Why I Prefer Dating Women Who Are Martial Artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Subconscious Sailboat, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Awesome, that's the spirit!

Congratulations!

Apologising is a bit like making love to a beautiful lady, it doesn't take long, needs a drink before hand, and if your lucky, it will all be forgotten and forgiven soon enough.

axelb, StooXex and Nachi like this.
  2. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Thanks that sounds like you actually took something we said to heart :)
    I think people here are open minded enough, but this is still not a forum about sexual preferences. And the way you wrote the OP is something you should perhaps discuss with your friends over a beer. Well maybe over several beers and really not in the presence of (sober) women, lol :D

I appreciate you did the effort to reevaluate your post or at least clarify yourself in a better way. :)

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Now, listen, I'm with you on cargo shorts, but don't come after nut milks like this. Hazelnut milk improves all coffee, and most cereals.

Mangosteen likes this.
  4. Dead_pool

I've never tried hazelnut milk, but I'll try some next chance I get, thanks for the suggestion! I hope its as nice as normal milk plus hazelnut syrup (real syrup, sugar free by definition isn't syrup)!

hewho likes this.
  5. Lol, cheers!

Written communication always has the possibility of being misunderstood. Thanks, didn't meant to have the OP come across as sexual in any way, certain words I used may have had that connotation looking back in hindsight.

So, I'd like to please ask what MA workout videos anyone could recommend to get a good workout in? I have no idea where to look and what would fit into that category. I enjoy exercising in general and like to lift weights, swim and bicycle and I've dabbled in some yoga. Never tried an MA workout before but I hear it's really good for the body. Wrestling/grappling is what interests me but because of my current situation and this lock-down business etc, I can only learn from the internet for now so I may have to do 'striking art' workouts?

Before getting into learning the self-defense part of MA, I thought maybe trying some MA workouts would help to get an idea or a feel for this new planet I'm about to land on? Or maybe the self-defense parts are included in the workout? Excuse my ignorance. I have very superficial knowledge on MA and have no clue what I'm doing or what I need to do lol. I'd love to reach better fitness goals for myself and I'm always open to try new things.

Appreciate any feedback or recomendations in advance, thank you very much and I'll let you know how it goes

David Harrison and Nachi like this.
  6. Nachi

Cheers :)

I have personally never done any MA workout through a video (only tried yoga recently, haha), so unfortunately I don't have any tips in that area. Hopefully you will soon get the opportunity to get into a class physically as that would definitely be for the best. The only recomnedation I have would be to look into live online classes of a school that grabs your interest. I am pretty sure many are doing online classes at the moment. Both of the schools I go to, do. It is best that you can learn with actual teacher that can give you feedback, which would be much better than just doing something according to video.

I would also recommend starting a separate thread about this topic. People might overlook this question here.

7. Thanks Nachi, reckon I'll post a separate thread. The thing is, I like to learn things on my own which I guess doesn't work best with martial arts? Thing is, I don't want anyone to know that I'm getting into it, I want to kind of keep it to myself. Besides, I'm a bit of an introvert lol. Will have to see what's possible :)

axelb and Nachi like this.
  8. Nachi

Learning a martial on your own really isn't the best idea. I don't mean to say it is impossible if you have good instructions, but... you may learn many details wrong without you realising and without anyone to correct you. Learning the techniques without any resistance - be it pads, working with partners, etc. - correctly will be harder and generally it will take much longer and the result may be quite bad. I'd definitely recommend going to class. I am sure everyone here will tell you the same. There is nothing like learning with a good teacher. Being there with other people is also a great motivation and much more fun compared to learning at home. I wouldn't worry anyone would laugh at you in the MA school, in case you're worried about that. You'll also improve much faster.

I understand you may want to make your practice your personal thing, but you may still be able to keep it from the people around you if you wish, right? (thought hopefully if you enjoy it, you'd really want to share! :) ).
    I am mostly an introvert, too, so I understand, but...learning MA is a journey. And that journey starts with the courage to actually pick a class and go. If you don't enjooy the atmosphere, you can always try a different school. Most schools usually offer one or two free classes where you can try and never show up again if you don't want to.
    Are there any schools you might be interested in close to you?

David Harrison likes this.
  9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Get it posted, there is a wealth of knowledge here to help you out.

It's not ideal to learn martial arts remotely, but given the current global issues, it's become more prevalent to keep things moving.
    You can certainly get started, but don't let anyone fool you into thinking you can progress well without interaction.

If you are an introvert I can understand you feel you don't want to go to a class, but there is a lot an introvert can do in that environment. I know a lot of introverts who enjoy martial arts, they get on with it and keep the social interaction minimal focusing on the techniques and drills.

David Harrison likes this.
  10. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I get where you're coming from, I've always been more comfortable training solo fitness wise, but in martial arts there's no substitute for group sessions (when it's safe and legal). You'll end up liking those people, and sharing the journey. You don't have to tell anyone else in your life if you don't want to. Good luck!

11. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

An interesting concept: the validity of subjective statements and whether or not what you choose to measure can, or is, measuring it. Unless of course, you meant that the statements have subjective validation to ourselves, wherein I would argue every statement has subjective validation unless made in bad faith.

I'm not sure many people really do value that sort of democracy. At least the majority of philosophers from Socrates on did not, nor the founding fathers of the United States (nor any modern country, though I was referring to their personal philosophy). Perhaps Marx or one of the newer schools of thought?

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Well, Marx was different in that he believed in universal suffrage, contrary to Socrates and the founding fathers who did not trust the working class, women or slaves to have any say in how their nation was run.

Is that what you meant?

Dead_pool likes this.
  13. Dead_pool

I belive Keanu Reeves also mirrors what Karl M said on this, although that may just be Neo Marxism...........

I'll get my coat.....

axelb and Nachi like this.
  14. Thanks Nachi, not worried about people laughing at me, I just love to learn things solo or more personally, one on one rather in groups.

There's a judo school just up the road from me but I don't know whether they're still operating or not due to all this lock-down business etc. Since I'm in Greece, there's also a pankration school nearby as well and a BJJ school in Athens some distance away which I hear is pretty good.

Right now, I just want to try out some MA workouts to kind of get a feel for it I guess :)

15. Thanks will do!

Cheers : )

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Hey!
    The development in this thread is great!
    May I ask if you currently exercise?
    Theres a number of body weight movements that are good to learn to get the feel of grappling.

Things like pushups, lunges, get ups, cartwheel and handstands are all essential grappling movements.

Subconscious Sailboat likes this.
  17. Mangosteen

@Dead_pool I am absolutely disgusted by your opinion.

Hazelnut milk hot chocolate is basically liquid nutella.
    High quality soy milk is delicious with a youtiao (an unfrosted yumyum)

18. Hey, thanks! Yes, I am lifting weights at the moment, looking into picking up bicycling and swimming again in the Spring and Summer months.

Interesting, most of those movements that you mentioned is what I usually do. A lot of resistance exercises with some dumb-bells and a bench :)

Mangosteen likes this.
  19. Mangosteen

That's awesome! I hate working out at home, grappling classes are great as you're exercising with friends and all pushing each other to improve skills so it doesnt feel like exercise.

MOVNAT and GMB have lots of really great grappling movement programs.

I strongly recommend BJJ when you get to it. It's very open in the ruleset so there is constant innovation.
    I personally didnt like judo until I had 1 on 1 coaching.

Subconscious Sailboat likes this.
  20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm a pretty extreme introvert who got into martial arts to build confidence (many years ago). So much so that lockdown has barely changed my life that much (aside from not training with others).
    But simply put...to learn a martial art you have to get out there an interact with people of all shapes, sizes, temperaments, abilities and attitudes. "People" are the terrain you must navigate to learn a martial art.
    And honestly once you get going they aren't that bad. You get the odd bad egg but for the most part martial artists are great people.
    To get all soppy for a minute I believe martial arts is all about balance. Not standing on one leg balance but balancing the "self".
    Naturally aggressive people need to tone it down to train safely with others, strong people need to learn to control it and not hurt others, weak people need to get stronger, shy people need to become more assertive, etc etc
    Everyone evens out the rough edges and meets somewhere in the middle.
    That stuff doesn't happen by default...you need to apply yourself with those goals and assesment of yourself in mind.