why I love qigong

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Taiji_Lou, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Taiji_Lou can expect to get the same amount of abuse as anyone arrogant enough to believe they can teach themselves MA.

2. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I don't have to stand abuse. I've also got almost a year in taekwondo. Once I learned those techniques, I bounced. Forms are useless for hard training. It's called learn the techniques, do the situps on your own time. Stretch it out and spar or hit the bag. Drills maybe. This spending 20 minutes reviewing forms was malarchy. I ended up teaching myself forms 5-7 from books, and that worked just fine. I found the illustrations appropriate and informative.

Of course, grandmaster Park was a little upset, but oh well....

Couldn't care less about what they called it in Korea.

I think the MAs are the arrogant ones (sometimes). I train hard and I'm not asking for a pretty belt or anything. I do tai chi in warmup sweats.

Unless you're willing to drive to me and give me instruction for my work (wash car! paint fence! paint house!) I don't wanna hear any more of any one elses bull crap.

And unless you've put the time in doing the research and gathering evidence and experimenting with qigong or pranayama I don't really care about your opinion, either. Those exercises work, and anyone telling me they don't is just a negative nancy naysayer. Go bother your girlfriend. I don't want to hear any more.

But if you have something intelligent or positive to say, speak up. I've been nice. If we were face to face, I think you'd be civil and polite!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A beginner, just going into intermediate.

You think you can learn all the sublety of forms or MA in general from a book?

Our time is spent researching with books, videos and in the class. This is what we are trying to say to you. Don't be a paper tiger, go to a class and train properly. Why do you think you can become a skilled Tai Chi exponent by studying from a book?

When I go to meet clients in my work, I can tell immediately the difference between the ones who came through the ranks, the ones who came through the ranks but continued their study and the ones who have only gone through college and gained all their information from books.

Again, why don't you drive or take public transport to a class, that's what we do.

The reason you get called is because you don't go to a class. I struggle like mad some days to get to class in time, I bet many others are the same, but you cannot be bothered.

I teach for next nothing after hall fees, insurance and the rest of it is taken into account. I give up my Sunday morning to teach three students, because they wanted an extra class, this nets me a £1.00 profit after hall hire and you expect guys/girls here to listen to you who has been self taught from a book.

If money is tight (and don't try to tell me how tight money can be), do some research and find an insructor like me who is more than willing to encourage a new student.

I have had students call me and say "I cannot come any more due to money worries". I have told them to keep coming and not to worry about the money. Still they don't come.:bang: Instructors who train for the love of the art are out there, it is the students who need to get of their butts.

Get to class. Then put up a post which says, "just gone to a new Tai Chi school, wow, so much to learn", Instructor is awesome".

4. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Hi,

"Chi" or life force exists,it cant catapult someone into the sky or make people drop at your feet but it does exist.It can be felt as the life within your body,your inner body so to speak.

It lies between the manifested, your form(your body)and the unmanifested,the formless within you,the unborn,your true nature.it is the bridge between the manifested and the unmanifested.

this can be discoverered through meditation.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

But not through science.

6. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Hi,im not to sure,i havent followed the attempts of testing that much....probably or not yet maybe.

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

In lies within the infested.

Those who's mind are infested by the very notion

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I liked quigong ..it broke my heart when they shot him off of the empire state building.

9. Simon

LOL:)

10. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

Don't even try with these people, dude. They don't want to hear it.

11. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

You know what? I hope you are put in a situation where you find yourself in dire straits emotionally, and you end up using meditation and qigong or yoga to help you balance yourself. The irony would be so great.:mad:

12. holyheadjch

Hey, if you want to believe that Chi is some mystical force that you can only 'realise' through meditation, fine, I got no more problem with that than I do with the Zombie saviour society, the Xeno brigade or the Elephant God guys. In short, believe whatever the hell you want. But when you start trying to force that stuff into a scientific context, without credible evidence, then expect to get slapped down, hard.

13. holyheadjch

...no irony here, Alanis; I have a meditation practice and I still think you're full of it.

14. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I didn't ask you what you thought. You found yourself in a thread that I started regarding a subject that you have a disregard for. That doesn't say anything about me. It tells me that you've got a penchant for wasting your own time.

You have a meditation practice? Fantastic. Thanks for telling me about yourself.

15. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I just pray to Allah he hasn't done a year at medical school

16. Simon

No irony here. I have used the methods you suggest, I just have access to experts, with a traceable lineage. Check out my homepage for futher info.

Please post a picture of your book collection so we can see your lineage.

17. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

I'm happy for you that you have access to excellent resources.

I don't know brother, I've got a pretty large book collection (built from NOTHING in 4 years time!!!!).

That was a nice thing to say. Thanks for being such a positive person and just a great ambassator of the MA world.

When I find it to be financially SAFE to approach tai chi instruction and when I have enough time, maybe. Sure. Until then, I guess I'll have to wallow in misery knowing that my imperfect form isn't good enough for the guys online....:rolleyes:

Till then, I guess I'll just have to practice all by my lonesome....

18. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Why don't you go and find a teacher? If you live in or near a city of atleast 100k, then you'll more than likely see some Chinese people doing it in the park at sunrise for free.

19. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

man taiji lou. you never cease to entertain me.

20. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I think Taiji Lou is right. You don't need to go to class to learn a form. It's pointless. You can learn it on your own. In my opinion a more progressive class would slate forms for home study and dedicate class time to more effective practice. The most progressive schools do away with forms all together.

I don't believe there is a difference between learning a form from a teacher, and learning a form from a book. In terms of combative ability, both are practically useless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.