Why I Prefer Dating Women Who Are Martial Artists

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Subconscious Sailboat, Apr 24, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How I felt about halfway through the thread:

Edit, slightly naughty language towards the end....
    Sorry, feel free to delete if needed.

Nachi and axelb like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Come for opening post...stayed for the lols.

Dan Bian, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Dead_pool

This is my new favourite channel, thank you for sharing!

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

James Linker (that his name?) is hella funny. :)

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Dead_pool

I think so yes,
    Fully qualified and dad jokes for days!
    :)

axelb likes this.
  6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

honesty can get you killed bro

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Funny, last year was catching up with an old female friend since childhood.
    It had been several years.
    I was quite surprised, when she told me she was a big fan of his.

I said I had come across some of his stuff, but not really followed him or anything. Not much exposure to be fair, but I've gotten the gist I think.
    Recall admiring some of his arguments, and his style. I mean he's a bloody good sophist that's for sure.
    I would probably find his Mythology stuff interesting, and mentioned that.

She highly recommended his talks and the like. This is from an intelligent woman, a qualified lawyer and a mother.
    Did find it a bit odd not gonna lie, kind of knowing the type he might typically attract.
    Just nodded and said yea, he's a smart guy.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

OMG

I have to go to bed, it's gotten so late
    but I have to come back for more
    I think I've fallen in love with MAP all over again lol
    This is epic and I've only gotten to page 10.

"do your own research"
    someone (another old female friend) actually said that to me today.
    I replied, does that basically involve listening to conspiracy theories on the internet?

She'd sent me a clip on whats app the other day about the pandemic.. conspiracy stuff. guys we need to talk about that!
    I ended up asking her if she had had the vaccine; well no, why would she!!
    It's just bad apparently..

It's uncanny, she has an Ozone machine and has offered me therapy in the past.
    I mean I love this girl - literally she was was a huge crush when I was 21.
    But thought it was quackery and just kinda skirted around it.

Maybe it works, I just don't know. I mean she really studied hard and knew tons of stuff.
    Medical stuff as we were talking a fair bit about it - I had just had the onset of high blood pressure late 2019 and she was trying to help me out.
    Of course she didn't want me taking the pills.. but I was not having it at all. I was actually pretty worried as it had gotten over 200 at some points.
    Nuts!

9. Dead_pool

cloudz likes this.
  10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe by Dean Radin

curious if you've read this
    personally found it to be pretty cool
    in these reviews there is a guy who questions his inference of some of the statistics; which is fair enough
    if you're interested in the subject matter, this guys books are worth a look for sure.

as for real
    man you could write (or read) a hundred books on what that does and doesn't mean and still be none the wiser!
    but that's just the opinion of one guy who's brain has definitely fallen out :D

David Harrison likes this.
  11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

you were doing ok, till you added prayer to the list. in my opinion..
    but yea, ok.

your point about what is of benefit is an interesting one, for sure, and placebo is a phenomenon that remains unexplained.
    however people still bandy it around like oh, that explains it!

brilliant :)

12. Dead_pool

Dean Radin - Wikipedia

This is well worth a read.

I hate to break it to you, god isn't real, asking the universe for favours is just as silly as asking god or Thor or Zeus for favours.

It's all nonsense.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And then I said...."You can literally find someone, somewhere who will advocate the efficacy of anything." Well there you go.
    Prayer just happens to be the woo-woo you think is true. Most people probably have some woo-woo in their closet somewhere if they look hard enough.
    Other people will have a problem with reiki being on that list (it really works I tell you!) but not prayer (that's a load of religious nonsense!).
    You can swap any of them in and out of the list (and people will).

We don't need to fully understand how placebo works in order to take it into account when trying to work out which interventions work or which interventions are exploiting it in order to appear as if they work.

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'm always suspicious of people coming out of the Institute of Noetic Sciences. One of the reviews did make me look up Daryl Bem though, so thanks for that!

A fascinating read about how a paper proving ESP led to psychologists devising an experiment where listening to The Beatles made subjects younger: Daryl Bem Proved ESP Is Real. Which Means Science Is Broken.

15. David Harrison

Gods don't have to be real for prayer to work.

Unfortunately, the evidence for prayer is not good: Efficacy of prayer - Wikipedia

16. David Harrison

I've long thought that medicine should embrace the placebo effect much more, and create more of a psychological impact.

The doctor will see you now:
    [​IMG]

Smitfire likes this.
  17. Dead_pool

It depends what you mean by "work" if you mean, can prayer make things happen that arnt explained by other causes, then no it can't work.

If you mean, can it make me feel a bit better and maybe boost a placebo effect, then I wouldn't define that as "prayer working"

Anymore then me crossing my fingers when I lie on the phone, means my ancient ninja magic kuji is working.

18. David Harrison

I would. If something has a statistically significant effect, then I would describe that as something that "works" (although prayer doesn't seem to).

The mechanism is secondary to me, as long as the effect is real. For instance, I've been told that physiotherapists use infrared and ultrasound machines as placebo, even though it is the patient's own diligence in following a rehab exercise routine that actually works, but people's faith in science and technology makes those mysterious machines an excellent placebo, and if people feel more confident about their treatment and maybe have some pain relief from the placebo, then they are more likely to follow the rehab routine. Anecdotal, I know, but it certainly seems plausible on the face of it, to me.

Where the mechanism becomes important is in explaining and refining these placebo measures, which I think should receive a lot more attention and funding to make them more effective.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

That's a fair point, although ultra sound and Infrared both have physically effects on the body, which encourage the patient to do the rehab, so there not really placebo, anymore them antidepressants are a placebo, when they allow a patient some time and energy to get to counselling.

I suppose you could say, prayer can work, but only as a placebo, and not in any supernatural manor.

20. David Harrison

Review of Therapeutic Ultrasound: Effectiveness Studies

Infrared therapy does have actual effects, but they are still working out what those effects are, and it was used in medicine for years before they had clinical evidence for it.