's easy to get good at these arts sooner.

Is it?

5) If you study praying mantis your not going to beat a mma person with six months of training compared to your six months in praying mantis

That´s because you didn´t train as well as you should. Maybe you should change your training regime. Don´t blame the art.

6) but what about after you both have 5 years of training?

The MMA guy will also have 5 years of training, and he will take your lunch money again, if you keep training like a girlie man. Which you should not have done in the first place, as that beating you took after your first six months of girlie training should have taught you. But now you lost five years of your life instead of six months. Shame on you.

7) What do you guys/gals think?

I don´t, it´s policy.

10. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Whats the senario for the grand Mantis vs MMA match up? In the ring? If so what are the rules? If not in the ring then where? In the 'street'? Why would they fight anyway? If they did then whos drunker or angrier or taken more by surprise or more knackered? Most importantly or all, WHOS LUCKIER?!

Ignoring this and assuming that the question is who would be more effective in a self defence situation it would depend on lots of factors again. If the MMA guy likes to shoot and hates to strike then thats great, and very effective for the ring, but its not a great idea when the shootee's mate could be in the offing. Also metal strength, the 'street' is a different situation to the ring, the Praying Mantis guy could be a doorman used to dealing with real violence situations (I genuinely knew a doorman who did PM!)

So in the ring? The MMA guy. For real? Who knows, its quite literally impossible to tell!

11. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thats right- grapplers have no friends

12. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

I was about to say that's a fair point, but then I thought, if you've just hit the ground and the guy's mate is, like, standing right there, how easily can any number of your friends stop him e.g. kicking you hard right in the face.

13. WingChun Lawyer

On the other hand, they DO have plenty of hangers on and prospective girlfriends around.

...incidentally, why am I doing Thai boxing again?

14. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

The whole tma vs mma argument is a silly one really.

Its just common logic. If you put a guy who knows a TMA which only includes strikes against a MMA guy who has extensive training in striking/clinch/ground work, and god knows what else it doesnt take a scholar to work out who will have the upper hand.

Even in MMa fights the guy who only knows boxing (which in a lot of peep views is the best striking art) will have a hard time against the well rounded guy. With exeptions of courese!!

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Lessons learned from this thread - it's not the grappler who has no friends, it's the praying mantis guy!

:D :D

16. WingChun Lawyer

Ever been to a Praying Mantis kwoon? I spent six months doing that, and I´ll tell you, there are almost as many geeks doing PM as there are geeks doing ninjutsu. No girls around.

I´d say BJJ people and MT people have more friends.

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

right so you only train MA to pull birds and look popular. you drone.

18. WingChun Lawyer

Actually no, but thanks for sharing your feelings of social inadequacy.

19. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Am I reading you correctly or reading more into what you are saying here: I'm getting that you are saying Praying Mantis is a crap art for weak and socially inept people (and not in a joking fashion either)?

20. Infrazael

Infrazael Banned Banned

I have no clue what Kwoon he went to. But it's clearly he never cared much in the first place.